Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New to cycling...butt is killing me!!!!
Quote | Reply
Ok, so I just bought my new bike (Cervelo Dual, pics to follow as soon as I take some, I promise!), and it's great. Got a great fit by the LBS, and I think I'm sitting the way I should be for the aero position....i.e. sit bones aren't on the seat, I'm positioned on the nose of the seat for flat riding, etc. I've been on two trainer rides since getting it. Monday and Tuesday. Monday I made it 30 minutes before my legs and butt cried uncle (first time ever riding a road/tri bike), Tuesday my butt was sore as soon as I sat on the saddle, and thus I only made it a 20 minute ride due to my sit point on my butt hurting so bad, legs were fine.

Here's exactly where it hurts...the sitting point on my saddle is right in the middle of my "butt" right behind my manly goods. I guess you refer to this as the taint, right? And that's where I am sore. My manly stuff is completely fine, no pain there, no pain in my sit bones or my actual butt. But right where the pressure point is, I'm sore as hell as soon as I plop down on the seat to ride. Throughout the rest of the day everything is good whether I'm sitting in a chair, standing, running, or whatever.

My question is....am I sitting in the right spot and is this normal and will it ever go away? I seriously can't ride for more than 30 minutes due to the pain. how long will it take for this to go away seeing that I'm a brand new cyclist? Should I keep riding every day a little bit through the pain to speed things up, or wait a couple days in between rides?

Thanks in advance,
Chad

BTW, I searched and didn't find exactly what I was looking for.....atleast I tried.
Quote Reply
Re: New to cycling...butt is killing me!!!! [TriNuke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Read these:

http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/.../saddlecomfort.shtml

http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/bikes/saddle.shtml

http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/store/re-fit.shtml

It will take a bit of time to get used to it. Don't get too carried away, you have to let your body adapt.

Forget speedwork. Speedwork is the icing on the cake and you don't have a cake yet. - MattinSF

Basically they have 9 tenants, live life to the fullest, do not turn the cheak, and embrace the 7 deadly since. - TheForge (on satanists)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Read Tom Demerly's "Three Steps to Saddle Comfort".

I think it comes down to good shorts and time in the saddle.

I was in the same boat as you. I invested in a good pair of shorts (no more $45 cheapies) and it was a big improvement. Also, starting out requires more time off than on. You need to heal. After a few days, ride some more. Gradually build up your "bike crotch" into an old callous.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Part of the reason people can ride on the front of the saddle like that for significant amounts of time is that they are taking a lot of weight through their (already cycling-fit) legs as they deliver the power to the pedals. Learning to ride in that position is bound to be painful. What's the rush as far as starting out in an aggressive time trial position for your initial rides? It's not like you can't get fit riding in a conventional position. Why not set the bike up so you can use the saddle as it was designed, with your sit bones on it, and ease into it, if not effort wise at least adaptation wise? There's no reason it should hurt any more than when you were riding the spin bike. Also, how often are you standing up to relieve the pressure? A stationary trainer is murder if you don't get out of the saddle more than you might need to on the road where you are more likely to be adjusting your weight over bumps, coasting around corners etc.
Last edited by: skip: Mar 21, 07 14:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Completely normal. When I got my first road/tri bike nearly 3 years ago, same problem. Massive taint pain. Several saddles and pairs of shorts later, I'm finally comfortable (as comfortable as one can be resting one's body weight on a narrow piece of equipment like a bike saddle.
For me, in the beginning the Performance Century Gel shorts did the trick, and I found that I like plenty of cushioning along with a cutout and a little more width in the back of the saddle. Others here seem to be most comfortable on the hard, narrow saddles. You really have to try different stuff. Oh, and slather on the Chamois Butt'r. That will prevent chaffing.

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
also something to consider, but i can ride for hours outside with no pain, 35 min on the trainer and i am dying.

that being said, does anyone know if the saddle on the dual has changed? the one that came on the older dual (the red one, 05 model?) was the worst thing i have ever sat on.

Quote Reply
Re: New to cycling...butt is killing me!!!! [newbz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have an '06 Dual and it came with a Selle San Marco saddle that was Cervelo-branded. I lasted about 2 rides on that thing and moved on to a different saddle.

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Re: New to cycling...butt is killing me!!!! [TriBodyboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i think the 05 one was a diff model, same brand, sucked balls

Quote Reply
Re: New to cycling...butt is killing me!!!! [newbz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It definitely takes a while to get get your butt used to riding, so patience is required (as others have suggested). But if things don't improve with time, it could be the saddle. In my opinion, saddles are a little like shoes. I've found that some saddles just don't "fit" my anatomy. I once gladly threw a saddle in the trash after 25 miles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Give it another few weeks. If there is only marginal improvement, go back to the LBS and try a bunch of different saddles. They are as individual as shoe fits. Specialized has a decent sizing concept for "seat bone" sitting, but I ride primarily on the nose and appreciate the extra gel in the Profile Design Tri Stryke Ti and the price is right too. Selle San Marcos has a nice gel padded nose, and you could always try a QR seat cover on your current seat.

