Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New Orleans 70.3 Parking
Quote | Reply
I'm considering New Orleans 70.3 for next year, but looking at the area, it doesn't look like there are any hotels within a safe walking distance to the start of the race. How was this handled last year? Was there plenty of parking at the marina? Was there a shuttle service that ran for the athletes and spectators? I'm coming in from out of town and am unfamiliar with the area. Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: New Orleans 70.3 Parking [bricklayer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are places nearer the lake start but if you're going to NOLA might as well be in the quarter or near Canal. Didn't see any places within walking distance to the start so you'd have to drive anyway. Plenty of parking at the start. We had a rental car but there's a shuttle from the host hotel on the river. Which is in a completely different spot from the finish. But then you need to get back to the start to get your bike... Then back to your hotel. Fun race but logistics are a total pain in the ass
Last edited by: ChrisM: Jul 25, 14 19:40
Quote Reply
Re: New Orleans 70.3 Parking [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We'll be driving in from Houston. Host hotel is saying th are sold out. Do you know if there is extra parking near or at the Hilton?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes there is a large parking lot about 5 minute walk as I recall. If anyone is coming with you and not racing much better deal for them to drive you to the start then meet at the finish.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome....thanks so much. I'll check out the area on Google Earth or something tomorrow to see if I can find the parking lot you're mentioning.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just heard from a friend and confirmed it on their FB page that the race is not a point to point anymore and it will end at south shore harbor. Improves the logistics but makes the race a bit less desirable
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
According to the ironman new orleans page, it is still a point to point. Starts at the harbor and ends in city park. There is plenty of parking in both areas.
Quote Reply
Re: New Orleans 70.3 Parking [buck_shot11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
buck_shot11 wrote:
According to the ironman new orleans page, it is still a point to point. Starts at the harbor and ends in city park. There is plenty of parking in both areas.

Go to their Facebook page. They've already announced it and are finalizing the new run course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I stand corrected. You are absolutely correct. Now that I think about it, it seems more family friendly. No more chasing your athlete around the course and looking for somewhere to park.
Quote Reply
Re: New Orleans 70.3 Parking [buck_shot11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I think logistically it's better for spectators as they don't have to move around, but there's absolutely *nothing* to do at south shore harbor but sit around a concrete parking lot and wait. So from that perspective it's tough on the spectators. I suppose they'll have the expo etc there.

I'd be interested to see the run course, but I have a suspicion it's going to suck, maybe an out and back along the lake front but returning to transition rather than turning right into the park.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
Yeah, I think logistically it's better for spectators as they don't have to move around, but there's absolutely *nothing* to do at south shore harbor but sit around a concrete parking lot and wait. So from that perspective it's tough on the spectators. I suppose they'll have the expo etc there.

I'd be interested to see the run course, but I have a suspicion it's going to suck, maybe an out and back along the lake front but returning to transition rather than turning right into the park.

It will certainly be interesting. Shoot the run course barely had any shade to begin with. If they do an out and back, it will be full sun the whole way and you'll have to cross that bridge twice!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:

I agree with everything Chris said. It was a logistical headache this year, with the finish remote from transition. If you're traveling solo, this change is good news. But this is definitely worse for spectators.

On the run, this likely means you're crossing that bridge again at mile 12. That should be fun.
Quote Reply