Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New Editorial: Travelling as an athlete.
Quote | Reply
Here's a new one. Your commetns and criticisms are always welcome and helpful.

http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/...orials/0000075.shtml

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: New Editorial: Travelling as an athlete. [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom, great article. Makes me wish I could travel to race. I have seen a significant portion of the world and was amazed by the welcome you would get off the beaten path. As my travel was by USN aircraft carrier, the up front public welcome was always about the profit for the merchants. But I was always one to seek out the back streets and quieter areas, where the locals were genuinly friendly and glad to see you. I can't even count the number of local sights and flavors (I love to experiment with new foods) I encountered that my fellow sailors never saw. They were more concered with wether or not the country had been invaded by McD's yet. In the time I spent doing this the only unpleasent encounter I had was an attempted mugging in Mombasa Kenya which I managed to fight off. Your topics always seem to bring up past memories for me.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where is that LS Blade review you keep teasing us about??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
very inspiring tom. i've only race "abroad" in montreal but even there i felt like an ambassador of my country. i do want to race in germany and this is a good kick in the pants. however, i'd like to wait for my 19wk old daughter to get a little older so she can appreciate it.

thanks for the great reading. keep it up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice work, as usual...and you're right - when we travel to other countries, whether for races/events, business or just for fun, it is important to remember that (like it or not), we're representing not only ourselves, but our country as well. Best to remember that, and behave accordingly, remembering that you're a guest. I've seen some behavior from Americans while visiting other countries that I found extremely embarassing. No need to take a poke at IM Wisconsin, though. It might not be tropical or exotic, but it is pretty in a Midwest kinda way. And if you're looking for a challenge, the bike course serves up plenty. Sure, the run course has it's drawbacks in spots, but there are some positives as well and the atmosphere of downtown Madison is quite energizing. Sure, I'd love to do IM NZ, Australia, Austria, France, etc. but time and money are limited (and I don't even have kids). Besides, if you live in the Midwest, the timing of Wisconsin is perfect - build your base in the spring, train hard all summer when the weather's nice, and race in the fall before it turns ugly again. It'd be very tough to train for a spring IM race living in the Midwest and expect to have a good one - and I don't have enough time or cash to travel halfway across the world 'just to finish'. Not to mention the huge advantage of being able to train on the course in Madison - ride that course once, and you'll know what I mean. There are definitely other IM and non-iron-distance races around the world that I'd love to do (someday), but there are also a ton of great races within driving distance. When I do get around to travelling to an international race, rest assured that I'll be sporting the Stars n' Stripes on my kit and I'll do my best to represent my country in a way that'd make ya proud.
Quote Reply
Re: New Editorial: Travelling as an athlete. [chris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Litespeed Blade review is done and ready to post.

The bottom line is time. when the store is full of customers I simply cannot tell a customer, "I can't wait on you because I have to leave to post a web review."

That is unacceptable to them.

85% of my day is spent responding to e-mail, talking to customers on the phone, waiting on customers on the floor, and I am still farther and farther behind by the end of the day.

That's why there are delays.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nicely done....

As a parent one aspect of your piece rings especially true. I feel that among the countless thousands of responsibilities my wife and I share regarding the up-bringing of our children, one of the most important is this: We are extremely fortunate to be citizens of the U.S.; however, there are other, MANY other ways of life on our planet...some much different than ours. Different, not necessarily better, not necessarily worse, just different - and each certainly deserving of our respect.

Thanks, I enjoyed reading.....
Quote Reply
Re: New Editorial: Travelling as an athlete. [tryemdad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And thank you for reading. I appreciate it very much.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Enjoyed the editorial and agree with it 100%. Also think that the philosophy goes way beyond just being an athlete and competing. My wife and I both have traveled a lot and steered our daughters towards getting out and seeing the world. Now they are putting us to shame (and making me jealous). Proudly they have turned into great ambassadors.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
C'mon Tom- A person who pays his mortgage & goes to work is self absorbed...???

How about "Self-Absorbed Tribe" t-shirts!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A thoughtful and well-written piece. You express yourself very well, not only in your editorials, but in your posts, too.

I rarely travel distances with the kids, especially if a plane is involved - the hassle factor, you know. Though they are good kids there are issues: the logistics, the expense, they argue with each other, they don't like "strange" food, they have been known to complain, etc. It can be stressful. Hell, it IS stressful. You raise good points for taking them along despite that, though. You've given me food for thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If traveling overseas -- you may need this....

http://www.t-shirtking.com/...3d63aec6edc737716839

OK -- just joking.

Great article Tom - I love traveling and triathlon is a great reason.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Tom, nice piece. As Mike said "I've seen some behavior from Americans while visiting other countries that I found extremely embarassing" I'm sure we have all been party to those occasions, as well as those where we have been embarrassed by French, German and even English groups that cast their nationalities under a shadow, but I seek to treat people on their behaviour to me. The old-fashioned judge people as you find them and do unto others as you would have them do unto you. I enjoyed your editorial and smiled wryly to myself as I recalled a few situations I was reminded of in Austria, when some Texans were leaving the hotel, big in stature as well as voice would be the polite way to put it. But, they were well mannered and pleasant and harming no one, as you put it ambassadors for their country. Good on them and on you.

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very nicely done...

I've been meaning to mention this, but it doesn't appear that your "Bar Wars" article is linked anywhere on your site....which is an excellent piece.

http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/reviews/barwars.shtml
Quote Reply
Re: New Editorial: Travelling as an athlete. [Smitty8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, we archived it in the reviews section. It's called "2003 integrated aerobars" or something like that.

Here it is: it needs an update....

http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/reviews/barwars.shtml

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done races in Windsor. Does that count? =)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"You’re right, I’m not a parent and likely never will be. But if I were one, I would put traveling with my kids and showing them the world pretty high on my list of values."

