Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
New Garmin Vector S power meter - $900
Quote | Reply
Left side only, pedal based power meter. User can then upgrade to both sides at a later date if they choose.

*grabs popcorn and waits for the inevitable rants against Garmin, one-sided power meters and ripping off consumers*

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: New Garmin Vector S power meter - $900 [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seems about $200 too expensive to match the most obvious competitor. Nice that you can "upgrade it" later I guess. So that's something.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: New Garmin Vector S power meter - $900 [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Garmin should think of rebranding their name to "Meh"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is it right side or left side :) more popcorn.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Founder: BestBikeSplit
Amazonian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One-sided pedal is where it's at. Glad to see somebody doing this. Who else is?

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: New Garmin Vector S power meter - $900 [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
According to bikerumour.com the Vector S will cost US$899 whilst the optional right-side upgrade pedal will be US$699. This seems to beat the full package retail price of US$1,699... Of course, the standard Vector is available from many places at discounted prices, so the prices may be less favourable than on paper.
Quote Reply
Re: New Garmin Vector S power meter - $900 [JerseyBigfoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can get the standard vector on the cheap because it is a total POS. LBS recomended stages, they sent their vectors back because they didn't want to sell total shit products.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Re: New Garmin Vector S power meter - $900 [MTBSully] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have never seriously considered Vector due to the price but I still see some advantage of it over Stages for cross-compatibility between bikes. I ride track as well and a pedal based or cleat based system is pretty much the only option I'd have for 1 power meter to swap between tri, road and track.

That of course would be assuming that it's reasonably consistent in it's measurements and reliable enough. I haven't kept up on Vector gripes but I've never owned a Garmin sports product that I didn't have to RMA before and I've owned quite a few.
Quote Reply
Re: New Garmin Vector S power meter - $900 [tgarson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is a reason the Garmin Sharp team didn't use them.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
>You can get the standard vector on the cheap because it is a total POS. LBS recomended stages, they sent their vectors back because they didn't want to sell total shit products.

What's the problem with the Vector? I know 3 people with them who have no complaints....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MTBSully wrote:
You can get the standard vector on the cheap because it is a total POS. LBS recomended stages, they sent their vectors back because they didn't want to sell total shit products.

I have to say, I'm always a bit surprised by comments like this, as the Vector pedals I was given have performed almost flawlessly. I even crash-tested them back in May, and they survived unscathed (my back, not so much). In fact, they've been so 'plug-and-play' that they've quickly become my 2nd-favorite powermeter (still can't beat a wired SRM for some applications).
Quote Reply
Re: New Garmin Vector S power meter - $900 [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From what I have heard is that if you over/under torque your pedal slightly, it wont work.

LBS said they sold a few pairs, all of them were returned because they didn't work, the replacements didn't work. Most likely an install issue, they thought it was bad practice to sell people $800 pedals that didn't offer anything better than equally priced products that were more reliable.

Go look at your pedals, they get banged on the ground, on the doors in and out of the house. Miss the pedal by even a little clipping in and you snap that pod thingy off, I would cry at the cost of getting flummoxed at a stop light. Tired an tip over clipped in, pedal smacks the ground, not a cheap mistake. Bike tips over when leaned against the car, pedal hits the ground.

Clearance issues on some cranks.

Can you replace the spindle? Cross thread that even a little and good by pedal.

Basically I think putting something in a pedal is a bad idea.

The concept to interchange is awesome tho.

Quote Reply
Re: New Garmin Vector S power meter - $900 [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like Mrs Rinard used them to good effect (national track championship!) as well.

They may require a certain level of meticulousness that most are not ready for. I recall explaining here that swapping them from bike to bike wasn't going to be quite so simple since you have to take care to torque them properly and 'bed' them in.

But nobody though that was really necessary.

Which is consistent with people thinking half a power meter is good enough I guess. Because if you don't care if the data is consistent or accurate, who cares?

Andrew Coggan wrote:
MTBSully wrote:

I have to say, I'm always a bit surprised by comments like this, as the Vector pedals I was given have performed almost flawlessly. I even crash-tested them back in May, and they survived unscathed (my back, not so much). In fact, they've been so 'plug-and-play' that they've quickly become my 2nd-favorite powermeter (still can't beat a wired SRM for some applications).

