Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
New to ST and looking for a good bike fitter....help please!
Quote | Reply
Hi all, my name is Jane and my husband is Joe. I know, kind of cliche, but totally not a joke! I am pretty new here. I have lurked for a few days now and finally decided to sign up with a name. First, let me start by saying how much value there is to this website. I really appreciate the contributions made by everyone, they have been very helpful to my husband and I. We're just getting started with only a few races behind us and hopefully many more going forward.

We live very far from any LBS so we purchase most things online. Everything seems to ship in a timely fashion, but it's time for new bikes. We have both been riding road bikes for the few races we've done and are interested in triathlon bikes. I've read here that fitting is very important, but I'm not sure where to start. I would be willing to travel, but I'm not sure where I can get the best fit. I know I should look for someone F.I.S.T. certified, but I guess I kind of feel like just because you went to school to be a doctor, that doesn't make you a good doctor. Doesn't the same thing go for bike fitting? I can't imagine that all certified F.I.S.T. fitters fit the same and have the same style, or that they are all great fitters.

This is really important, because my husband and I plan on purchasing the 2 bikes and various other equipment. However, with the season fast approaching, we cannot afford to order a bike, wait for it to come in, find out it doesn't fit and then try to find a new one. Also, we don't really have the funds to do that. This is kind of a one shot deal. I want to be sure that we receive the best fit and bikes for us. I want to do some research on shops that have good fitters, does anyone know where I can start? And does the shop have a website?

Thanks in advance.

"What really matters is not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog."

Last edited by: JaneAndJoseph: Mar 19, 07 7:58
Quote Reply
Re: New... [JaneAndJoseph] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hear there may be a reputable store in Dearborn Michigan. Check the website out: http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/

Where are you?

------------------------

Toronto Retailer and Fitter

hellovelo.ca
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Welcome. ;)

It would help folks make suggestions if we knew what general area of the country (or state) you live in? If you are willing to travel/make a vacation out of it, your options are wide open.

----
Don't hold back
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Welcome to the "twitch." This forum will be quite entertaining for you at times and quite useful as well.

As far as finding a good fitter and tri shop, it would be helpful for us to know where you live and then we can go from there.

Team Endurance Nation
Quote Reply
Re: New... [QuintanaRooster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry about that guys. Joe and I live in Fairland, Indiana. Thanks for all of your input. I am looking forward to what you have to say.

"What really matters is not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog."

Quote Reply
Re: New... [mudflaps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dearborn, isn't too far away, but I want to be sure I do my research and that we get the best fit. What other shops are reputable? I will check out this website though. Thanks.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Welcome and if I was anywhere near Dearborn, I would definitely go see Tom.

Quote | Reply
Looks like you are about 327 miles from Dearborn, Michigan---home of Tom demerly and Bikesport Michigan. I think if I was only 5 hours driving time from Tom, I'd pay him a visit. I am sure however someone will know of some good fitters and shops closer. Check out Tom's website www.bikesportmichigan.com . He apparently has a good selection of bikes. Good luck with your quest. Let us know what you decided on and once again, welcome to Slowtwitch.

Team Endurance Nation
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will take a look at Bike Sport and their website, but like I said, I don't want to put all of my eggs in one basket. Any other suggestions?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You may want to change the subject of your post to reflect that you are looking for a bike fitter near Indianapolis as you are likely to get more useful replies. I don't have any recommendations for your area but you should look for fitters that carry several brands. If they carry only one or two makes of tri bikes, I am sure they will find that you are "perfectly" suited to the one they have available. Don't be in a hurry to buy the new bikes. You can always train on your current bikes while you are waiting. Of course, whenever I consider making a purchase, it usually happens within a month--patience has never been a virtue of mine!

Good luck and welcome!
Quote Reply
Re: New... [RandyS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Okay, thanks for the advice. I will change the title.

As far as the bikes go, I heard that if I want to get a good fit, I will most likely be ordering a bike, not buying something off a rack. If this is the case, I am definitely not interested in just standing over a bike and having someone supposedly qualified tell me that it fits. I've been down that road before.

