Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New to triathlons
Quote | Reply
As post says, I'm a noob. And first and foremost, kudos to all of you hardcore athletes, I have the utmost respect for your efforts. Little about me, former military (Army infantry) and since then I got a little "bigger". I'd be in the top ten if you were picking a team to get out of a bad bar, but the last if you were picking a run relay team. I've dropped about 65 pounds so far, and completed my first sprint last weekend, so I'm getting there. I'll never be world class, and I'm good with that. Couple questions though: first bike, Cervelo P3 di2. Any issues? It fits me well (I was low and long, and this frame "fit me") per a professional. Second, wife is doing 1/2 IM, and looking for suggestions on food intake during race. 100 or so calories per hour is her thinking now, but open to ideas. Thanks in advance, and again nothing but respect to all of you.
Quote Reply
Re: New to triathlons [Cmatthews7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You'll get more replies, but for the 70.3 distance, I think the general rule of thumb is 250 calories per hour during the bike.
Congrats on getting into the sport! P3 w/di2 is a nice bike!
Quote Reply
Re: New to triathlons [SBRcoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, so she should be looking at 250 per hour during the bike? And run is what? Any thoughts on what? So, so many articles and products out there, I'd love to here from some real world experiences on what people like, what is convenient, etc. She is bigger framed/build, so she isn't looking to get to Kona, but she is competitive and does well in most tris in her category. And thanks again!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I -think- most folks, by the time they hit the run, they are just taking in a little bit at each 2km aid station as needed. You are no longer trying o fuel for the 'next' leg, just trying to get through those last 1.5 to 2 hours of bouncing without upsetting your stomach or hitting the wall.
I think I usually take in a gel in the first 1-2km, then another around the 10km mark. Other than that, I take a mouthful of water, gatorade, or coke at each of the aid stations (usually every 2km).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cmatthews7 wrote:
As post says, I'm a noob. And first and foremost, kudos to all of you hardcore athletes, I have the utmost respect for your efforts. Little about me, former military (Army infantry) and since then I got a little "bigger". I'd be in the top ten if you were picking a team to get out of a bad bar, but the last if you were picking a run relay team. I've dropped about 65 pounds so far, and completed my first sprint last weekend, so I'm getting there. I'll never be world class, and I'm good with that. Couple questions though: first bike, Cervelo P3 di2. Any issues? It fits me well (I was low and long, and this frame "fit me") per a professional. Second, wife is doing 1/2 IM, and looking for suggestions on food intake during race. 100 or so calories per hour is her thinking now, but open to ideas. Thanks in advance, and again nothing but respect to all of you.

As a short course guy, I've got nothing to add to help your wife, but what I bolded is kinda funny.

Hardcore seems to fit Army infantry much better than triathlon.

Respect goes the other way - We all need to respect you. (I definitely do)

THANK YOU for your service and allowing us to be safe and play this silly (but fun) game

If you are looking for similar minded people to train with, consider joining team RWB. http://www.teamrwb.org/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am new-ish in the sense that I had not ridden a bike in 25 years, and I jumped all in last year with a HIM being my first race. Everything was pretty much brand new to me then, and I sorted it out in about four months from first climbing on a bike to jumping into open water for the first time in an HIM.

First, the P2/P3 is an industry standard that works very well for a lot of people. And Di2 is some serious magic. Depending on the price, it is awesome. But, it is also worth looking at other top tier bikes in the same price class as the P3/Di2 you are considering and other Di2 bikes at lower price points. For example, MSRP of a P3 Di2 is $5,800. However there may be faster and cheaper Di2 bikes out there for you. The savings could give you budget space for wheels, which would speed you up.

Food is something you will just have to figure out as you put in the long rides. For me, I mixed double-density Infinit in two bottles and drank about 300 calories/hour during HIM while also drinking regular water on the course. Then, I drank a small amount of the course sport drink at about every stop on the run. I want to tune that, but I have not found solids that work for me yet on the bike.
Quote Reply