Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
New Extreme Triathlon's in the US!
Quote | Reply
Ironcowboyracing.com has announced two new extreme endurance triathlons in the US, one in Vermont, the other in Utah. They are also having triathlon camps this year as well.

Just curious what people think about them, and if there's a lot of interest to challenge themselves with it?

I am registered for the Utah event, so I'm toeing up to the line regardless of people's opinion's!

Race Info: http://www.ironcowboyracing.com/races.html
Quote Reply
Re: New Extreme Triathlon's in the US! [amanwithnoname] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wish them well. Looks like pretty cool races. You don't get much support though.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
amanwithnoname wrote:
Ironcowboyracing.com has announced two new extreme endurance triathlons in the US, one in Vermont, the other in Utah. They are also having triathlon camps this year as well.

Just curious what people think about them, and if there's a lot of interest to challenge themselves with it?

I am registered for the Utah event, so I'm toeing up to the line regardless of people's opinion's!

Is this a damn joke? The website is using photos that are stolen/not original. Nice that they are using someones photo of Maroon Bells in COLORADO for the Utah event, and a photo RIPPED from Ironman.com for the Lake Placid Camp.

This is not ethical or cool in any way.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Training/Racing Log - http://www.earthdaykid.com/blog --- Old Training/Racing Log - http://colinlaughery.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: New Extreme Triathlon's in the US! [colinlaughery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there an Xtreme Elliptical leg?
Quote Reply
Re: New Extreme Triathlon's in the US! [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Is there an Xtreme Elliptical leg?

Kabam. You win the Internet today, Paul!!

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On one hand... can't complain about someone making a go at independent races. But this guy does smack as an opportunist, in it for money (which Dan has quite rightfully identified as the worst way to create compellling, leading-to-iconic, races).

My guess is each race gets 20-30 racers. MAYBE, big MAYBE, 50? So will bring in $10-$20K revenue. Not going to be making much dough afterwards.

Thinking these don't last very long...
Last edited by: Dan Funk: Feb 12, 18 13:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
amanwithnoname wrote:

Hop'e th'e race's surviv'e
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
colinlaughery wrote:
amanwithnoname wrote:

Is this a damn joke? The website is using photos that are stolen/not original. Nice that they are using someones photo of Maroon Bells in COLORADO for the Utah event, and a photo RIPPED from Ironman.com for the Lake Placid Camp.

This is not ethical or cool in any way.

Given the language on course description and gear I highly doubt this is sanctioned/insured/permitted.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No joke Collin - looks like an awesome race. Not ethical or cool in anyway? This is the first year of the race so I doubt they have race images. If someone owns those pics I'm sure he would switch them out with no issue. Regardless of a pic on the site it sounds like a legit challenge and I want to do it!
Last edited by: amanwithnoname: Feb 12, 18 12:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No way I'd give this guy my money.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
amanwithnoname wrote:
No joke Collin - looks like an awesome race. Not ethical or cool in anyway? This is the first year of the race so I doubt they have race images. If someone owns those pics I'm sure he would switch them out with no issue. Regardless of a pic on the site it sounds like a legit challenge and I want to do it!

Keep yourself anonymous with your name so you're true identity is not seen with that dude.

No interest in those races, nor anything this guy promotes. He's in it for the money and fame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
amanwithnoname wrote:

So steal photos and take them down if the owner sees them.... misrepresent your race by showing photos of a completely different state than where the race is? That's cool with you because it's the first year?

This guy has always been a con-artist. No way I would give him my money.

What's the over/under on these races even being permitted?

Edit: The bike course is completely without officials or traffic control, apparently. You are required to stop at all stop lights and stop signs. Probably no timing mats and completely on the honor system to prevent course cutters or drafters.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Last edited by: RowToTri: Feb 12, 18 13:12
Quote Reply
Re: New Extreme Triathlon's in the US! [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
race info stated no timing systems. Says they will have people checking athletes in at transitions, finish and at points on course

Boots
Fleet Feet Rochester, NY
Fleet Feet Buffalo, NY
YellowJacket Racing, Rochester, NY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't click the link, but I'm assuming the promoter is James "Iron Cowboy" Lawrence?

I thought the 50-50-50 deal was kinda cool for the effort. but the execution was lacking. I've met him and read his book and feel like he's kinda thin-skinned. My general impression is that he's severely lacking in organizational skills and not one to think things through, so I don't think I'd be quick to give him my money. I'd be willing to bet a few dollars on this being a hilarious disaster.

Are the pics he's using copyrighted? I'm not really outraged by it, but, pragmatically, it's a really quick way to make your race look amateurish and disreputable. There's also the matter of whether or not the images are public domain (unlikely). I don't feel like using a pic of the wrong state is sinister or criminal - it's just amusingly inept, imo.
Last edited by: notadistancegod: Feb 12, 18 13:30
Quote Reply
Re: New Extreme Triathlon's in the US! [FF Boots] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Soooo.....

No aid stations.
No timing.
No officials.
No traffic controls.

Entry fees just go straight into JL's pocket?