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: New Garmin Vector S power meter - $900 [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am totally going to get flamed for all of this.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MTBSully wrote:
There is a reason the Garmin Sharp team didn't use them.

I am sure, but can you give some valid reasons?
Quote Reply
Re: New Garmin Vector S power meter - $900 [JerseyBigfoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JerseyBigfoot wrote:
According to bikerumour.com the Vector S will cost US$899 whilst the optional right-side upgrade pedal will be US$699. This seems to beat the full package retail price of US$1,699... Of course, the standard Vector is available from many places at discounted prices, so the prices may be less favourable than on paper.

The full price of vector has dropped to 1,499 and there is a $200 rebate available until September, so there is a penalty for only buying the left side and upgrading later.
Quote Reply
Re: New Garmin Vector S power meter - $900 [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anything I can offer would be purely speculative, but I would say the carnage of the peloton would be reason enough. A hub and BB are rather protected, a pedal can get smacked even without a crash, a stray bottle would pose a hazard, let alone a crash.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
> Because if you don't care if the data is consistent or accurate, who cares?

The benefit of both-legged power over one-legged power seems marginal. For the great majority of time, for most people, one leg is accurate enough for the majority of purposes.

I'd want both legs if I was a track sprinter, etc. But for tracking FTP, TSS, MMP >10s etc, I haven't seen any reason to think it's not perfectly good data. My left/right balance from test-riding Vectors and the pseudo l/r of my Quarq is one of the most intensely boring metrics ever to come off a PM. I'm sure there are situations where it swings wildly, etc, for some people. I sure haven't seen those situations, except exceeding 1000W. And I don't really care that much about my >1000W data because it represents a minuscule time relative to my total riding time.

And good enough for Sky, who seem to be among the bigger data-whores in the pro ranks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MTBSully wrote:
Anything I can offer would be purely speculative, but I would say the carnage of the peloton would be reason enough. A hub and BB are rather protected, a pedal can get smacked even without a crash, a stray bottle would pose a hazard, let alone a crash.

As I mentioned, I crashed while using mine back in May. They survived just fine (an n=1 test only, of course).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What was the nature of the crash? I have crashed a bunch and never damaged my helmet, they must be crash proof, or I don't need one.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i think you might have been misinformed. Also, dealer that sell certain brand of bike like specialized etc have a big quantity of non compatible crank. Those shop have tendency to talk down the product.

The reality is, the vector have performe extremely well and she they are solid when you follow the instruction. Torquing them is extremely easy and quick step. I dont have them anymore as i was doing testing on them only for a few months but if i was to purchase a powermeter, it would be the Vector.

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
I recall explaining here that swapping them from bike to bike wasn't going to be quite so simple since you have to take care to torque them properly and 'bed' them in.

I'd replace "properly" with "sufficiently", since once they're tight enough (which is pretty tight, at least for pedals, which tend to self-tighten), you're good to go.

You also have to make sure you don't let the pods hit the crank arms while tightening the spindles, but that's easy enough to do.

As for bedding things in, well, you need to do that w/ other powermeters as well after disturbing the system.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MTBSully wrote:
What was the nature of the crash? I have crashed a bunch and never damaged my helmet, they must be crash proof, or I don't need one.

Like I said, n=1 only, but since you asked...

I flipped a stick into my front wheel, heard it hit the spokes and/or fork, had time to think "oh s***!", then woke up on the pavement shortly thereafter with a bunch of people standing around me (including a priest, who seemed to be administering my last rites*). Primary damage to the bike was a broken fork, but one of the pedals must have hit the pavement pretty hard as well.

*I should post this to Jim Martin's "what did you see on your ride today?" thread.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a newfound interest in track so I'm going to keep diverting this thread back to that topic despite it being completely irrelevant to the vast majority of readers on this forum. Is there still concern over damaging the pods due to pedal strike or has that been thoroughly disproved by now?

I'd think it would be more likely on the track than the road for obvious reasons unless the raised BB height and crank length of most proper track bikes still makes it a non issue on the banks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

*I should post this to Jim Martin's "what did you see on your ride today?" thread.[/quote]
"today I saw a priest revive me."

Thank you for sharing, my speculation is far less valuable than your actual experience.

Quote Reply

Prev Next