Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New Look Keo Pedals “gritty”
Quote | Reply
I have looked all over and can’t seem to get a definitive answer on this. Therefore, I will solicit opinions from the ST community.

Recently purchased a new pair of Look Keo Max 2 Carbon pedals. I have owned several pairs of these that I have mounted on other bikes.

After installing them, I noticed that they have a slight bit if resistance in the spin and both pedals seem to have a gritty sound to them.

My other pedals do not do this and I am wondering if this is normal to new Looks and I never noticed before or if I received a bum pair of pedals.

I ordered these from Planet Cyclery and of course because I’ve taken them out of the box they won’t exchange them but will “warranty” them if they determine there is an issue. That is only after I’ve paid to ship them back. If there isn’t an issue then I can pay to have them shipped back to me again. Which is a PITA and a waste of time for 60 dollar pedals.

Anyone have any insight?
Quote Reply
Re: New Look Keo Pedals “gritty” [Geek_fit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At $60, seems like you got a pretty good deal. I'd take the spindle off, make sure everything looks OK inside, maybe re-lube it, and see if I could make it spin smooth. If not, then I'd pursue the warranty.
Quote Reply
Re: New Look Keo Pedals “gritty” [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:
At $60, seems like you got a pretty good deal. I'd take the spindle off, make sure everything looks OK inside, maybe re-lube it, and see if I could make it spin smooth. If not, then I'd pursue the warranty.

That's about what I've always paid for them. Wasn't a special sale item or anything.

I'll look up instructions on how to "service them." Though my understanding is that Look pedals are not intended to be serviceable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Look pedals are serviceable, with correct tool to remove axle assembly.

It used to be that the bearings ran very smooth, with little grease. Then there was complaint that the pedals were hard to get into because they spun too much; haha, now we add more grease to pedal doesn't spin. Now sometimes new pedals are so sticky the pedal doesn't 'hang' in the nose up position to clip in. Le *sigh*

Combination of cheaper and cheaper bearings, plus less grease.

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Re: New Look Keo Pedals “gritty” [ABarnes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ABarnes wrote:
Look pedals are serviceable, with correct tool to remove axle assembly.

It used to be that the bearings ran very smooth, with little grease. Then there was complaint that the pedals were hard to get into because they spun too much; haha, now we add more grease to pedal doesn't spin. Now sometimes new pedals are so sticky the pedal doesn't 'hang' in the nose up position to clip in. Le *sigh*

Combination of cheaper and cheaper bearings, plus less grease.

Interesting. They do hang in the right position.

Maybe they just need to break in? They are not stuck..they just don't spin quite as smooth as my other set of pedals
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got the same pedals from Planet Cyclery about 10 months ago. I also noticed that they had much more friction than my five year old Keo Classics, at least initially. I just lived with it and rode them. Today they spin great. So just ignore it and they'll be fine.
Quote Reply
Re: New Look Keo Pedals “gritty” [fidracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I'm betting they were all.like that new and I just never noticed
Quote Reply