Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Need new headset for '06 Cervelo Dual...
Quote | Reply
I've been riding the rollers all Winter, which doesn't require much in the way of steering input. But, now that it's getting nice(r) out, I noticed that the bars have a "detent" at the straight steering position. They turn fine everywhere else, but get "hung up" at straight. So, I have a few questions...

1. From the above, would you agree that it's time for a new headset? Or, is there something else I should check? I took it all apart, and the bearings seem to turn against one another just fine. But, obviously, this is not under load. I did notice that the top bearing requires more effort to turn than the bottom bearing, though. Makes sense, if it's sweat contamination that is the cause of the problem.

Assuming it is time for a new headset...

2. What, specifically, do I need? Like I said, it's a 2006 Cervelo Dual with the stock 1" headset. The top cap says "FSA IS2". So, I assume it's an IS standard headset. Any specific recommendations for a replacement? I don't need anything fancy. But, I do need something with a low stack top cap. (The current one is 5mm, I believe.)

3. What tools (if any) am I going to need to replace the headset? And, since I've (obviously) never done this... Can anyone link me to a good tutorial with pics?

Thanks.

Steve

"If you ain't first, you're last." Reese Bobby Talladega Nights
Quote Reply
Re: Need new headset for '06 Cervelo Dual... [The_Mickstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.bikepartsplace.com/...ameter-steerer-tube/

here you go. they're pretty hard to find these days as everyone uses 1 1/8 inch and I haven't figured out how to exclude them on google!

headset fitting is not super easy and it may be worth paying an LBS if you have a good one. If you're committed then for an integrated headset like this I don't believe you really need any tools - you can just press the two bearings into the frame and feed the steerer through. Myunderstanding is that only non-integrated headsets really need a headset press though you may want to wait till you have a few more answers to make sure :)

"Are you sure we're going fast enough?" - Emil Zatopek
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can buy direct from cane creek.

http://www.canecreek.com/...sCC&product=IS-2

I haven't ever installed an IS headseat myself. I had thought that it was easier to install than a more traditional threadless headset (which I have installed). I don't think that you have to press any cups into the frame. I may be mistaken and there may be some information on the cane creek tech site.

http://www.canecreek.com/tech-headsets
or on parktool.com

if you do go ahead with this, let us know how difficult a job it really is.
Last edited by: beston: Mar 27, 10 14:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ahhh....Index Steering. It is sort of common to get brinelling of the rear of the lower race when the load is on such a constant position (such as rolllers with a form mount). All you probably need to do is replace the cart bearings in the HS and you should be set. I really really doubt that the static load did anything to put your headtube 'race' (as it would be) out of round. You should have no issue getting the bearing from many sites at a much lower cost than that of an LBS. Just take out the bearings and check for the numbers on the side - for instance I know off the top of my head that a rollerblade bearing is a 608Z...if you Google 608Z you get many options and levels of quality of bearings from sources from K2 (skates) to Bearing Distributors and Motion Industries.

There is no need at all for ceramic or even ABEC7/5 in the headset as it has mostly a static load as opposed to a rotational stress as you would see in the wheels and BB.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Make sure you can get the old hs out of the frame. My hs is "set" in my 05 dual (probably from too much sweat). My lbs has told me NOT to replace it in fear of frame damage. We did repack the bearings on the one cup that was servicable. A press in nice to have.

Well I believe in God, and the only thing that scares me is Keyser Soze
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
r10c has the answer - the IS headset has cartridge bearings that drop into the frame itself, so just replacing the bearings should fix it. No special tools required. See the Cane Creek video on the links above, for maintaining the headset, it illustrates how it all goes together.

the downside of an IS integrated headset, is that if replacing the bearings doesn't fix it, there is no easy/cheap solution as that means the frame itself is damaged. However that is quite rare.
Quote Reply
Re: Need new headset for '06 Cervelo Dual... [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or for an even cheaper solution, just buy new bearings from cane creek for $18. http://store.canecreek.com/...69.496.56212.56294.0?. If you do decide to go with a completely new headset the only thing that you'll need a shop to do is set the fork crown race. Once thats on the rest is a matter of stacking the bearings and the top cap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I just ordered up the nex chris king internal headset, I cant wait to check it out!!!

Quote Reply
Re: Need new headset for '06 Cervelo Dual... [IRONwolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bumping this thread because I am in this same boat with my '05 Dual and want to replace the headset bearings. What is available?
Quote Reply
Re: Need new headset for '06 Cervelo Dual... [JesseN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
^ did you ever find a replacement? I'm now in the same dilemma.
Quote Reply
Re: Need new headset for '06 Cervelo Dual... [Yeti racer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, used a Cane Creek 40-series IS 38. They made the OEM headset. I emailed their tech support and they were able to point me in the right direction. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Need new headset for '06 Cervelo Dual... [JesseN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JesseN wrote:
Yes, used a Cane Creek 40-series IS 38. They made the OEM headset. I emailed their tech support and they were able to point me in the right direction. Good luck!

Thanks but let's say I want to order the replacement bearings only. Do I just get the CC 40 series 38mm 26 black oxide pair? I saw some on eBay.
Last edited by: Yeti racer: Mar 10, 17 11:49
Quote Reply
Re: Need new headset for '06 Cervelo Dual... [Yeti racer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd email Cane Creek on that directly to confirm it's the proper part number, but that looks to be the correct set from what I can tell. They don't list all the bearing specs in each place so I can't be sure.
Quote Reply