Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
New S-Works TT 5 helmet
Quote | Reply
Quick Step riders will use the new Specialized helmet in the TdF TT today. It's said to be 26s faster over 40km for Remco Evenepoel, which I personally think is a bit too much. Apparently it will be released around February 2023.
Curious that elastic cap solution.

Last edited by: Xabier10: Jul 1, 22 3:43
Quote Reply
Re: New S-Works TT 5 helmet [Xabier10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Xabier10 wrote:
Quick Step riders will use the new Specialized helmet in the TdF TT today. It's said to be 26s faster over 40km for Remco Evenepoel, which I personally think is a bit too much. Apparently it will be released around February 2023.
Curious that elastic cap solution.

Two of the head positions in those photos are not the same.

As much as pros are lauded for their TT expertise and ability, not very many helmets save you the same watts in both head positions. Pick one and mentally chew the bar tape to hold still while you suffer.

Either one, applies to a small percent of hobbyist TT racers or triathletes.

I hope they also did some more neutral higher stack head down road looking postures.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve long been an advocate for function over form but this one may cross the line. The claims and testing will need to be very convincing. As polarizing as the Tempor is, it may be a better looking helmet than that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: New S-Works TT 5 helmet [TheWhiteCarrot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheWhiteCarrot wrote:
I’ve long been an advocate for function over form but this one may cross the line. The claims and testing will need to be very convincing. As polarizing as the Tempor is, it may be a better looking helmet than that thing.

This is the worst looking helmet I've ever seen
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The helmet looks way cooler on the model lol. Clear visor makes it look hideous.

My Strava | My Instagram | Summerville, SC | 35-39 AG | 4:41 (70.3), 10:05 (140.6) | 3x70.3, 1x140.6 | Cat 2 Cyclist
Quote Reply
Re: New S-Works TT 5 helmet [justkeepedaling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
justkeepedaling wrote:
TheWhiteCarrot wrote:

This is the worst looking helmet I've ever seen

I agree. The head sock, ugh. This really raises the question, maybe it's fast, but at what cost?! Haha
Quote Reply
Re: New S-Works TT 5 helmet [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am here to say Gregory Porter wishes he patented the concept.
Last edited by: mikemelbrooks: Jul 1, 22 8:23
Quote Reply
Re: New S-Works TT 5 helmet [mikemelbrooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Adam Yates was looking a bit nervous before the start of the prologue.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My contribution to the meme economy
Quote Reply
Re: New S-Works TT 5 helmet [Fishhawk21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fishhawk21 wrote:
My contribution to the meme economy

Definite Star Wars vibes, it’s utterly awful.

Thought my old MTB helmet was dodgy, but the megamind look isn’t so bad compared to that.
Quote Reply
Re: New S-Works TT 5 helmet [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PBT_2009 wrote:
This really raises the question, maybe it's fast, but at what cost?! Haha
You gotta love that the old helmet won the TT today and has its rider in yellow

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Re: New S-Works TT 5 helmet [mikemelbrooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mikemelbrooks wrote:
Adam Yates was looking a bit nervous before the start of the prologue.

Post of the year for me
Quote Reply
Re: New S-Works TT 5 helmet [] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I see your s-works is as big as mine. Now let's see how you handle it"

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: New S-Works TT 5 helmet [Xath10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FYI, Specialized finally has these in stock in all sizes on US website, days before the UCI ban of the integrated sock. Makes me wonder if they sat on a stock of them for some reason now want to get rid of them.

Paula Findlay wore one yesterday without the sock. Not sure if they made one special for her or it can be cut out?