I see your point in making sure that the shop carries a few brands. I will most definitely make sure they do before I buy anything.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just checked out Bike Sport's website. Very informative. A lot of photos and I actually saw some photos of a girl riding a bike with all men in a story about group rides in Dearborn I assume. That is very encouraging. I am still interested in other suggestions though. Bike Sport has a good website, but I am interested in having a few shops to choose from.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote | Reply
Another thing I just noticed is that I can purchase things online from Bike Sport. That is really good to know since, if I do decide to go to Michigan for a bike, I do not want to have to make the trip all the time. 5 hrs. once or twice is okay, but not all the time! Another pro for Dearborn, but come on guys, don't go dry on me here. There has to be other suggestions.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This very website lists two shops in Indiana that are FIST certified. A1 Cyclery, 6847 W. Washington St. Indianapolis and Carmel Cycling & Fitness, 625 3rd Ave SW, Carmel, Indiana. You could also do some checking and find out which bike shop is the sponsoring shop for the Muncie Endurathon. And don't let the distance be the determining factor. Tri bikes are a big investment and you want it done right. My wife and I drove 2 1/2 hours from Iowa to Mission Bay in Illinios to get fitted.
Quote Reply
Re: New... [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
? I don't understand.

Quote Reply
Re: New... [turtleherder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I heard from a few friends that A1 and Carmel were mostly road and mountain bikes. I don't know that for sure, but I will look into them. I guess it is worth a shot. Thanks.

Quote Reply
Re: New... [turtleherder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just checked out both of the sites for the shops you suggested. A1 looks like they really push Felt, and mostly carry road and mountain. Judging by some of the advice here, I need to make sure that they carry quite a few brands.

Carmel had two tri bikes, but also looks like they carry mostly road.

I keep running into this. Why is it that most shops only carry road bikes? Ugghh...

Quote Reply
Re: New to ST and looking for a good bike fitter....help please! [JaneAndJoseph] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are about 100 miles from Lebanon, OH, home of Bob Duncan and WheelieFun Bike Shop. Bob is probably one of the most knowledgeable people I know, and really takes into account your input. The website is so-so, but the knowledge base is top notch.

Quote | Reply
Hmmm...thanks. I will check them out too. What is their web address? And can I purchase gear online from them?

Quote Reply
Re: New to ST and looking for a good bike fitter....help please! [cslone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Okay, so I found their site. I saw that they carry a good amount of brands. But does this mean that they carry all the bikes that the brands make? Or just certain ones?

I notice I can't buy things online from them, but they are certainly closer than other shops suggested. I tried calling them and got a busy tone.

Is Bob a good tri bike fitter? Although my knowlege on this subject is limited, I do know that fit is important. Isn't it true that there are "road" bike fitters and "tri" bike fitters? Or is that just a bunch of malarkey? And if it's true, can you be both?

Quote Reply
Re: New to ST and looking for a good bike fitter....help please! [JaneAndJoseph] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just tried calling them again and got no answer this time. I also tried calling Bike Sport and didn't get an answer from them either. Weird.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bob does both fits. I went in two years ago for a tri bike fit, and he wanted to take a look at my road bike too. 2.5 hours later, I had a newly fit road bike and the numbers I needed for a tri bike. I can't directly say the fit is what got my race results, but in a round abou way they did. I was tons more comfortable on my bike, which made me train more, which made me able to hold an aero position longer. I went from a middle of the pack cat 5, to a front of the pack 4 in a year and have recently applied for my cat 3 upgrade.
He has been FIST certified, and everyone I talk to have been happy with their results. He is a stand up guy and really stand behind his products. As for the brands, they aren't a huge shop, but do have at least 20-30 bikes on the floor. I know the other day when I was there, he had the Scott Plasma, P2C, P3, a few Felts and Gurus. He also has his own branded bike, the WF-1, which he "designed" and has made in Taiwan, on top of his Custom Titanium Tri bikes, called Veritas.

Not that this makes him a better guy, but he does have the patent on the Profile Design Sonic Stryke Aerobars too. As far as buying online, I believe all it takes is a phone call for him to ship stuff to you.

Last edited by: cslone: Mar 19, 07 9:03
Quote Reply
Re: New to ST and looking for a good bike fitter....help please! [cslone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alright. That sounds pretty good.

Q: If he has 30 bikes on the floor, is he going to try to sell Joe and I one of those? Or will we order our bikes?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jane and Joseph;

Welcome to Slowtwitch.com!! regarding your questions and the best fitter/location, please come to Indy. The Carmel shop is no longer there, as of 1 March 2007.

Call 317-491-5205 and ask for Vern LaMere of FitTech by LaMere, here in Indy. Vern used to be located at the Carmel shop, but now has set-up shop on the westside of Indy, just off of 10st.

Check out his website www.fittechbylamere.com and Vern is also F.I.S.T. cert.

Kevin S.
www.roarkcycles.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next