Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Never, ever take biking for granted...
Quote | Reply
Hi gang!

I'm just returning to my passion for biking after almost 10 years of being sidelined through no fault of my own...

In 1995, I was an 185 lb fairly serious bike rider... I could rip off 50-miles at over 20 miles an hour... Not bad for being over 40 years old. It gave me a great sense of victory over my devastating divorce of 1993... Every mile I pedaled moved me forward and gave me a great sense of victory...

Unfortunately, I contracted a rare hormonal disorder (pituitary failure) that trashed my body until I reached 330 lbs last year...

For years my doctors suggested I have surgery to address the severe obesity... My consistent response was "Just get me well enough to get back on my bike..."

Last November, I walked into my local Trek bike store and bought a hybrid... That made it so I could just ride around the block...

I now weigh 203 lbs and ride about 120 miles a week...

I've finally got a handle on my illness and plan on doing a 100-mile ride Oct. 2... I'm also competing in time-trials and couldn't be more grateful...

I suppose my point here is to just make the most of your ability to participate... For sure, do your best! But at the same time be grateful and maybe even giddy that you're able to even be a part of something so unique and so special...

Jim
Quote Reply
Re: Never, ever take biking for granted... [jshelton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Way to go for getting a handle on things, its easy to let it slip away and just say "oh well, the disease is working into my body" Keep up the good work and keep riding buddy.

Billy

Nine out of Ten Scientists agree that
Out of Ten Scientists
One will disagree with the other Nine
Quote Reply
Re: Never, ever take biking for granted... [jshelton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I got out of the hospital with predictions from my doctor of dire consequences if I exercised too much spinning in my head, I did the only reasonable thing I could do. I gave my beautiful Spectrum custom bike to a deserving junior rider, gave my track bike to a friend, and gave my everyday road bike to a bike shop to forward to some kid who couldn't afford a bike. After three years I bought a road bike, nothing fancy, just a ride. I rode it every now and then for a few minutes but not much more. When I found a cardiologist that was more "permissive" I started to ride again. The long period of time, it was now more than ten years, left me huffing and puffing just pumping up the tires much less climbing hills. While I enjoy racing again, there are few things in life that I enjoy more than just riding through the country, or the city for that matter, and looking around. I'm just so happy be riding that at times how fast, what costume I'm wearing, and what bike I'm aboard, melts away and I'm just having fun.

By the way, some of my experience, while in some ways parallel to yours, is quite different. I got out of the hospital at all of 109 lbs!

Who knows? If you ride far enough East, and I ride far enough West, maybe I'll see you as you pass me on the road!

Lou Battaglia

Why didn't I retire last year?
Quote Reply