Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
New running shoe brand....loving the SalmingEnRoute!
Quote | Reply
I just picked up a pair of a brand fairly new to the US from Sweden......Salming. Got the EnRoute model, which is a 6mm drop shoe. I have to say I have not seen such quality in a very long time. As I just got them, I have yet to get some miles on them, but wearing them pre run sure feels great! Take a look at them if you're searching.....https://www.salming.com/...a-pink/c-758/p-31553

Gary Geiger
http://www.geigerphoto.com Professional photographer

TEAM KiWAMi NORTH AMERICA http://www.kiwamitri.com, Rudy Project http://www.rudyprojectusa.com, GU https://guenergy.com/shop/ ; Salming World Ambassador; https://www.shopsalming.com
Quote Reply
Re: New running shoe brand....loving the SalmingEnRoute! [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gary - what an amazing coincidence. I just picked up a pair one week ago today at the Gasparilla Distance Classic running expo. So far, just 2 runs in them (4 and 10 miles) and they really are a great shoe. However, be careful on a hot run because the insert bleeds yellow. It was humid when I did the 10 mile run and although I was wearing black socks, I was amazed at the amount of yellow dye I squeezed out in the sink.

Paul Hough
Tampa
Quote Reply
Re: New running shoe brand....loving the SalmingEnRoute! [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Paul,

Thanks for the post and feedback. I appreciate the advice, and hopefully I can test that this weekend when I go to West Palm. Otherwise I'm stuck in cold Madison. My coach really loves them, so thought I'd give them a try. They seem to be really well made, so hopefully will work out well for me. I know it's a new player but I'm anxious to see how their technology can help. Old and slow, so grasping at straws! ;-)

HuffNPuff wrote:
Gary - what an amazing coincidence. I just picked up a pair one week ago today at the Gasparilla Distance Classic running expo. So far, just 2 runs in them (4 and 10 miles) and they really are a great shoe. However, be careful on a hot run because the insert bleeds yellow. It was humid when I did the 10 mile run and although I was wearing black socks, I was amazed at the amount of yellow dye I squeezed out in the sink.

Paul Hough
Tampa

Gary Geiger
http://www.geigerphoto.com Professional photographer

TEAM KiWAMi NORTH AMERICA http://www.kiwamitri.com, Rudy Project http://www.rudyprojectusa.com, GU https://guenergy.com/shop/ ; Salming World Ambassador; https://www.shopsalming.com
Quote Reply
Re: New running shoe brand....loving the SalmingEnRoute! [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is an amazing coincidence that someone that has Mark Allen Coaching Elite Team in their signature loves a brand that sponsors Mark Allen Coaching..

I mean what are the odds?

Boots
Fleet Feet Rochester, NY
Fleet Feet Buffalo, NY
YellowJacket Racing, Rochester, NY
Quote Reply
Re: New running shoe brand....loving the SalmingEnRoute! [FF Boots] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's amazing to you? I did mention that my coach, who seems to know a bit about Ironman and running, recommended them after I have become disgruntled with my previous Nikes. I was told the quality and the ride are exceptional when compared. When I become part of a group, as you see in the signature, I seek out ones I truly believe in. I am VERY discerning in my alliances and as you see feel strongly in promoting what I feel are awesome things. Not sure of your issue with that.....

FF Boots wrote:
It is an amazing coincidence that someone that has Mark Allen Coaching Elite Team in their signature loves a brand that sponsors Mark Allen Coaching..

Quote Reply
Re: New running shoe brand....loving the SalmingEnRoute! [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How does the sizing compare to Nikes? And, narrow? wide? Thx!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That was not in your original post which was the only one I saw.

