Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New Giant Trinity [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree the pricing is odd, but remember the frameset is the UCI legal version, the "TT" version. The fork and front end are different. I think in similar fashion to the Specialized Shiv TT, these framesets cater to an even smaller audience than the tri version, perhaps hence the price tag?

Also, doing a more apples to apples price comparison, the frameset is $3900, whereas the Trinity Advanced Pro 2 (with bayonet fork and integrated front end and Ultegra build) is $3400. I wonder of that front hydration pack is removable (in a way that racing without it is also possible, I'd assume its removable for cleaning in any case). Is that the case with the Plasma?
Quote Reply
Re: New Giant Trinity [durk onion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, that is lame.
While I understand that most of the time you would switch to the little ring, you'll be climbing, thus on the base bar...still seems like an annoying way to save a little $.
Quote Reply
Re: New Giant Trinity [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What you talkin bout Willis? Rafael first showed his carbon time trial bikes in 2009 and it had no integration. Trek released for sale the speed concept in 2010(and I can remember a friend in 2008 telling me the next trek bike was going to blow my mind).
Quote Reply
Re: New Giant Trinity [Runless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Even more importantly, I showed my first front bottle integrated with a Softride in late 2008 on this website, so Raphael gets no credit whatsoever.
Quote Reply
Re: New Giant Trinity [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I actually prefer the single button setup
Quote Reply
Re: New Giant Trinity [walie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
walie wrote:
Looks like the new Sco- I mean Giant trinity bikes have been announced at Kona

http://www.slowtwitch.com/...y_1_images_5401.html

Such a long wait and that's what they came up with ?

For me there is no wow factor or desireability with Giant TT bikes.

Really ugly certainly the worst of any bigger brands.
Quote Reply
Re: New Giant Trinity [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Giant has always had a strange way of pricing their framesets.

I actually really like the design of the new bikes with ththe exception of the front brake on the lower end models. As an owner of the previous generation Trinity, I really expected them to get that front brake cable out of the way in the new version.
Quote Reply
Re: New Giant Trinity [Cup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My son's bike shop sells Giant. IMO the ugliest bikes in the retail marketplace.
Quote Reply
Re: New Giant Trinity [horn_blower] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aw. They make some good looking bikes.
Quote Reply
Re: New Giant Trinity [horn_blower] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If ugly keeps the price down and the wind can't see beauty, then the Giant might be a smart buy.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
walie wrote:

Interesting. Why?
I can see it being simpler (less likely to hit the wrong button), cheaper, perhaps light and aero.
But, occasionally I switch the front ring while staying in aero. That'd be a drag.
Quote Reply
Re: New Giant Trinity [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfroelich wrote:
walie wrote:

Interesting. Why?
I can see it being simpler (less likely to hit the wrong button), cheaper, perhaps light and aero.
But, occasionally I switch the front ring while staying in aero. That'd be a drag.

It isn't. I have my bike setup with DA single buttons on the extensions (left = easier gear or "move left up the cassette, right = harder, move right). Double buttons on the brakes, and programmed opposite of factory settings (as in top button = upshift/harder, bottom button = downshift/easier).

Simplifies shifting and few screw-ups. And the feel of the single buttons are nicer than the double aeros (smaller and more ergo).

And it is true, I really never shift to the smaller ring unless I'm going to sit up and have my hands on the base bars. The very small occasions when I have to shift when aero do not outweigh the advantages of a single button setup. My only wish would be just a single button for the chainring shifting. Since there is only two rings, it would be easy just to toggle a single button rather than choose between a two-button chainring solution.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was able to get my hands on an Advanced Pro 2 yesterday at my LBS. This bike is sweet! Both the front and rear brakes are top notch; you can tell a lot of thought and work went into them. The bike is light too, if you slap some race wheels on the Advanced Pro 0 I would say it is going to definitely be one of the lighter tri bikes out there; way lighter than the damn Shiv and IA.
Quote Reply
Re: New Giant Trinity [DrexelTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DrexelTri wrote:
The bike is light too, if you slap some race wheels on the Advanced Pro 0 I would say it is going to definitely be one of the lighter tri bikes out there; way lighter than the damn Shiv and IA.

And unless you're racing Alpe d'huez that matters why?

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: New Giant Trinity [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It does matter but not nearly as much as aero.
Quote Reply
Re: New Giant Trinity [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IMLP
Challenge Quassy
Black Bear
Savageman

To name a few in the Northeast...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMLP - nothing over 5% and then only for a couple short sections.
Challenge quassy - hardest climb average grade 2.7%
Black Bear, max grade 5% for a short section
Savage Man - some short parts are very very steep. It it enough to make weight more important than aero over the entire race? I dunno. Could be.

Unless you are climbing over 7%, aero is more important than weight. Even if there are short sections on a course over 7%, it's usually not enough to counter the importance of aero on the rest of the course. There are very few triathlons in the world with enough climbing to bias weight over aero.

Now if the Giant bike were just as aero as the IA, but lighter and fits right, then it would be a no brainer. But weight will always be my last consideration for a tri bike.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DrexelTri wrote:
I was able to get my hands on an Advanced Pro 2 yesterday at my LBS. This bike is sweet! Both the front and rear brakes are top notch; you can tell a lot of thought and work went into them. The bike is light too, if you slap some race wheels on the Advanced Pro 0 I would say it is going to definitely be one of the lighter tri bikes out there; way lighter than the damn Shiv and IA.

I haven't been able to tell from the website. What is the seatpost like? It doesn't look like it is integrated, but is it very adjustable? I saw that they with with an integrated stem, which I am not crazy about, but I think aero bars could have enough range to possibly compensate for.
Quote Reply

Prev Next