Good luck. This is very important. Take the time to get it right, or you'll quit the sport!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just make sure you take the necessary steps to avoid this:

http://www.fatcyclist.com/...s-and-their-sources/

Forget speedwork. Speedwork is the icing on the cake and you don't have a cake yet. - MattinSF

Basically they have 9 tenants, live life to the fullest, do not turn the cheak, and embrace the 7 deadly since. - TheForge (on satanists)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it gets better.

Quote | Reply
someone may have mentioned it, but standing up for like 1 minute every 15-20 minutes or 30 minutes can help a lot. I dont get saddle sores that much when i ride outdoors, but when im on the trainer my butt hurts a lot, so standing for 1 min every once in a while helps a lot...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It'll get better, but here's a coupla suggestions for ya in the meantime:

1 - Assos chamois cream - expensive, and worth every penny and then some.

2 - DeSoto 400 Mile Bib Shorts - the best bibs for the "least" coin.

3 - Might wanna mess around w/ the saddle position, perhaps a bit more forward so more real estate is being supported might be good. Or w/ bikes that have non-aero (better known as round) seattubes, you can *slightly* rotate the saddle to one side or the other so yer junk is outta the way when you sit on it, another way to potentially get a bit more surface area supported by the saddle.

4 - Keep the taintular region clean. I mean spotless, shower and use antibacterial soap after every ride, get those bike shorts off ASAP. You also wanna make sure said area is clean before you ride, baby wipes are quite good in this regard, kinda like the old joke about "how is TP like the Starship Enterprise - they both wipe out Klingons from Uranus."
I'll be here all week, try the veal! ;-)

5 - if after a few more rides it's still not better, shitcan that saddle and try a new different one.
The stock saddle my Felt came with sucked balls. I've got an Arione Tri on there now, and I'm a much happier camper. Built up to an 8.5hr ride, no problemo.

PS - it'll get better. I'd take a coupla days in between rides, part of the joy of Tri is that you have at least 2 other sports you can be doing during that down time.

Eventually you'll have a taint of steel, then you can ride a century day after day, and wear the same pair of unwashed shorts, and like it.

float , hammer , and jog

Last edited by: Murphy'sLaw: Mar 21, 07 19:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you have recieved a lot of good advice and suggestions so far.

I will add these points some new, some just to reiterate what others said:

* Bike fit, bike fit, bike fit!
* NO UNDIES with bike shorts! Many of us "ASSume" newbies know this.....come on we were taught to wear clean underwear wherever we go. Don't wear them- go nudie under the bike shorts. If I could only count how many panty/undy lines I see out there! ---O-U-C-H---
* trainer rides are OH so different that road rides. They are always harder, stiffer, and much more suffering on a trainer.
* time will toughen up the family jewels or "bits".
* GREAT bike shorts are well worth the $$$$
* Chamois cream is a "GOOD THING".

If you don't get saddle sores- you are not really a cyclist. (ducking now)

Carry on!
Last edited by: Lopi: Mar 21, 07 19:34
Quote Reply
Re: New to cycling...butt is killing me!!!! [Lopi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks so much for all the advice guys. Mainly I just wanted to make sure that I was actually sitting on the right part of the seat, which it looks like I am.

I'll let you know how it goes, and I'll get some bike pics up soon!

Chad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the same issues a few years ago. Tom Demerly's site (as already referenced) was the most help for me. I like to call it 'Taintenance'. I have also found that there is no magic saddle that will be instantly comfortable. gradually building up mileage helped me.
Quote Reply
Re: New to cycling...butt is killing me!!!! [Jetplane19] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good point but sometimes regardless of time in the saddle you can just get sore.
i.e. got a new bike and threw a PD-Tri saddle on it with lots of padding in the nos (specifically for IM's) and it rubbed me the wrond way. I threw my ald arione on it and was immediately pain free. And sometimes I will wear ASSOS chamios butter on rides londer than 2 hours as a preventetive thing.
But yes overall I think that TIS and positioning along with a good chamois is a great place to start.

~The B
The new poster child for triathlon...Pretty Boy Billy
(lets see if that sticks)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All fine advice – I will merely point out that if things do not get better within a reasonable amount of time to check the width of your sits bones and that certain saddles come in widths. It can make a huge difference.
-----------------

Born again Heathen
In Case of Keith Moon - Break This Glass
Ironman Certified Coach
USAT Certified Coach
Precision Nutrition Certified
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All good advice above. Number one for me is time in the saddle. I'm just now riding my tri/TT bike after months on my road bike and I'm a little uncomfortable as I get used to it all over again.

Several people have noted that you have to find the right saddle for you. True, but I also find that when riding my tri bike the same saddle can be heaven or hell with only a minor tweaks. For example: I like the Azoto Tri Gel saddle but if I have it tilted even a tiny bit too far up or down, it absolutely kills me; it took a lot of trial and error to find the sweet spot. Same goes for my Arione Tri, I freaking hated it for the first few rides, but I played with it until I found the angle that it worked for me.
Quote Reply