Tom - You're really missing out on something here. I think you're around my age. Sure, to have a family, it woud remove your freedom to train and compete as you please. Maybe even complicate your work schedule. The joy my wife and I get from watching our kid's compete (and no, we are not fulfilling our dreams though them) is something undescribable.

When your kid's get older, there is time to get back into the game of training and competing. My eldest is finally old enough to bike with me and she runs occasionally with me too. The 2 oldest have even done the Kiwanis kids tri and done quite well.

Anyway, when you're 75 and in your rocker remembering the good old days, you just may regret not having kids.

Please don't take this the wrong way, kids are not for everyone. I am not trying to be critical, I just want to point out it is not too late for you. By the way, my oldest has also been to 6 continents - so you are right on point regarding the travel.
Quote Reply
Re: New Editorial: Travelling as an athlete. [Hook'em] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Again, great article.

I think you are missing some of the details on the American Gymnast. The S. Korean actually should have had some deductions in his routine (on the high bar?), which would have moved him to behind the American. I forget the specific details. But you need to research this more in fairness to Paul Hamm before you write about hiom.

So the point is when you airchair quarterback, it needs to be for all athletes in that particular competition.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two good points, I appreciate them.

Firstly, kids and family:

Well, I agree with you. I often fear that when I get past the point where I could raise a family that I will regret not having done so.

The one thing that strikes me about this is the two aspects of deciding to start a family: The personal one and the one that is attributed to the people who are and become your family. Realistically, I would like to have a wife, a family, all that stuff. But would they like to have me? Would I be able to spend enough time with my kids and give them the parenting they really need in this world? I don't know for sure, but given my experiences with long term relationships I clearly lack something- some knowldege, talent, insight, temeperment, wisdom or resource- to be able to make it really work.

I see my friends around me who do make it work, and I think they have greater temperance and a less intense character than I. They are more moderate, patient and tolerant. I'm not like that. You can't keep a hyena as a dog. Dogs are easily domesticated, hyenas are not. I think I am difficult to domesticate. It wouldn;t be fair to involve another person. So, I have and love my cats- which is not nearly as empty as it may sound to you, and I have a wealth of great friends and co-workers. So I have that. As for what I'll have when I'm 75, well, I'm too busy worrying about today to be concerned with that at the moment.

But yeah, you're probably right about that. I do enjoy taking care of animals though, and seem to have an odd propensity for it.

Second, you;re also right about the Paul Hamm affair. My comments were based entirely on my exposure to the controversy in the network TV coverage of the Olympics, so admittedly, that is the extend of my exposure to the circumstances.

But this is my defense or argument: The preponderance of the audience experienced the controvery the way I did, rather superficially and sensationally on TV. As a result, I'll suggest my perception is likely similar to the consensus perception.

Facts be what they may- there was an enormous opportunity to handle the affair in a different way that would have smacked of kindness, grace and sportmanship. That opportunity was ephemeral and has expired. I think a more calculating athlete may have looked at the spirit and "karma" of the situation as well as the potential political capitol and simply handed the medal over, then asserted that is was the just thing to do in the Olympic spirit. I wager such a sentiment would have had the opposite effect as the course Paul Hamm took- he would have been revered as a fine sportsman rahter than a pouty faced, whiney spoil sport. And in that, however contrived and glossy and manufactured such pagentry may seem, it would have been a lesson taught well to generations of future gymnasts, athletes and Olympians: That victory isn't always the best outcome. So that was what I was trying to convey.

Your point about my research is right though. Realistically, I didn;t even do a Google search on the developments in the affair. I only knew that there was an affair.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hope those two posts weren't too personnal. At least it looks like you took no offense, and no offense was intended.

It's never too late to have kids - look at Tony Randell (okay, you can't look at him because he's now dead so bad example). I think he fathered a child in his 70's. I also had a co-worker who became a father at age 52. My Brother in law had his first at age 39 and last at 45.

Anyway, kids are a change, but a change for the better. It's funny how you can feel like you know people from reading their posts. And there is certainly a sensitive, well-caring side to you. I'm sure you would make a great dad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No Sir, absolutely no offense taken. I appreciate your insights.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just wanted to say I enjoyed that and I think its great that you took the time to write it. Thanks.

------------------------------------------------------------

"He broke into the long easy lope, and went on, hour after hour, never at loss for the tangled way, heading straight home through strange country with a certitude of direction that put man and his magnetic needle to shame."

-Call of the Wild
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome article. It definetly brings forth the positive side of racing and travelling abroad.

I think what most people do not get is that Americans are not hated all over the world (although our govt. may be). We may be hated by the media all over the world, but not by the people there. It would help if the media would stop only showing flag burning crazy people and talk about something good once in a while, but I digress.

I travelled to Kosova to do relief work after the war and the people there were very pro-America, and at that time, pro-Clinton. We were treated very warmly and had a great time. It was a life changing trip on many levels. The one thing that struck me was that most of the people had nothing material to speak of, but were all very happy and warm. Many of these people spoke of being tortured and having relatives killed right in front of them by some of the cruelest methods. Yet, they all were grateful for what they still had and were remarkably positive. I like to think our crew spread some love and the true spirit of America to people in need on that trip.

On the contrary, here in the US and I would say most developed nations now, many people have "everything" (and are nowhere near being tortured) yet are so cold and unhappy it seems. If only they knew how life is in other places.

In the end people are just people, everywhere. We all breathe, eat, poop, and need to feel loved.

On the racing side I've done worlds' in Austria, Denmark, and Sweden which were all great trips. They also had the best fan support of any race I've done, IM included.
Quote Reply