Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
New P2 vs Old P2
Quote | Reply
I know another dreaded Cervelo P2 question; please excuse and I will try to keep my question pointed.

I was out looking at bikes the other day and I have kind of narrowed my looking down to a P2 or Felt B14 or 12. Of course I have yet to find a shop with a 58 to try which is most likely what I will need due to my size (6’2” tall, 32 inseam, and a bit longer torso). I found a good shop that carry both, and while looking at available computer stock I saw a NOS 2013 P2 for $2000. When I ask about it they swayed me from it saying the new P2 is the only way to go, especially for comfort due to taller headtube, better aero frame, etc. They said given my size and age it would be the way to go. While I totally understand the difference in P2 frames since the change in 2014 I wonder would I not be just as happy on the 2013. Since this is my first tri bike, but not first bike I really would not have anything to compare it to. The way it was presented to me as the old P2 would not be as comfortable as the new one. If they order and build and I don’t like they will let me apply my deposit towards another bike. I like the Felt bikes as well but they on a month or say wait of production, at least the B14. Any opinions as to new vs old vs comfort vs ?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: New P2 vs Old P2 [VAPORPARK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Comfort comes from a proper fit and experience riding the position.

A taller head tube is more comfortable? Typical bullshit that spews from the mouths of LBS.

The only reason to get the NP2 vs classic is saving 0.8-1s/km.
Quote Reply
Re: New P2 vs Old P2 [Nick B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nick B wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I don't see 1 sec/km being an advantage for me At this time. Good point!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a new 2013 P-2 around the beginning of this year. It has a longer top tube than the 2014 or 2015. I am tall so this helps.
The bike cost me $2000. So I saved a little more than $800 and bought a bike that probably fits better. I don't regret my choice.

P.S. Please get a pre fitting. I don't think the people at the bike shop you are shopping at are but so helpful. A bike fitter could help you figure out what size bike will fit you regardless of brand or which bike shop carries it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just bought a new old stock 2013 Cervelo P2 about a month ago (it is my first tri bike as well)

I love my bike. The cost delta between the 2013 and the 2015 is allowed me to get a powertap rear wheel (still learning the nuances of training with power, but that is another topic).

I had commonly looked at the differences between the 2013 and the 2015 as:

2013 ultegra spec components vs 105 on the 2015
2015 11 speed vs 10 on the 2013
2015 more aero frame (which means nearly nothing at my skill and ability)
2015 integration for bento box / above BB tool box
2015 $500 - 800 more than the 2013
(and i like the paint scheme on the 2013 more than the blue white on the 2014/15)

However when at my fitting / positioning appointment with the physical therapist yesterday I've come to really appreciate the changes made in the seatpost on the 2014/2015 model

The single bolt adjustment makes things a bit easier (and eliminates the possibility for misalignment)
The sliding rail on the seatpost also makes fine fore/aft adjustment a little easier and tunable

Like i said, i love my bike. The cost saving is what has allowed me to add the power meter this season. Will I still feel the same way in 2 years? I hope so (But in two years i hope to be 70 pounds lighter and have a MUCH higher watts/KG power ability)

I do the same thing as them, just slower
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
New P2 is faster, but if you do not care about the 1s per kilometer (which is a pretty good chunk), then save the money and go with old P2. I would just say that the old P2 should probably be less than 2000, since people were buying New P2s with 10 speed 105 for 2,200. I think you should try and negotiate that old P2 for closer to 1800 than 2000.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
VAPORPARK wrote:
Nick B wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I don't see 1 sec/km being an advantage for me At this time. Good point!

It should matter. Why give up extra speed?

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't give up on the Felt B12. Its about as aero as you can find without going to the "superbike class". Search the build the TriRig.com guy did on 2013 Felt B12. I think they are more aero than the P2.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
VAPORPARK wrote:
opinions as to new vs old vs comfort vs ?

Thanks

Assuming you achieve the same fit on both bikes the comfort will be identical...
Quote Reply
Re: New P2 vs Old P2 [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
VAPORPARK wrote:
Nick B wrote:

Agreed.

Faster is faster, no matter how fit or unfit you are.
Quote Reply
Re: New P2 vs Old P2 [Liaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am on a 2010 P2 and at first thought why bother but 3 minutes for 180k? Reconsidering. Although not falling apart on the run is worth a lot more.
Quote Reply
Re: New P2 vs Old P2 [Spoon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not meaning to oversimplify the point, but with a new P2 you could "pedal three minutes easier" and have more chance of running strongly :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks all that responded so far. All good points and well taken. I think I shall return and get them to look more at me first and see what is best. Money is really not the issue i just want a good comfortable bike for distance. I have been out of the sport for 16 years and back training for the last year. Bikes have changed much since the days of slapping aero bars on a road bike and slugging it out.

Thanks!
Last edited by: VAPORPARK: May 6, 15 16:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The new P2 is also set up for Di2...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It depends on the position you have on either bike how much time you'll save. you might be faster on old p2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Consider the Felt.

