Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New Chain Ring and Rear Cassette
Quote | Reply
I was just told that I my chain, chain ring, and rear cassette need to be replace due to wear. Fine. As a triathlete (no sprint finishes) do I need to worry about the quality of these items??

I have a Cannondale Slice Hi-Mod which came with FSS chain ring and cassette and some various SRAM parts as part of the drive train. Also, I am probably going to switch to shorter crank arms while I am getting everything replaced. Any suggestions/recommendation as to what brand/model parts would be best and/or most wallet friendly??

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Quote Reply
Re: New Chain Ring and Rear Cassette [toastygloveman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All of this depends on how old your stuff is, how it got worn out, and what type BB and other components you have.

I generally aim for annual chain replacement (3K - 5K miles per chain). In my experience, if you keep your chain in good shape, then the cassette and chainrings will last a zillion miles. So, if yours are truly worn out, did you let your chain go a really long time and do you live in a harsh environment with sand in the air, like a beach?

If they are worn out, then I like some of FSA's cranksets for value and performance. Their Gossamer is a very good all-around performer that is reasonably wallet friendly. The FSA Omega is a turd, so avoid it. For a small step up, the Vision Trimax crankset is decently light and aero. I bought all of my cranks used for about 1/2 original cost. If you are patient, you can get a SRAM Red 22 is nearly new condition for around $200. Used Dura Ace cranks are a little more.

There are a million opinions on chains. I have used Dura Ace chains with great results. For my current builds, I am changing to Premier's Ultimate chain on one bike and a Red 22 chain on the road bike. One key to a good chain and good lube is that it reduces a lot of drag (free speed).

Cassette: just get the mid-grade of whatever componentry you have. If SRAM, then the PG-1170. If Shimano, then Ultagra.
Quote Reply
Re: New Chain Ring and Rear Cassette [toastygloveman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tend to use Ultegra/Force cassettes and chains on my Shimano/SRAM bikes and Chorus on my Campy bikes. I think 105/Rival level cassettes are just fine.

I tend to get about 3000 miles out of Shimano chains. 10-20% more for Campy. I change cassettes with every 2nd chain. Overkill on the cassette, maybe, but don't have skipping problems that way. But I know folks that replace their chain and cassette every 10,000 miles and don't have skipping problems, either.

I've never changed chainrings due to wear. I've either bought a new group or sold the bike. I currently have 1 set of chainrings that has more than 20,000 miles on them. So, unless your chain is long overdue for replacement and wore the rings, or your rings have huge miles on them, I'd want a little more explanation about the rings from the shop.

Finally, with Shimano, the rings can be almost as expensive as the entire crankset. For Ultegra 6800, the rings run about $140 and you can get the crankset for about $170. The 105 5800 crankset can be found for about $130.

hth
Last edited by: FatandSlow: Feb 12, 18 12:22
Quote Reply
Re: New Chain Ring and Rear Cassette [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the information and advice! I feel like there are not too many used 165mm cranksets because shorting your crank arm is a relatively new trend. So, I might have to pony up for a new one, but i'll steer clear of the Omega...
Quote Reply