I have no issue but lets be honest, Mark is paid to endorse the shoes, just like he was with Nike and Newton. When I was paid to endorse brands you better believe I promoted them and I was also very selective

Salming does make a nice shoe no doubt about that. I just saw your post as a product plug not necessarily a unbiased testimonial

Boots
Fleet Feet Rochester, NY
Fleet Feet Buffalo, NY
YellowJacket Racing, Rochester, NY
Quote Reply
Re: New running shoe brand....loving the SalmingEnRoute! [SBRcoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've found that they seem to be a slight bit wider, which will please most. The toe box is roomier at least in this model. As far as size, I had to size up in my Nikes to a 11.5 and the 11.5 in this model is about the same. They really are comfortable and once I get a few miles in them I'll see how they feel. Thanks for the question. With so many choices now it's a bit tougher to weed out the good ones, so I thought I'd share for those that aren't aware of them. As I said, the quality of the shoes are really top notch.

SBRcoffee wrote:
How does the sizing compare to Nikes? And, narrow? wide? Thx!
Quote Reply
Re: New running shoe brand....loving the SalmingEnRoute! [FF Boots] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fair enough. As I stated, I'm just switching and after rave reviews personally, not publicly, I thought they would be a good move. There seem to be a lot of relatively new players in the market all of a sudden, and with some concern as to the Newton brand I thought it may be a good way to offer ST an option. I have to say that I have shied away from products I did not have a good feel for and that has caused me to not affiliate with certain teams and brands. I did a lot of research on these before I looked closer at them.

FF Boots wrote:
That was not in your original post which was the only one I saw.

I have no issue but lets be honest, Mark is paid to endorse the shoes, just like he was with Nike and Newton. When I was paid to endorse brands you better believe I promoted them and I was also very selective

Salming does make a nice shoe no doubt about that. I just saw your post as a product plug not necessarily a unbiased testimonial
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FF Boots wrote:

But I have ZERO affiliation with Mark Allen. I am the sole sponsor of HuffnPuff and bought the shoes after trying them on an expo. Never heard of the brand before last week, but I liked how they felt and how they flex. I've got IMSA on 2 April and my shoe will probably be either this or the Clifton 3. I am wearing the same size on both shoes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First run today in them, and wow! I am impressed! Having come off a long layoff due to foot issues, I expected the worst but these shoes were amazing in how they shifted my landing to mid foot without any effort. It created a really nice run after expecting drudgery. It's early in the game, but I am really impressed!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A point of order: the shoe doesn't "shift your landing to midfoot." You shift your landing to "midfoot." (which, for most of us, the actual principal point of contact remains rearfoot, but the actual load-bearing stance phase of the gait cycle doesn't really occur until the CoG has moved forward to what we consider "midfoot.")

At any rate, per the FTC social media guidelines, it would behoove yourself to disclose in each post you make about this that you have a relationship with Salming via Mark Allen Coaching.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: New running shoe brand....loving the SalmingEnRoute! [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"(which, for most of us, the actual principal point of contact remains rearfoot, but the actual load-bearing stance phase of the gait cycle doesn't really occur until the CoG has moved forward to what we consider "midfoot.")"

by god i must give a shout out somebody who understands this. i think a part of asics' problems over the years is its insistence on rearfoot strike, engineering its shows as if as if first-contact is the entire story. i am so disappointed in the response of the running industry to hoka. i'm not saying they should copy hoka, because there's a number of things hoka is doing wrong and i'm not sure about hoka's future.

but there's a number of things hoka did right and it went from zero to over $100mm in annual sales, almost all without an export strategy, in a declining market.

sorry to hijack ;-)

i'm at our road show in north carolina at the moment, close to salming's U.S. headquarters, perhaps they'll be here at the show and i can take a look at this model.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: New running shoe brand....loving the SalmingEnRoute! [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interestingly, most of what I learned on that topic came from Simon Bartold...who helped do Asics design for a while.

Anyways...appreciate the hat tip.

Quote Reply
Re: New running shoe brand....loving the SalmingEnRoute! [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Out of curiosity, what do you feel Hoka is doing wrong?

I no longer run in them as their toe box... is well, their toe box. But do I ever miss the cushioning... no other shoe I've ever run in comes close to the feel of Hokas.
Quote Reply
Re: New running shoe brand....loving the SalmingEnRoute! [dyarab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dyarab wrote:
Out of curiosity, what do you feel Hoka is doing wrong?

