Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
New Quarq Powermeter Models..
Quote | Reply
Quarq just released two new power meters. Looks like they are based off of the most recent SRAM red version. One is the same price as the Red but lighter and the other is about $400 less and abut 50g heavier.

I think the real good news is that the older Saturn power meters will be available cheap very soon on the used market.

I have two SRM's so this might not be the best news for me if resale was in my future..

Release here:

http://blog.quarq.com/quarq-launches-next-generation-power-meters

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Last edited by: Ex-cyclist: Jan 22, 13 6:03
Quote Reply
Re: New Quarq Powermeter Modesl.. [Ex-cyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any insight on the Rotor power meters?

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: New Quarq Powermeter Modesl.. [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
david wrote:
Any insight on the Rotor power meters?

None whatsoever. Might want to check over on the wattage forum. I know a few people have posted pictures that theirs have arrived. I think it will be a little while before we know what kind of bugs (or not) they have. I can imagine with two data streams there is a possibility of some issues. I'm curious to see what happens with those as well.

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those look sweet!

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Re: New Quarq Powermeter Modesl.. [camaleon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
camaleon wrote:
Those look sweet!

The Riken looks to be the most promising with the price point. Not sure why they won't offer the shorter crank lengths on that one though since it is the same exact crank arms. Wouldn't be a deal killer for me though since I have an almost a 37' inseam. :)

Heath Dotson
Quote Reply
Re: New Quarq Powermeter Modesl.. [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
David:

I noticed, and I guess this isn't surprising, Quarq doesn't support the Rotor crank any longer. Kind of what happened with Zipp removing the PowerTaps from their disc wheels.

Heath Dotson
Quote Reply
Re: New Quarq Powermeter Models.. [Ex-cyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seeing this and dcrainmaker's Power2Max review this morning is really making me second guess my decision to SAVE my tax return.

Curse you, fantastic technology!

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed. I have a one year old Quarq that has worked wonderfully. The only issue is that it is 170 mm when for various reasons, not the least of which is a lower back problem, is that I am more comfortable with 165 mm crank arms. If the Riken were available with 165 mm crank arms I would be all over it. As it is, I will likely try to track down a Powertap wheel so that I can use 165 mm cranks which is what I had prior to switching to a Quarq.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Weight difference is 88g between the two models.

Backcountry.com already has some of the quarq cinqo's on sale ($1425 for FSA or $1612 for Rotor).
Quote Reply
Re: New Quarq Powermeter Models.. [slimfast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Keep an eye on Chainlove then.... eBay is going to be more flooded than it already is I'm sure.

Heath Dotson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great to see they finally have a 165mm option available in the SRAM models.

From the pictures it looks like the crank/spider interface is the same as the S975/cinqo setup, but I just emailed quarq to ask.

ZOOT ULTRA Team
Quote Reply
Re: New Quarq Powermeter Models.. [mancona] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't get it. What's the difference between this and the old Saturn S975 power meter?
Quote Reply
Re: New Quarq Powermeter Models.. [ajminn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Biggest difference is that power measurement no longer depends on the chainrings you're using. No need to recalibrate when chainrings are swapped or even just taken off the cranks.
Quote Reply
Re: New Quarq Powermeter Models.. [ajminn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajminn wrote:
I don't get it. What's the difference between this and the old Saturn S975 power meter?

Presumably more stable as it doesn't require recalibration after changing chainrings. Standard sized battery. Coded transmission clearly marked with and an indicator showing that it is link and transmitting. Looks a bit more sturdy too. Definitely cooler looking. Looks a lot like the new SRM actually.

Heath Dotson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ex-cyclist wrote:
ajminn wrote:

Presumably more stable as it doesn't require recalibration after changing chainrings. Standard sized battery. Coded transmission clearly marked with and an indicator showing that it is link and transmitting. Looks a bit more sturdy too. Definitely cooler looking. Looks a lot like the new SRM actually.

According to Quarq, all those things are also in the "new" SRAM Red Quarq from last year, so it's not all that clear to me what is new in these over that one.
Quote Reply
Re: New Quarq Powermeter Models.. [nchristi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Didn't the Qalvin app allow for recalibration after changing chainrings and/or cranks in a fairly easy manner (iphone app)?
Quote Reply
Re: New Quarq Powermeter Models.. [SkyRyders90] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SkyRyders90 wrote:

According to Quarq, all those things are also in the "new" SRAM Red Quarq from last year, so it's not all that clear to me what is new in these over that one.

I think nothing.

The Red Quarq was the first of this new generation.

The new ones are either a little cheaper or a little lighter than that one.

SRAM bought Quarq, so I think this is the transition (evolution??) to an entirely SRAM based line of powermeters.

Andy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn, and I was excited to get a new Red Quarq 170mm for $100 off retail and free shipping a few weeks ago...totally would have waited if I had known they'd be coming out with a 165mm...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are they the same crank arm? i was reading their and one of them says that it has HollowTech carbon arms while the other one does not say anything about the material of the crank arms. Where did you read that they are the same ones?
Quote Reply
Re: New Quarq Powermeter Modesl.. [ElMijo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They look the same.. Perhaps they are not?

Heath Dotson
Quote Reply
Re: New Quarq Powermeter Modesl.. [ElMijo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The brochure says that the Elsa is exxogram hollow carbon and the Riken is carbon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This seems like a slam dunk to me.

The Quarq RIKEN has to be the best product on the market.

Reasonable price
Light weight
Works with everything
Company with a good reputation and solid backing
Easy to use
Easy to change chainrings
Easy to calibrate/fix/deal with

If it is as good as advertised, this might be enough to pry my powertap LYC from my fingers - 4 years and 16000 miles might be enough.

Andy
Quote Reply
Re: New Quarq Powermeter Models.. [AndyPeterson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

My TT bike
BMC TM01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
granted, I am not an expert on power meters, but I know I will not be upgrading mine until they change from ANT+ to Bluetooth. It would be nice to have the power calculated for both sides separately but it's not enough to make me shell out another $1500-$2000. Change the communication protocol to Bluetooth and it opens up a much wider range of options for cycling computers and accessories.
Quote Reply
Re: New Quarq Powermeter Models.. [AndyPeterson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndyPeterson wrote:
This seems like a slam dunk to me.

The Quarq RIKEN has to be the best product on the market.

Reasonable price
Light weight
Works with everything
Company with a good reputation and solid backing
Easy to use
Easy to change chainrings
Easy to calibrate/fix/deal with

If it is as good as advertised, this might be enough to pry my powertap LYC from my fingers - 4 years and 16000 miles might be enough.

Andy

They were smart to take most all of the SRAM branding off of it too. A crank arm that says Quarq is a bit more palatable to those who may mix groups than one that has the SRAM nascar graphic on the back of the crank arm.

Heath Dotson
Quote Reply

Prev Next