Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New York City to Greenwich CT riding route?
Quote | Reply
I am totally familiar with all the riding on 9W, Bear Mtn, etc.
But I have never had to ride from New York City to CT.
What is the best route from the Upper West Side to Greenwich CT on a Sunday morning?
Looking for a route that is relatively straightforward. Am not that fussed about traffic.
Any recommendations?
Quote Reply
Re: New York City to Greenwich CT riding route? [EmpireTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can send you my itinerary later, but basically cross into Bronz at 145th and turn onto Grand Concourse. Take concourse down to Fordham Road, which turns into Pelham Parkway and then into Shore Pkwy. You'll cross onto City Island. Keep going on that road, and it will curve left. you'll eventually need to make a right turn onto Main Street (US 1). You can follow that into Greenwich or make a right after a while at Oakland Beach, Left on Forest, and slight right onto Grace Church.

The part from UWS to City Island involves a lot of stop and go and is not recommended. I've done the route twice.
Quote Reply
Re: New York City to Greenwich CT riding route? [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Route 1 looks pretty good . I have driven Pelham Parkway and Shore Rd and they would be fine.
Getting there does look pretty heinous!
Quote Reply
Re: New York City to Greenwich CT riding route? [EmpireTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I suggest Grand Central to Greenwich station. Then ride North Street all the way up to Bedford and then loop around. Why ride crap roads? Back country Greenwich is nice right now.
Quote Reply
Re: New York City to Greenwich CT riding route? [prattzc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zach, excellent idea. Thanks for that....I wasn't thinking outside the box.
Now I have two good choices.
Am still racing my BMC Time Machine by the way.
Quote Reply
Re: New York City to Greenwich CT riding route? [prattzc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
prattzc wrote:
I suggest Grand Central to Greenwich station. Then ride North Street all the way up to Bedford and then loop around. Why ride crap roads? Back country Greenwich is nice right now.
i'd second this idea. Or alternatively take the 2 to Pelham Parkway as that obviates most of stop-and-go.

Another option is to go along the CT shoreline, which i think is underrated. You can go all the way down to Madison and then loop back toward NH. If you are a fan of NH pizza (toward which I am particular partial), you can reward yourself with a large white clam pie from Frank Pepes and then doze off on the Metronorth ride home. Sure you may run into a few smelly factories around Norwalk and have to travel on some (figuratively and literally) rough roads east of Bridgeport, but most of the shoreline is great for cycling.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride to work sometimes, Greenwich to Shelton. Norwalk sucks between 8am and 5pm. I cut north at Darien go up near Merrit. Go across and come back down by Milford.

Or

Greenwich to Bedford to goldens bridge to Carmel to cold spring. Either turn around and cycle back or jump on the train in town.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Am gonna go with the #2 train to Pelham Pkway and ride from there. I need to meet someone in Greenwich so can't do CT the shoreline tour.
Agree 100% with the Pepe's pizza recommendation (or Sallys, or The Spot, etc.) though.
Quote Reply