Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Need some advice transitioning from 70.3 to Oly distance for speed
Quote | Reply
Just finished Kansas legend 70 which completely demoralized me due to heat but I survived it and am now focusing on my future oly distance races several local and the age group nats in Aug. Can anyone help with training suggestions to help with improving speed? I was planning on adding one speed interval workout per week on run and more race pace intervals for swim and bike and also keeping one long run 10 mi and bike per week 2 hrs. Thanks for any help.
Quote Reply
Re: Need some advice transitioning from 70.3 to Oly distance for speed [1xatbandcamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1xatbandcamp wrote:
Just finished Kansas legend 70 which completely demoralized me due to heat but I survived it and am now focusing on my future oly distance races several local and the age group nats in Aug. Can anyone help with training suggestions to help with improving speed? I was planning on adding one speed interval workout per week on run and more race pace intervals for swim and bike and also keeping one long run 10 mi and bike per week 2 hrs. Thanks for any help.

What I have done for years is just do lots of short race stuff. This is my interval speed work. Most other training is just LSD to build strength and endurance and stay healthy for race day.
I already have like 6 tri races under my belts and maybe 6 plus more to go by the end of Sept.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Need some advice transitioning from 70.3 to Oly distance for speed [1xatbandcamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, what you mean by speed? Did you run or capable of running sub 1:40 in your half? Looking to go 35 10K in Oly? How old? Makes a difference if you are running a 1:30 half or 2hr
Quote Reply
Re: Need some advice transitioning from 70.3 to Oly distance for speed [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M48 yrs old. I ran an open 1:46 in May in cooler conditions (mid 70's). My most recent HIM run was 2:33, obviously a run/walk I blame on the 97 deg heat index. I really thought my fitness was going to allow me to run under 2 hr which was my goal but the temps killed me. My legs felt good off the bike but my pulse was higher than planned and historically the heat has slowed me greatly. We've had virtually no warm weather to speak of in Nebraska to train in up until the race. Last year at Ag nats I did a 2:37 oly with a 50 min run after a 2:08ish bike. I'd like to knock a few mins off both of those.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At 48, .I.would go with 2 x 2 miles. Than go to the track. Throw in tempo with your longer run
Quote Reply
Re: Need some advice transitioning from 70.3 to Oly distance for speed [runner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes sorry 1:08 ish on the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Need some advice transitioning from 70.3 to Oly distance for speed [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Kenney can you elaborate a little on the 2x2 and tempo on the long runs?
Quote Reply
Re: Need some advice transitioning from 70.3 to Oly distance for speed [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
1xatbandcamp wrote:

What I have done for years is just do lots of short race stuff. This is my interval speed work. Most other training is just LSD to build strength and endurance and stay healthy for race day.
I already have like 6 tri races under my belts and maybe 6 plus more to go by the end of Sept.

Don't forget about the 20% of your run mileage that is at race pace, plus your races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In terms of the actual definition of 'speed' you don't need any. Your limiter is your aerobic engine.

Swim: Mileage and intensity are both key. Short rest 100m repeats, some longer race pace 200-400m stuff as well. Keep it simple e.g. 20/30 x 100m on a cycle that gives you 5-10s rest.

Bike: 2hrs is really not long enough for a long ride. Build it to three. In terms of intervals, the classic 2x20 at Threshold is a good one. Find some long hills and ride up them hard too. There's also a spot for 5x4min repeats at V02 (above race pace).

Run: Consistent EASY! aerobic mileage. 90% of our runs at my squad are slower than 5min/k pace (8mins a mile very roughly pace). These are guys who (not me) can run a low to mid 14min 5k. Work on consistent mileage over 5-6 days a week, and once you've got a decent base, then build in some intensity. Start easy, like 1min race pace, 1 min jog a few times through. Then work up to 1k reps at race pace. You don't need to go any faster as there are few benefits but a lot of risks involved. 2.5hrs for an event is an endurance, not speed event. Remember that.

Good luck

Quote | Reply
Willrc91 wrote:
In terms of the actual definition of 'speed' you don't need any. Your limiter is your aerobic engine.

Swim: Mileage and intensity are both key. Short rest 100m repeats, some longer race pace 200-400m stuff as well. Keep it simple e.g. 20/30 x 100m on a cycle that gives you 5-10s rest.

Bike: 2hrs is really not long enough for a long ride. Build it to three. In terms of intervals, the classic 2x20 at Threshold is a good one. Find some long hills and ride up them hard too. There's also a spot for 5x4min repeats at V02 (above race pace).

Run: Consistent EASY! aerobic mileage. 90% of our runs at my squad are slower than 5min/k pace (8mins a mile very roughly pace). These are guys who (not me) can run a low to mid 14min 5k. Work on consistent mileage over 5-6 days a week, and once you've got a decent base, then build in some intensity. Start easy, like 1min race pace, 1 min jog a few times through. Then work up to 1k reps at race pace. You don't need to go any faster as there are few benefits but a lot of risks involved. 2.5hrs for an event is an endurance, not speed event. Remember that.

Good luck

I love the consistent EASY for 90% of the runs! My LSD stuff.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am in my 50's now and this was the run advice I got a few years ago. My buddy and his wife (him a college coach and she held a lot of records in Montana). It worked for me. Know some on here will disagree. The one guys advice is great, "if" you have 6 days a week you can run.
1 mile easy warm /up. 2 miles pretty hard. Easy jog (half mile to mile) 2 miles hard, half mile at least easy cool down to mile
2 mlile warm up, anywhere from 2-4 mile tempo, (under 10k, uncomfortable) mile cool down. can be slightly uncomfortable.
Then as you said, 10 miler.
At our age the risk reward of hard intervals is not worth it when running 10 k and up. They swore that by doing the two mile repeats the were not losing anytime compared to doing intervals.
On three runs that would be max 25. Of course if you can run more days, run the rest easy. This was my basic template for sprint and Olys
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone. I'll be employing these methods for the remainder of the season and hopefully set some new PR's. I feel really good about my training and volume up to this point so maintaining it and building a little more speed and staying healthy will be my priorities. Thanks again.
Quote Reply