How much does this thing cost anyway? I started to make a fake account but even then you do not get to see prices... they ask you to complete registration with address, phone, emergency contact etc. but they still don't tell you what the fee is.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
from the site

Field Limit: 350
  • Registration Cost: $450 single racer and $650 team

• Boots
    Fleet Feet Rochester, NY
    Fleet Feet Buffalo, NY
    YellowJacket Racing, Rochester, NY
    Quote Reply
    Re: New Extreme Triathlon's in the US! [FF Boots] [ In reply to ]
    Quote | Reply
    Ah... missed that.

Well at least if you finish in the top 100 you get a "limited edition commemorative coin".

-------------
    Ed O'Malley
    www.VeloVetta.com
    Instagram • Facebook
    Quote Reply
    Re: New Extreme Triathlon's in the US! [notadistancegod] [ In reply to ]
    Quote | Reply
    notadistancegod wrote:

but the execution was lacking
    I thought he executed 50/50/50 majestically. How he got on the elliptical, took numerous IVs per day, ran and biked indoors, drafted on the bike, etc and then convinced a lot of people that he broke records and actually accomplished something.

2x Deca-Ironman World Cup (10 Ironmans in 10 days), 2x Quintuple Ironman World Cup (5 Ironmans in 5 days), Ultraman, Ultra Marathoner, and I once did an Ironman.
    Quote Reply
    Quote | Reply
    RowToTri wrote:
    Soooo.....

No aid stations.
    No timing.
    No officials.
    No traffic controls.
    Entry fees just go straight into JL's pocket?

How much does this thing cost anyway? I started to make a fake account but even then you do not get to see prices... they ask you to complete registration with address, phone, emergency contact etc. but they still don't tell you what the fee is.

So this is a tri run by the "Iron Cowboy"?!

I suppose this will go by the same rules as his 50 IM "record"?

I've had running issues lately, maybe I will use the elliptical. On second thought, maybe I will ride my elliptigo. That way I can do the bike and run at the same time! My bike might be a bit slower, but since I can get the running done at the same time it will be a win!

I could even hook up and IV while doing so to prevent dehydration! Awesome!
    Quote Reply
    Re: New Extreme Triathlon's in the US! [helo guy] [ In reply to ]
    Quote | Reply
    With this race all you gotta do is just ride or run wherever you want. If it's pretty short maybe have a picnic lunch. A roll in the hay with your better half. Then head back to transition. There is no way for anyone to know if you did the course or not.

-------------
    Ed O'Malley
    www.VeloVetta.com
    Instagram • Facebook
    Quote Reply
    Quote | Reply
    The Vermont location is actually a good one for a triathlon, I have been wondering when something would take place there. It is close to Montreal and Quebec City. It is the nice part of Vermont, a lot less populated and yuppified / Joey from Jersey influenced Southern VT.

Sounds like the run will be on the Circumburke course (26 Mile MTB course) and will use Kingdom trails, which is a MTB mecca.

Lake Willoughby in the summer is really nice - I dont think it is that extreme really. It is a super clean really nice mountain lake.

They could do an epic Xterra race there if they could connect to the Kingdom trails. For those who dont know Kingdom trails is a 150 mile MTB trail network that sees about 100K riders per year, and is probably a top 3 US MTB desitnation.

I would do a well organized normal tri there but I wont be dropping any money for this kind of half baked race.
    Quote Reply
    Quote | Reply
    I noticed the "camps" seem to have disappeared off of his website. So unfortunate to see those go.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    New Training/Racing Log - http://www.earthdaykid.com/blog --- Old Training/Racing Log - http://colinlaughery.blogspot.com
    Quote Reply
    Quote | Reply
    colinlaughery wrote:
    I noticed the "camps" seem to have disappeared off of his website. So unfortunate to see those go.

I guess they’re having trouble selling slots, I see the race fee was $450 and with a code they’ve dropped it to $150. Usually not a sign of something drawing much interest!
    Quote Reply
    Re: New Extreme Triathlon's in the US! [Chilybil23] [ In reply to ]
    Quote | Reply
    Not too long till this all dissolves. I liked following his 50/50, but this seems like a poorly planned and executed series of events.

Quote Reply
    Quote | Reply

I grew in Aspen (home of Maroon Bells) and there was little dust up in the late 80s when some Utah product (I think it was milk) was being advertised as "from the mountains of Utah" or some such angle, and they used a pic of The Bells. At one time I remember hearing it was the most photographed mountain in North America - but that could have been just Aspen marketing hype (we did our fair share of that).

On another note - In 2003 I did this Mountain Extreme Triathlon out of the Jordanelle Res. The mountain bike course was tough (I think my bike split was 9+ hrs). Winner went over 15 hours. That race was a one-and-done with maybe 40 people in it.

I'm excited for new/weird/gravel tris in the future. Also very important to me - the values of the people behind the race.

Ian

Ian Murray
    http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
    I like the pursuit of mastery
    Twitter - @TriCoachIan
    Quote Reply

Prev Next