I no longer run in them as their toe box... is well, their toe box. But do I ever miss the cushioning... no other shoe I've ever run in comes close to the feel of Hokas.

Dan is right here, it is remarkable how the 'other' brands reacted, or better said, not reacted on the succescof Hoka. Or they reacted with models that were just normal models with thicker soles and without something like the metarocker hoka is using in its different designs.
Over the last 2 years i've tried the hoka-ish asics 3 m which is not a succes although really wide fit so for some it might be an alternative on hoka's. Same for the hoka-ish pearl izumi's, just make the midsole thicker does not create the same hoka-ish feeling and gait. Zoot tried it as well, no succes. The problem with hoka is first availability, at least here in eu,and the constant changing of fit and firmness in midsole in the next iteration of a model. And they need to be carefull not to make the same mistake as newton and not over-model their collection. There is way too much over lap in a lot of the models.

I'm now testing an 361 shoe that is giving an interesting amount of cushioning, but no hoka. The same of the saucony freedom iso which actually come close to the hoka clifton in feeling of cushioning but still closer to the ground. This freedom iso might be one of the best, unitended, tri shoes on the market. Put in elastics laces and you a sock-like upper, no firm heel cup, soft as a babyskin on the inside and soft but still reactive feeling.

Salming i tried 3 years ago, liked them, although they lost their initial 'springy' cushioning quite fast but they are ' just' another brand like many others. I am curious how they will come along in the next few years, but i will get one of those Enroute models to see how they go.

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Re: New running shoe brand....loving the SalmingEnRoute! [dyarab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Out of curiosity, what do you feel Hoka is doing wrong?"

one way or another, for one reason or another, almost everyone integral in the initial run-up of hoka is now gone. i used to know everyone from the CEO of deckers to the president of hoka, the marketing manager of hoka, the product manager, sports marketing manager, others in the marcom and product development divisions, and they're all gone. pffft. i know one person who was there in the beginning who's still there now.

i just can't help getting the feeling that they've moved on to whatever else it is they're doing and that's fine too. but something got them from $1mm to $100mm in domestic sales, mostly through specialty stores, all in tech running, and i think that sort of turnover in personnel, and that kind of dismissing of whatever it was that got you that $100mm in sales, is probably indicative of not knowing how you got that $100mm in sales. that concerns me.

secondly, they seem obsessed with track and field. they got their $100mm in sales without picking up any meaningful track and field athletes except lionel manzano. and that's fine, except they keep making shoes that are more and more "normal" when it's precisely the abnormal funny looking shoes that got them their first $100mm in annual sales. triathletes stopped buying hokas once they got below 8oz in weight.

altra made the spike hoka should have made. hoka's spoke really isn't true to the brand.

and then there is the wild variance in shoes, one shoe to the next, inside the same version: bondi 2, 3, 4. the line has exploded but i'm not sure that they have mastered the art of shoemaking. i don't know that they should be making so many new models before they prove they can make good shoes reliably, that fit reliably.

in short, hoka is a terrific brand. it's got the tiger by the tail. no other footwear company is smart enough to actually look at what it is that makes hoka a great, great shoe. but hoka needs to really tighten up its practices and become good craftsmen rather than try to beat nike and adidas at nike's and adidas' game (winning at track and road racing). brooks became a very good brand without getting into an arms war with nike. as did new balance and saucony. it may take 15 brookses to make one nike but it still takes 15 hokas to make one brooks.

my concern with hoka is that hoka may be in danger doing what every other shoe company is doing: refusing to recognize what originally made hoka such a terrific shoe.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you running in the womens shoe, as per your posted link?

