Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Need help w/running shoes
Quote | Reply
I'm a heavy guy (6'2" / 208 lbs.) and I need some new running shoes.

Question 1: what running shoes do the heavier guys recommend?

Next, I get serious pain in the ball of my foot at about mile 4, religiously.

Question 2: Any similar experience or recommendations?

PS - I've tried 3 pair of custom orthotics, with limited (ie. no) success. I've also had my stride analyzed, and I'm neutral. Thanks.
Last edited by: samiam: May 28, 07 19:11
Quote Reply
Re: Need help w/running shoes [samiam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I work at a running store. My advice would be to go to a specialized running store and try on as many shoes as they have in your size. Bring your orthotics with you and listen to the advice of the people working at the store. Many running stores have a policy that allows you to return purchased shoes as long as they have not been worn outside. Do this. Get them on a treadmill for a solid 20-40 minute run and see how your feet warm up to them. repeat if necessary.

Buy your shoes at the end of the day when your feet have reached their full swollen size. Don't forget to bring an old pair of shoes as well as a pair of socks similar to what you run with. Go when you have time to spend a solid 30 minutes in the store, not during your lunch break.

mention anything about the appearance or color of the shoes and face the wrath of the the gods.

good luck.

Quote | Reply
Ditto. Get to a real running store not a Dicks or Foot Locker. They should have a treadmill or a long sidewalk that you can run on and they can study you. They should also have you take off you shoes and socks and look at your feet. I am a big guy 220 and have a neutral footstrike. I really like the Brooks Radius for one set of my shoes and Asics Gel Nimbus for my other pair. You may not be neutral so these recommendations have to be taken with a grain of salt
Quote Reply
Re: Need help w/running shoes [mtlRunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks mtlRunner.

I've tried the approach you mentioned, that is how I was turned on to my current Asics. The challenge is...usually specialized running stores do not have complete line of brands and models (which I know is impossible).

What really stinks though - so far no matter what shoe I have, when I talk to other people about my foot problem inevitably someone says, "oh, you should have tried Reebok" or "oh, you should try Saucony" or whatever different than what I'm wearing...I'm sure you get my point.

Anyway I am also hoping to learn more about the latest in terms of "big runner" shoe satisfaction.

I'll try your strategy again, and I also appreciated your "looks and color comment"...too funny! I certainly don't need any more negative running karma...
Quote Reply
Re: Need help w/running shoes [samiam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not as big as you, but when I was a bit bigger than I am now, I really appreciated the extra cushion in the Asics Nimbus vs. everything else I tried. Still love them for long runs... never got as comfy in any other Asics model, although I might try some again soon. They felt good at 185, and I've got tons of orthopedic problems, so I'd know in a moment if they couldn't cut it.
Quote Reply