For $375 it might make a good collectors item of something that worked too well.
Quote Reply
Re: New S-Works TT 5 helmet [Riedinaustin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Presumably it's still legal for Tris. Which brings up a question:

If you put the helmet on in transition and clip the buckle, but then pull the headsock on one you're rolling, dies that break the rules? Because it's (according to specialized) a required structural part of the helmet. But the Tri rules just say it needs to be buckled.
Quote Reply
Re: New S-Works TT 5 helmet [mathematics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The head sock is definitely not required … Alex Dorsett has recently posted some wind tunnel tests of the helmet with and without the sock. Also, it appears to be the ones you can buy on the Specialized US website don’t even come with it, at least it isn’t in the photos.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: New S-Works TT 5 helmet [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Website info says it comes with integrated head sock but sounds like there may be a way to modify it. Black is the only option.
Quote Reply
Re: New S-Works TT 5 helmet [Riedinaustin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone seen any testing yet on it? Or own one?

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: New S-Works TT 5 helmet [Toothengineer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It features in Alex Dowsett’s new series of wind tunnel tests on YouTube. As with most of Alex’s content, it’s quite interesting.
Spoiler - comes out fastest for him.
Quote Reply
Re: New S-Works TT 5 helmet [MP1664] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MP1664 wrote:
It features in Alex Dowsett’s new series of wind tunnel tests on YouTube. As with most of Alex’s content, it’s quite interesting.

It is worth noting Alex is a specialized sponsored athlete. Though suppose the data should be unbiased.
In Joe Skipper newest video it tested faster for him than the Mistral he has bee using.
He did say specialized gave him the helmet to test but not sponsored directly.

Full-time Engineer / Part-time Pro Triathlete
Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/benwgoodfellow/
Strava - https://www.strava.com/athletes/3085032
Website - https://benwgoodfellow.wixsite.com/bengoodfellow
Quote Reply
Re: New S-Works TT 5 helmet [BenwGoodfellow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fair point. I’m not sure what Alex’s deal is with specialized - I thought he’d just chosen to ride their bikes because he likes them, and now he’s no longer a team pro he can ride whatever he likes? But I could be wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: New S-Works TT 5 helmet [BenwGoodfellow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BenwGoodfellow wrote:
MP1664 wrote:

It is worth noting Alex is a specialized sponsored athlete. Though suppose the data should be unbiased.
In Joe Skipper newest video it tested faster for him than the Mistral he has bee using.
He did say specialized gave him the helmet to test but not sponsored directly.

That said, even when he was sponsored by other companies during his various tenures on teams, he frequently used non-conforming equipment because it was faster for him. I don't see Alex as much of a shill.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
Also, it appears to be the ones you can buy on the Specialized US website don’t even come with it, at least it isn’t in the photos.

We'll see... I just ordered one the other day and it arrives today.

As far as testing I believe Wattshop has test data for with and without the headsock. FWIW Alan Murchison (performance.chef on IG) also tested helmets last year sometime and it was fastest on him.

Wattshop data: https://www.instagram.com/...Gr6sXCa/?img_index=2
Last edited by: RJones07: Mar 15, 24 9:34
Quote Reply
Re: New S-Works TT 5 helmet [RJones07] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RJones07 wrote:
ericlambi wrote:
Also, it appears to be the ones you can buy on the Specialized US website don’t even come with it, at least it isn’t in the photos.

We'll see... I just ordered one the other day and it arrives today.

As far as testing I believe Wattshop has test data for with and without the headsock. FWIW Alan Murchison (performance.chef on IG) also tested helmets last year sometime and it was fastest on him.

Wattshop data: https://www.instagram.com/...Gr6sXCa/?img_index=2

If you read the description carefully enough it mentions it and even calls it a head sock, which I thought was just something people were calling it in jest. Besides Alex and Joe, I've also seen the video where Alex's coached athlete tested it as fastest and it was fastest for both Paula Findlay and Erik Lagerstrom (or at least they claimed such on their video). I've yet to see someone claim it wasn't the fastest for them. I gave in and ordered it . . . I was right on the line between S and M so stressed about that, decided on M since the trend seems to be bigger is better.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just arrived. Definitely still has the headsock. I ended up buying a size L even though I wear M in other Spesh helmets. Fits great.
Quote Reply

Prev Next