Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New Flo 60/90 combo or used Zipp 404/808 with Powertap hub?
Quote | Reply

I am prepared to buy aero wheels for my 2015 P2. I was going to purchase the Flo 60/90 combo for approx. $900 pre tax.

However, I also have the opportunity to buy a used Zipp 404/808 combo with Powertap hub for approx. $1150. I think they are from 2010 or 2012 and have approx. They are the previous generation with aluminum braking. They are geared for a 10 speed. So I would need to spend about $100 bucks on a freehub body to replace current ten speed version allowing the wheel to be Shimano 11 speed compatible. No re-dishing of the wheel is required. The current rider has put about 1500 miles on them, but a lot of those were on a trainer. The guy he bought them from only raced with them and estimated less than 500 miles.

Any issues with converting the 10 speed Powertap hub with the freehub? Would that dissuade anyone?

The owner also had a disc cover cut specifically for the Zipp 808 wheel as well.

I also have a Garmin 910xt a believe the powertap would send the data to my watch.

Any advice or recommendations out there on these wheels or what would be the best bet?

Any/all thoughts or replies would be greatly appreciated to help out his newbie trying to build up his P2!

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: New Flo 60/90 combo or used Zipp 404/808 with Powertap hub? [ValleyRyder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Flo 60/90 will be faster than the pre-Firecrest Zipp wheels.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: New Flo 60/90 combo or used Zipp 404/808 with Powertap hub? [ValleyRyder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ValleyRyder wrote:

I am prepared to buy aero wheels for my 2015 P2. I was going to purchase the Flo 60/90 combo for approx. $900 pre tax.

However, I also have the opportunity to buy a used Zipp 404/808 combo with Powertap hub for approx. $1150. I think they are from 2010 or 2012 and have approx. They are the previous generation with aluminum braking. They are geared for a 10 speed. So I would need to spend about $100 bucks on a freehub body to replace current ten speed version allowing the wheel to be Shimano 11 speed compatible. No re-dishing of the wheel is required. The current rider has put about 1500 miles on them, but a lot of those were on a trainer. The guy he bought them from only raced with them and estimated less than 500 miles.

Any issues with converting the 10 speed Powertap hub with the freehub? Would that dissuade anyone?

The owner also had a disc cover cut specifically for the Zipp 808 wheel as well.

I also have a Garmin 910xt a believe the powertap would send the data to my watch.

Any advice or recommendations out there on these wheels or what would be the best bet?

Any/all thoughts or replies would be greatly appreciated to help out his newbie trying to build up his P2!

Thanks!

If you've never had a power meter, getting one and properly using it will give you more gain than any set of wheels

The flos are faster than the zipps, but only by a handful of seconds. Learning to train and pace correctly with a power meter can make you faster by minutes.

Is the powertap a g3 or sl+/pro+? The g3 is easily convertible to 11 spd, not sure about earlier models. You may need to have them rebuild it, which isn't a bad deal.
Quote Reply
Re: New Flo 60/90 combo or used Zipp 404/808 with Powertap hub? [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
The Flo 60/90 will be faster than the pre-Firecrest Zipp wheels.

My understanding was that depends on the speed you ride at. If you are fast, and hence mostly riding at very low yaw angles then the pre-firecrest Zipps were just as fast as newer wheels. At slower speeds, hence/or higher yaw angles the firecrests, and other new wheels, start to win (though not very much unless the improved handling makes you faster). I may very well be incorrect in that assumption though, so apologies if I am.
Quote Reply
Re: New Flo 60/90 combo or used Zipp 404/808 with Powertap hub? [Karl.n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the powertap is a sl+/pro+ (carbon)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get the zipps with a PT. getting a power meter was the best decision I ever made.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was able to use 11s drivetrain on a pro+ hub. Eventually the bearings crapped out in the hub and I sent it in to PT for service. It was then upgraded to G3 internals and cap last summer, cost me $350 if I remember correctly. I'll echo the other responses though, training and pacing with power makes a WORLD of difference (so does a good coach).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ValleyRyder wrote:

Thanks!

You can get the Flo 60/90 ($900) and power2max Type S FSA Gossamer ($500) and end up with better, all-new equipment for $1400. While you're still liable for use tax, neither Flo nor power2max will collect it if you're out of state. I would definitely pay a $150 premium (minus any unknown costs) to not have any issues with previously used gear, especially the wheels that have been resold multiple times.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice thing with Zipp is they are handmade here in the USA. Also not an aluminum rim with a carbon fairing. I think Flo are great wheels and isn't a bad choice if you go that way. But used Zipps in good condition is the route I would personally go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
power meter
Quote Reply