Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New to Tri....Bike Questions
Quote | Reply
I'm new to the sport and I'd like to finally get a bike. I've been looking at Cannondales, Felts (S32, S22), 05 Cervelo Duals, and 06 Trek E9's. Can you guys offer some opinions on these bikes and price ranges I should look for considering I want to buy used. And any other bike recommendations would be great. Im about 5'10 1/2 and about 155 pounds. Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: New to Tri....Bike Questions [larsyboy9] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You should start with a fitting to make sure that you are looking in the right direction. All of these bikes differ in their respective geometry. After that you will know your ideal "fit" and you can compare that to the standard geometries of those bikes. Speaking of the bikes, they are all good choices, but could be the worst choise if it doesn't fit you properly. As a newbie, you are in a good position to make the right choice FIRST as opposed to backing in to it later down the line, when you realize a bike is too big or too small.

Ladera Cyclery...Gone but not forgotten..
F.I.S.T. Certified, UBI Trained Mechanic
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go to a bike shop that has a quality fitting program. Any of the FIST certified shops (Dan has a list on the main site) would be a good place to start. Better to buy a lower-end new bike that fits that trying to squeeze onto a used bike that doesn't. There are plenty of outstanding bikes in the $1500 range, which is where I'd start to look. Too much cheaper than that and you end up with a sort of "do-everything-but-nothing" sort of bike. Also, better to get a good frame with cheaper components than vice versa. My first road bike was a Litespeed Tuscany, that I outfitted with Shimano 105 at the time. That frame will last me forever, and most of the low end components are very, very good, usually it's only a weight penalty vs. the top of the line stuff. I'd follow a similar logic were I buying a tribike today -- good frame with 105. All of those frames are great, but I'd like to recommend QR as well. The entry level bikes - the Kilo and Tequilo - are really great. But a good shop with a good fitter to help set you up is the most important thing. You'll be faster as a rider with a $500 fit (not that it will cost that much) on a $500 bike than with a $5 fit on a $5000 bike.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I'd like to finally get a bike"

What is your previous biking experience?

A tri bike is not always your first best option. If you haven't had a lot of cycling experience a road bike is a better way to go. Road bikes are more versatile and handle better plus you can join a road group and learn the basics of cycling. Add a pair of shorty clip-ons and you're ready to tri. If you like the sport then get a tri bike later.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LarsyBoy - All the bikes you've named are fine bikes, what's far more important are: size, geometry, and grouppo (components). Go to your Local Bike Shop (LBS) and learn all you can. You may end up back there to buy new, but leave there the first time understanding of: 1) what size bike is right for you (some shops suck at this and some are great) 2) what the difference is between the full line of both Campy and Shimano's grouppo. Then go shop the used market with that knowledge, there are some good deals out there. Once you obtain the bike - either new from the shop or used from ebay and the ilk then get it fitted properly - it'll really make a world of difference.
All the best, Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ditto the other responses. When I got into this sport I did my research and had my mind made up what bike I wanted (QR Kilo). i went to my LBS and they explained that a Cervelo One might be a better fit for a guy of my build. I rode them both and my mind was changed in less than an hour.

Find a good LBS that can fit you, you won't regret it.
Quote Reply
Re: New to Tri....Bike Questions [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been training on my crappy old road bike with the Team for the past 2 1/2 months. Riding 3-4 times a week 1-2 hours per ride. I have been told that buying a bike that is a little to small is better than buying one to big. Some of my teammates who arent as tall as me have 56's. I have not been on a 58. The owners of the bike store said I should be buying a 56 or 58 and stay away from 54's. They said I have a longer torso than average.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While I'll agree that buying a bike that is slightly too small is better than a bike that's too big - you're only scratching the surface with the "size" of 56cm. Take some extra time to research and learn about seat tube angle and top tube length. You're posting on Slowtwitch so I'm suspecting that triathlon may be in your future and you'd do well to acquire a bike that might allow you expanded tirathlon performance (steeper seat tube angle & shorter top tube length) than a classic road bike (shallower seat tube angle & longer top tube length). Seriously, 3 days of research and investigation could save you hundreds of dollars and year on the wrong bike.
Let the due diligence begin!
Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Too bad you missed out on the great deal InsideOutSports had last weekend on some nice entry level tri bikes. They went like hotcakes.
Quote Reply