I 'have' a NP3… Rode it a handful of times, had a warranty, that was about eight months ago. I'm still awaiting the replacement frame. You'll probably get to ride the Felt more, which will mean you'll be much faster on it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went through the same issues for months. I could have gotten a 2015 11 speed. Or a 2015 frame with 10 speed parts put on. Or a new 2013 for like 1850.

What drove me away from anything new is it looks like all the frames will change to 135 for the disc brakes. I assume some of this will happen next year so why buy
anything new now that means the bikes, plus all the wheels, are not the latest and greatest.

So I found 2 2009 P2's for around the price of a new one. Making the changes on them now to be the way I want them. For me, since the pre 2014 frames allow
one to put an english square taper BB on this was a make or break since I use 200mm cranks on the bikes.

This stuff about one bike will save seconds is just going to happen for me in real life.

So glad I went the used route. If something happens to the bike, or if I need to sell, I am not out a ton of money.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: New P2 vs Old P2 [Liaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Liaman wrote:
BryanD wrote:
VAPORPARK wrote:
Nick B wrote:

Agreed.

Your assuming he's competitive about his time/placing. Perhaps he just wants to lose weight on his body but not his wallet and spend more time outside. With your way of thinking, we should all go out and buy Lamborghini's.
Quote Reply
Re: New P2 vs Old P2 [mcmetal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mcmetal wrote:
Liaman wrote:
BryanD wrote:
VAPORPARK wrote:
Nick B wrote:

Agreed.

Your assuming he's competitive about his time/placing. Perhaps he just wants to lose weight on his body but not his wallet and spend more time outside. With your way of thinking, we should all go out and buy Lamborghini's.

But it is so hard to resist the dark side in our sport of buying stuff we do not need. :(

And since I hear bike shops are really getting hit, let alone many races, we need to keep the economy going, right? :)

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: New P2 vs Old P2 [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
mcmetal wrote:
Liaman wrote:
BryanD wrote:
VAPORPARK wrote:
Nick B wrote:

Agreed.

But it is so hard to resist the dark side in our sport of buying stuff we do not need. :(

And since I hear bike shops are really getting hit, let alone many races, we need to keep the economy going, right? :)

Yeah, three velotrons and two identical bikes will be good for the used sporting goods economy!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mcmetal wrote:
Liaman wrote:
BryanD wrote:
VAPORPARK wrote:
Nick B wrote:

Agreed.

Well that's a ridiculous comparison. We don't race when we drive. When I'm racing, I prefer to get done as fast as possible so I can enjoy the rest of my day, eat post race food and drinks, and be lazy. Why would someone not want to finish faster? Sure, I race to be competitive. I get that some people don't. I still think it's stupid when people say they don't care about time savings.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: New P2 vs Old P2 [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
mcmetal wrote:
Liaman wrote:
BryanD wrote:
VAPORPARK wrote:
Nick B wrote:

Agreed.

Well that's a ridiculous comparison. We don't race when we drive. When I'm racing, I prefer to get done as fast as possible so I can enjoy the rest of my day, eat post race food and drinks, and be lazy. Why would someone not want to finish faster? Sure, I race to be competitive. I get that some people don't. I still think it's stupid when people say they don't care about time savings.

Did he say he was racing? Many people enter "events" for the motivation, not for the placement. If your not shooting for a placing, then saving a few minutes is not going to make a difference. Do you spend time in a wind tunnel? Well maybe you should pony up and optimize. It's all bang for the buck. With unlimited funds there are a lot of things you can do. Since the OP is considering a 2013 P2 instead of outright just buying a P5 with DA DI2, clearly he has a budget in mind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Going to the A2 tunnel is the next thing on my list. I'll have to wait because I just bought a Zipp 808 and Super 9. Even on a budget, there are smart purchases that can save you time. I would not buy an old P2 to save money. I have one. The new P2 is a much better and more aero design. The top tube bolts for instance means no more velcro strap bags. Better cable routing, di2 future proof, and 11 speed are worth having for a little more money

Last edited by: BryanD: May 7, 15 5:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The biggest reason to change to any frame is the position that it allows you. Position alone can make the biggest difference.
Quote Reply
Re: New P2 vs Old P2 [skot123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
skot123 wrote:
I just bought a new old stock 2013 Cervelo P2 about a month ago (it is my first tri bike as well)
I love my bike. The cost delta between the 2013 and the 2015 is allowed me to get a powertap rear wheel (still learning the nuances of training with power, but that is another topic).

This is a good point - yes the NP2 is marginally faster, but who is more likely to race faster, someone on a new P2 who hasn't been training with power, or someone on an old P2 who has? (obviously depends on how successful you are at training)

At my LBS the difference between the two was $800. Nowadays there are plenty of power options within that price point. Other things that increase speed could fit in there as well (wheels, helmet, clothing, bars, etc.). At some point you will hit a ceiling where you can't upgrade the old P2 anymore, and that's the point that the NP2 becomes faster, but for a few years anyways I'd argue the old P2 will end up racing faster because of the upgrades the cost savings allowed you to purchase.
Quote Reply

Prev Next