Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
New airline charges caution
Quote | Reply
When I flew to the Sea Otter Classic last weekend before the Timex camp I was carrying a Ghisallo frame in a frame box with me. As soon as I walked up to the Delta counter the attendant pulled out a measuring tape, and deemed the box too large as it exceeded 62 inches in length, height and width. "That will be $100 for oversized baggage" the attendant announced, and despite me telling him that I have never before been charged for a "small" box like that, I ended up having to pay here.
They basically told me that they are now pretty much enforcing all such charges. FYI, the box was plain brown and weighed close to nothing.

Herbert

Litespeed / Quintana Roo
Quote Reply
Re: New airline charges caution [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I flew out of Phoenix on Southwest with a normal cardboard box with a bike frame inside (Hooker Elite!) and they didn't bother me at all. In fact, they even gave me packaging tape to close the box and never asked what it was. It arrived safe :-D
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I flew Southwest in January it was the tape that got me too. I had one guy who was going to let it go (in a bike box) but the lady said it had to be measured and when it was added up it was too big.
Quote Reply
Re: New airline charges caution [Paulo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't wait to see pics of Paulo's Hooker ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: New airline charges caution [5280] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I had one guy who was going to let it go (in a bike box) but the lady said it had to be measured and when it was added up it was too big. I see....hmmm....a LADY took out the tape....what does that tell us fellas?

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you must have shaved:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Herbert, not to hijack, but any news on Saul?

----------------------------------------------------
Striving to have sex more than 66 times per year
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same here with Delta flying to IMAZ.

I thought I was in for a free ride since my ticket was comped, but I paid $100 each way for my bike!
Quote Reply
Re: New airline charges caution [austin79] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That we get charged for bikes is unfortunately almost standard now. A frame box is quite a bit smaller than a bike box and until this flight was never charged for it.

A complete bike will cost you about $100 each way anyway if you ship it 2 day or so, thus I never mind carrying the bike. A shipped frame however would cost no more than $40 or so, because it is so light.

Herbert

Litespeed / Quintana Roo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I dont think they norlally measure the Width? Do they? They shouldnt! 62 is supposed to be "linear inches" L+H, I think your clerk screwed up by adding the W! Check any web. I always pack the frame and wheels separately and get by FREE! My frame/comoponent box measures 62 linear inches.

http://www.fastcompany.com/resources/travel/090804.html

Excess or oversized Baggage Fees

Every airline has a free baggage allowance, which is the maximum number and size of bags you can carry on or check in without additional charge. Depending on the airline, the free baggage allowance permits 2-3 checked bags that weigh less than 70 pounds each and do not exceed 62 linear inches. Continental, Delta, Northwest, and United charge for bags weighing greater than 50 pounds.

--------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: New airline charges caution [zippy007] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
they measured L + W + H for mine
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Linear inches is L+H+W for airlines usually. We flew USAir/AmericaWest and used the free bike voucher. They didn't even care that our bike case was 78 lbs.
Quote Reply
Re: New airline charges caution [Terry in MN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This link gives some price/size outlines.

http://www.bikeleague.org/members/bikesflyfree.php#flying
[u]
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Linear inches is l+h+w. Linear inches means you add them, not multiply as in square or cubic inches. Check any airlines web site, you will see this written out. 62 is pretty standard.

We do a lot of flying with a frame in one box, bars and front fork removed, the wheels in another. We are "measured" about 1 in 5 flights. It is just luck if you do or don't get measured and/or charged.

Support Crew
This information contained herein has been assembled for your assistance and convenience. It is believed to be reliable, however, its accuracy cannot be guaranteed. All opinions shown are subject to change without notice.
Quote Reply
Re: New airline charges caution [support crew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At this rate it will soon be cheaper and less of a hassle just to fly yourself. Certainly more fun. You could get to an airport way closer to the race site too.

--
"Outside a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside a dog it is too dark to read."
Groucho Marx

for athletes http://athleticlog.org/
for nerds http://rogercortesi.com/eqn/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmmm..interesting.. It might of been the weight of the bike (too heavy).. Does your Ghisallo look like this?

All kidding aside, really enjoy that site you told me about. Some very cool stuff. See you soon Herbert. KJG
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Herbert,

It was great meeting you at Sea Otter. Too bad it was really wet this year. Hope you enjoyed the Monterey Bay, though.

Chris
One of the many you probably spoke with, but probably the shortest.

Chris
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
― Hunter S. Thompson,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As someone else posted, some airlines are strict on size/weight and some are not...

...additionally, some AIRPORTS are strict and some are not. I had a road-box (Anvil-brand case -- the kind that rock bands use) which required 'overweight' payment in one leg of a trip but not the other, despite containing the same materials each leg!

Lauren

-------------------------

Lauren Muney
certified physical fitness trainer
certified health coach
wellcoach
http://www.physicalmind.com

There is no escape from your life... solve the problems and get on with it.

"Just tell her you love her and you think she kicks ass" ~AndrewinNH

"I'm moving [Lauren] to guru status" ~Last Tri in 83
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I flew out of Phoenix on Southwest with a normal cardboard box with a bike frame inside (Hooker Elite!) and they didn't bother me at all. In fact, they even gave me packaging tape to close the box and never asked what it was. It arrived safe :-D
I did notice that you had your hooker stripped down in the garage over the weekend.. you shouldn't treat her like "chopped liver".
Quote Reply
Re: New airline charges caution [Fitnesscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
As someone else posted, some airlines are strict on size/weight and some are not...
Probably depends on whether or not the airline is contending with the possibility of its biggest labor group threatening to strike (and rightly so in my opinion).

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is the injustice of it all. The frame/bike weighs not that much, but you get hammerd for it. Meanwhile some, well let's just say overweight people show up with conventional luggage jam packed and weighing a ton and then of course they have massivly oversized carry on stuff to and they pay nothing extra. I keep seeing this happen and I wonder why, they simply don't charge people on a weight/passenger basis. Pretty much every thing else is shipped that way!

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: New airline charges caution [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck, don't you have any sympathy for the poor baggage handlers who have to man handle the 'bulky' boxes? ;-)

I would love to see the day when you have to step up onto the scale with your luggage. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I keep seeing this happen and I wonder why, they simply don't charge people on a weight/passenger basis.
I'd think that may help with the obesity problem this country is experiencing.
Quote Reply
Re: New airline charges caution [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I would love to see the day when you have to step up onto the scale with your luggage."

Exactly. Me to!

Could possibly be one of the best incentive's for people to loose weight AND travel with a reasonable amount of stuff. It's one of those great common-sense, win-win solutions . . . . . . that will never come to pass!

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I keep seeing this happen and I wonder why, they simply don't charge people on a weight/passenger basis.

A. Regardless of weight, most of these peoples luggage does not have to be hand carried into the cargo/baggage compartment of the aircraft.

B. Because some gi-normous, self-absorbed, couch potato will get his or her panties in a wad and find some reason to sue for discrimination should the airlines decide to do things that way. On the other hand, that system would certainly make it much easier for the flight crew if they had actual weights when calculating aircraft performance numbers.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote Reply

Prev Next