Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New bike - Ebay vs. Local Bike Shop
Quote | Reply
I am looking into a new Triathlon bike. I have a 6 year old Cannondale Multisport, and its time to upgrade. I have been cycling for many years, and feel qualified to pick the right bike on Ebay - but you never know how a bike fits and feels until you ride it. So enters the debate on whether to go to a bike shop and pay full price, or go through Ebay and save lots of money. The Tri Bike shop in my town is very good, has plenty of selection and I know will do a professional fit and make sure I get the perfect bike. But is this all worth the $1000 plus I'll pay extra at a bike shop (over the same bike lightly used on Ebay)??? Another option is to pay for a professional sizing and then pick the frame that best fits my size on Ebay - but I will still be buying a bike I've never ridden. The final option is to test ride the bikes at the shop and then buy on Ebay - but I think that is just wrong. By the way, I'm looking to spend in the $3000-4000 range if that makes a difference.

Any input? Which is the best way to go?
Quote Reply
Re: New bike - Ebay vs. Local Bike Shop [adiffen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LTS... make friends with the people who know. Also if they will be servicing the bike then DEFINITELY go to LTS.

This coming from a former LTS employee who would cringe (inside) when customers mentioned EBAY.

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Re: New bike - Ebay vs. Local Bike Shop [aus_tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
LTS... make friends with the people who know. Also if they will be servicing the bike then DEFINITELY go to LTS.

This coming from a former LTS employee who would cringe (inside) when customers mentioned EBAY.

Ok, BAD mood so here comes a rant.

Why do we always here how the bike industry is different .. yada .. yada .. yada. Hell Car dealers SELL USED CARS THEMSELVES. So why does a LBS get upset if I buy a used bike. and why do they care if I got it from a neighbor down the street or on EBAY. Sorry to tell you buying used is here to stay get use to it and deal with it.

Stepping off the soap box.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: New bike - Ebay vs. Local Bike Shop [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because building relationships is important and is integral to being human... take any Sociology 101 course and that'll come out in the first class right behind the syllibus.

:-) I like the soapbox... but why cant it be a coffee box?

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me, there was no choice. My budget would let me spend $500 on my first bike. That will get me a very bottom of the line road bike at the local bike shop, but for $450, I got a lightly used 2001 Cannondal Multisport 800 bike that I love. I still spent plenty on pedals, shoes, and a fitting at my bike shop and they treat me just fine and are happy with my business. They congratulated me on such a good deal on Ebay and gave me great service. If the bike shop sold used bikes and I could have picked up a similar deal there, I would have bought it there, but I'm going to worry about my budget before theirs. Call me crazy.
Quote Reply
Re: New bike - Ebay vs. Local Bike Shop [justsometriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not crazy... you still have developed a relationship with "your" shop and they with you. Budget constraints are something that LTS's should understand... at least i did.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would be a little hesitant to buy a bike, especially a high end bike from e-bay. Such a big risk spending that kind of money on e-bay not to mention you won't get any after the sale service that you would from your LBS and also warranty on the frame might be an issue. I have mail ordered several bikes because of necessity, i.e. local and even not so local area shops did not stock what I was looking to buy. If they did, I would have purchased locally just to get the post sale service. My local shop offers free lifetime tune-ups and adjustments. May not be a big deal if you are a gearhead. I have had great success purchasing a Cervelo P3 and QR Lucero from www.all3sports.com and a Kestrel Talon road bike from www.trisports.com and a QR Tiphoon from www.bikefarmer.com . Yes there are some great buys and not so great buys on e-bay but you are never guaranteed to get what you pay for. I would also check the classifieds of slowtwitch as well if you are looking used. Good luck.

Team Endurance Nation
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the feedback. Actually the arguments for going with an LTS are making me lean more towards Ebay. "Building relationships"??? Spending $4000 at someone's shop is not building a relationship - that's buying a relationship. I have plenty of friends already. I'm talking about getting the right bike for the right amount of money. I will probably end up buying the right size bike/frame off ebay and then pay the LTS to size me correctly and buy and parts that need to be switched out for the fit. I always have and will be a customer of this store for parts, clothing, etc.