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: New running shoe brand....loving the SalmingEnRoute! [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, good catch! I have the black men's model, and there's also a red version. LOVE the shoe though I haven't got a lot of miles on them yet. This link should be better: https://shopsalmingusa.com/...route-shoe-men-black

Tri-Banter wrote:
Are you running in the womens shoe, as per your posted link?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went to their site looking for something with some pronation control. 1) didn't see a shoe that fit that bill. 2) read about the enroute and it has a "natural running system"......it reads as if this makes the shoe more versatile....but i could be wrong. Any clarity on this??

Also...I don't understand a $150 price point for a running shoe. There are plenty of good running shoes for $100-$120
Last edited by: Mike Alexander: Mar 4, 17 19:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nothing wrong with having a good engineered heel that guides your foot.

You will understand when you eventually will occur a rear foot injury...which I am pretty sure was caused by a over-cushioned and unstable shoe (not bashing).

Right now I LOVE my Asics, as their heel design keeps me running....

But it is easy to bash blindly.

Slowman wrote:
"(which, for most of us, the actual principal point of contact remains rearfoot, but the actual load-bearing stance phase of the gait cycle doesn't really occur until the CoG has moved forward to what we consider "midfoot.")"

by god i must give a shout out somebody who understands this. i think a part of asics' problems over the years is its insistence on rearfoot strike, engineering its shows as if as if first-contact is the entire story. i am so disappointed in the response of the running industry to hoka. i'm not saying they should copy hoka, because there's a number of things hoka is doing wrong and i'm not sure about hoka's future.

but there's a number of things hoka did right and it went from zero to over $100mm in annual sales, almost all without an export strategy, in a declining market.

sorry to hijack ;-)

i'm at our road show in north carolina at the moment, close to salming's U.S. headquarters, perhaps they'll be here at the show and i can take a look at this model.
Quote Reply
Re: New running shoe brand....loving the SalmingEnRoute! [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He's not bashing blindly in this instance, moreso bemoaning that Asics entire engineering is based upon the Bowerman school of thought - heel strike, keep the foot in contact with the ground for as long as possible in order to maximize power transmission.

There's nothing wrong with a well-engineered heel to a shoe (which, I would add, does not just refer to the midsole tooling but also integration of midsole, Strobel board/EVA combo on top of that for lasting, sockliner, and the upper). Any part of that chain that's wrong will result in a damn near unrunnable shoe. I was trying stuff on yesterday and tried on the new Supernova - great midsole, terrible heel design for the upper that would eat my Achilles alive.

As for guiding your foot...well...that's a whole other can of worms that I don't have enough space to get into. Let's put it this way - there's been no appreciable difference ever shown between two categories of shoes and the respective motion path taken by the foot (and remaining kinetic chain, for that matter).

Quote Reply
Re: New running shoe brand....loving the SalmingEnRoute! [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a huge fan of a guided heel. That's one of hoka's key features (whether or not that's understood). The problem isn't too much rearfoot attention, it's too little forefoot attention.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Warning: The below is more less my initial impression of Bondi 5 vs. Clifton 3 as I have no Salming to compare to & this seems to be shifting to HOKA discussion later in the thread...
I have 2 or 3 runs in the Bondi 5's. So far, they are a very different shoe than the Clifton 3 as far as foot control goes. Realizing one is a training shoe vs a racer/lightweight category, I am hoping durability is better on the black rubber heel vs Clifton 3's orange heel. There is a "rounded" heel on the Bondi 5 vs an "edge" where the wall of the sole/bottom meet. This provides a very different feel for the heel striker.

Bondi 5 has the foot sitting IN the shoe vs sitting on top of the shoe ride as you find in the Clifton 3. Cushion is excellent so far, as is foot control, but on my long run the other day, the weight difference was definitely missed those last 4 miles. I'm sure 15 mph headwinds didn't help those last few miles either.

As for Salming, I'm not finding any to try on near my home. But I would not hesitate to take a pair out for a test ride if there were a store near me--haven't seen them yet!
Quote Reply
Re: New running shoe brand....loving the SalmingEnRoute! [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't understand why anyone would pay 150.00 for a pair of shoes. I always buy last year's kinvaras on amazon for about 60.00.
Quote Reply

Prev Next