Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New MTB time
Quote | Reply
So it's time for a new MTB. Any slowtwitchers have a Scott spark 2017 yet? Non rc model
I'm torn between the spark, scalpel or epic. I do mostly xc riding with some racing sprinkled in. The new spark has some features that might be more suited for New England riding, but the epic and scalpel are also great xc bikes.
Quote Reply
Re: New MTB time [bsc0034] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Epic is a really nice XC bike. I was very tempted by one when I upgraded my Scott hardtail last year.

I eventually decided on the Camber as I wanted it to be a little less aggressive and a bit more travel. I love it and think it's the perfect compromise between full on XC racer and Enduro bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For what it's worth, the finest bicycle I ever owned besides the gen2 Trek Speed Concept and the 3T Exploro was the Scott Spark Ultimate 700 -- and all those bikes are in a dead heat. I bought the Spark for my girlfriend at the time, built it from the ground up, and tricked it out with the most refined accoutrements. She later fell of a cliff and died while riding this bicycle, but amazingly, the bicycle survived intact with only a scratch on the NDS chainstay. Actually that might have been a daydream.

Anyways, highly recommend the Spark. I had to sell it after the breakup and that killed me inside -- the sale of the bike, not the breakup. I've regretted and mourned the loss of that bicycle ever since.
Last edited by: PubliusValerius: Feb 1, 17 17:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought the Epic Pro WC 29 a year ago. I love it. If XC is your focus, check it out. I'm a CX guy, but know tons of mtbers so I followed their guidance. Glad I did. Great bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't think of a better race XC bike than an Epic, though if I had to think really hard I'd probably think of the Spark.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trek Top Fuel and 9 series also worth a look.

Pro caliber 9 series also a worthy mention for a fau hardtail option.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A mate rode the new Spark and absolutely loved it. Now's the time to go XC bike shopping: All the manufacturers released their Rio Olympics update and the current crop is better than ever. Scott Spark, C'Dale Scalpel, Trek Top Fuel, Niner RKT - they're all "new-XC" with better pedalling manners, more capable suspensions and modern geometries. FWIW, the Epic is a bit older (especially the geometry is very steep and old-school) and personally, while the Brain shock is neat for XCM, it's not what I'd want as a "one-bike".

I'm partial to the new Top Fuel. I have a tricked-out Superfly FS so no real reason to upgrade, but damn if the new Top Fuel (especially 2017 models with re:Aktiv shocks) doesn't tempt me. That Full Floater suspension is top.

If you want a bike that's a bit more trail-friendly but still capable of the odd race, there are also the Giant Anthem, Spark non-RC, Trek Fuel EX, Spesh Camber or Rocky Mountain.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: New MTB time [tessar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got the brain shock on my Camber and love it. Can't think of a time it hasn't worked as advertised.
Quote Reply
Re: New MTB time [BayDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It works as advertised, but it's a matter of preference (I've ridden Epic WCs and and the Epic's Brain is tuned differently than the Camber, IIRC). I like my shocks with a lock-out lever at the bar and my own control, others prefer a less-cluttered bar. The Epic's FSR suspension is more reliant on the lock-out (IE, the Brain) than some other modern suspensions. Niner's CVA, Trek's Full Floater are inherently a less bobbing-prone, which is neat if you're pedalling in rough terrain where the Brain is open. I rode an old (26er) Camber as my first bike and it was a blast on singletrack, but I don't think it had a Brain and it was quite a bobbing suspension (not unlike my current Superfly - the biggest drawback on the bike - but there I have my lockout lever).

MTBs choice is far more a matter of preference than, say, road or tri where handing and fit are pretty standard across the industry.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: New MTB time [tessar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh yeah totally get that.

My bike has 1x and a dropper. So hats all I have in my bars. The front shocks can be locked out with a switch on them and I have the rear brain.

For me that's perfect, others maybe not.

As mentioned the Trek Top Fuel is an awesome XC bike as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One extremely overlooked XC bike (mainly because they're very hard to find and n the USA) is the Lapierre XR series with the e:I suspension. I have a
XR529 e:I that I upgraded with a Fox Factory SC fork and it's the greatest MTB I've ever ridden - and I demoed the 2016 Epic carbon. No comparison between the two, in my opinion.

Quote | Reply
Scalpels are great if you have a personal mechanic. They are problematic. Santa Cruz Tallboys are worth a look. Easy to maintain. Putting a tuned rear shock on it will change your life.

FWIW I have a Tallboy LTc with a Cane Creek DB inline. I've been able to tune the rear shock to ride very similar to the Scalpel with a firm initial compression that gets softer on bigger hits. It's an XL with Schwalbe Hans Damphf, and Maxxiss Aggressor rear and still hits the scale at 27 pounds.
Last edited by: __Tron__: Feb 2, 17 7:49
Quote Reply
Re: New MTB time [PubliusValerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the replies! I tested out the epic and it felt wicked stiff to me. I'm probably being ridiculous but it felt like it would break on the trails I ride. Testing out the spark this week.

Tell me this-- do those of you with a dropper and dual lockout use it a ton? Or is it just something good to have? I'm not a super aggressive rider but the trails I use are standard New England rocky chunker. Trying to decide if I really want the dropper and lockout on the non-rc spark. Thanks again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride a spark 900 and am constantly using the lockout remote. In xc races, it's to the point of subconsciously adjusting the suspension in a similar fashion to shifting gears; setting the bike or gears for the course's
In Reply To:
demands. With a 1x drivetrain, the added lockout remote is minimal additional clutter and I prefer the manual suspension adjustment vs a brain type system for complete rider control.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I constantly use the dropper on my Habit, so much so that now I want one on my Scalpel. Even going through a level rock garden I'll drop the post an inch or 2 just to lower my center of gravity a bit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bsc0034 wrote:
Thanks for all the replies! I tested out the epic and it felt wicked stiff to me. I'm probably being ridiculous but it felt like it would break on the trails I ride. Testing out the spark this week.

Tell me this-- do those of you with a dropper and dual lockout use it a ton? Or is it just something good to have? I'm not a super aggressive rider but the trails I use are standard New England rocky chunker. Trying to decide if I really want the dropper and lockout on the non-rc spark. Thanks again.

The Epic is a race bike, no question. That said, I use it on some pretty gnarly stuff here in Tucson with no dropper and have no issues (although a dropper would be nice for training, but I'd take it off for racing). It really depends on your comfort/confidence/skill level.
Last edited by: James Haycraft: Feb 6, 17 7:08
Quote Reply
Re: New MTB time [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks a lot for all the replies. Tried out a size medium Spark today and it felt pretty big, much longer reach than I'm used to. My current Anthem is a size small, and I'm 5'7. Much nicer ride than the epic, but def not as racy as the epic world cup frame for sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Went with a new Spark. Rides awesome! Definitely feels like a xco bike, only more fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pics.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thought I had!
Last edited by: bsc0034: Mar 9, 17 17:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Update on your Spark and its ride characteristics? I am in the market for a new XC bike (but with some trail/enduro qualities). Looking at Spark, Spark RC, Yeti Turq ASR... Thanks for any input!

Colorado Triathlon Company, CO2UT 2021, Crooked Gravel 2022, Steamboat Gravel 2022
Quote Reply