I am still concerned about the fit and feel. Funny, no one mentioned that as a advantage of going with an LTS. But worst case scenario if I hate the bike, I can sell it again on Ebay and lose maybe a couple hundred dollars...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
people also say that you never get the right impression from a test ride anyway. I think if you find an honest seller, or a fellow slowtwitcher, you'll get a lot more about a bike than from any LBS/LTS.

as for the guy who complains bike shops don't sell used bikes... hunh? I got a beautiful used bike for my sister last year from my LBS. I admit, my LBS doesn't usually have old bikes lying around but they can set you up with a customer pretty easily...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My 2 Cents...

Buy the bike from someone you know and trust. In the last month, I have had quite a fiasco on my hands regarding my brand new P3C. I was fitted for and bought the bike in Chicago from Mission Bay. I used to live there and have a great relationship with their downtown shop. The bike arrived with a cracked rear chainstay. Yes, I paid top dollar for the bike, but I am also receiving top dollar service from a very reputable dealer. They are dealing with the claim with UPS. UPS is dragging their feet, but Mission Bay is shipping me a brand new frame today (only a 9 day turnaround--pretty good IMO), and I still have the damaged frame, since UPS hasn't picked it back up. They are taking me for my word that the frame is damaged. I trust them and they trust me. Bottom line, buy a bike from someone you know and trust. Can you imagine what a pain it would have been if I had bought a used P3 or P3SL from someone on ebay and it arrived with a cracked frame? It would take months for the process to get worked out. I would have fewer reservations with purchasing a bike that is entry level; however, a bike that originally retailed for over $1500 is a big purchase, and you should know exactly what you get.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get a beam bike. As long as you get in the right ballpark, you can adjust it to fit. And, with your bidget, you could get a nice TitatnFlex or SoftRide. Your LBS might even have one they are trying to get rid of for a nice price. That's how I found my SoftRide.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm going to propose option (c): Don't get sucked into the "i need a new bike becuase it's a new bike" mentality, keep the Cannondale, and sign up for, like, four international IM races / trips to Brazil / full-body tatoos / really good coaching sessions / whatever. Or develop a $1000/week coke habit for a month. Seriously, I just think there is undue exhuberance in getting the latest greatest steed, and the opportunity cost is significant.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If i knew exactly the bike and size I needed for a particular bike, I would save a few bucks on ebay. If not, defintely to LBS.

Quote | Reply
it is no longer an either or decision.

you will find advantages in both directions. look at what is available from all sources balanced against the costs and go from there.

your LBS should always welcome a smart buying decision if you got a great deal elsewhere but still bring it in for servicing and to be fitted for new or additional components down the road. don't think for a minute that the owner of your LBS does not look around for well balanced deals, regardless of the source.

and i am glad to inform you that yes it still is about "relationships". or call it a connection...whatever you want.

i refer friends, family, co-workers, and associates to my LBS...and my LSS (shoe) store. there's more than one of each in the area. sometimes i go in with them to make introductions. i'm here to tell you those referrals are always remembered when i go in for my own purchases. those referrals were won by those stores providing me, and others i know, with great products, pricing, and service. i also get referrals back from them for my primary business. i like relationships like that. everyone benefits.

Train hard...race well.
www.jimmishler.com
"Jim, I happen to agree with you" DougStern
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're spending $3-4K, definitely go to a LTS. No reason to mess around with the risks of ebay for that kind of money. If you're on a limited budget and know what you're doing, then ebay is worth considering. I got a 2nd hand P2K from a posting I saw at Gary's timetrial.org site and its worked out great, but I knew my size and what I wanted. In my case I had spent the big bucks on a road bike a couple of years previously and it wasn't going to happen if I bought new.
Quote Reply
Re: New bike - Ebay vs. Local Bike Shop [docfuel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why are all the local shops trying to dump their softrides? I have seen that, too, at 3 different stores.
Quote Reply
Re: New bike - Ebay vs. Local Bike Shop [goolsbee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damned if I know, except that people see that strange shape and won't go there. My LBS said he was selling 20 'roos for each SR. Mine had been on his floor for 2 years. Good for me--$2200 Rocket TT7 full Ultegra (except the DA bar-end shifters)

He sold one this summer to a guy doing RAAM.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply