Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Need advice! mountain brakes
Quote | Reply
Could someone tell me how I can go about making a Giant Boulder SE 2005 into a bike that has disc brakes. I am an Ironman that is trying something new this winter and am doing alot of trail riding. The area I live in is very mountainous and I am up and down all the time when I ride. I go through alot of brake pads so I want to go to disc brakes for better control. My budget is small so I can't buy another bike. Thanks for the help!

http://richardboscher.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Need advice! mountain brakes [Cervelop3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have disc hubs? If your bike came with pads, and you're using the original wheels, probably not. Then you'll need to buy a new wheelset and brakes. For that price, you can get a pretty sweet-ass used mtb with discs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Maybe I should put something nice here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I am not mistaken, there are no braze-ons on this frame to support disc brakes. I could be wrong there though. I would also agree with the other post as to getting a used or even new bike with the brakes, as you probably are not set up with hubs for the rotors. Gets expensive fast to add on.

Scott McNamee
Cranks Bicycle Shoppe
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
like they said, you need two things to add on disk brakes:

-frame and fork must have disk tabs, they will be currently unused two hole mounts on the lower left fork leg and on the top of the left chainstay on the axle end of it.

-you'll definitely need new hubs and possibly wheel lacing as the disk rotors only bolt to disk hubs...

yeah, it might be cheaper just to sell that bike and get a new bike...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you only have disc mounts on the front fork, then you will only need a new front wheel, a mechanical rotor/brake and you're done. The front has roughly 70% of the stopping power, so this is the best one to do if you're on a budget. I did this with my old MTB and I wouldn't say I gained much when I went double-disc. Probably lock up my rear wheel more than I did before with disc front and V-rear. Highly recommend the Avid mechanical, although there are other good ones out there. Should be able to do this for ~$200 (wheel/brake).

Of course if you need a new fork for disc mounts....
Quote Reply
Re: Need advice! mountain brakes [EWH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have mounts on my forks but I don't see any mounts on my wheel. Where could I get cheap wheels that have the mounts? I already bought XT dual control shift/hydraulic brake pods so I need what ever to complete the system!

http://richardboscher.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You may have put the cart in front of the horse getting the hydro brakes and shifters before checking out your frame!

You can do something like this http://www.jensonusa.com/...etrack+Wheelset.aspx

or others at Jenson or Performance bike. Sounds like you just need wheels, or did you only buy the bar shifters/brake levers and not the actual brakes/rotors? In that case you will need to either return your stuff and use your current brakes/shifters (I would recommend) or buy the Shimano hydro brakes and wheels. You will also need to deal with whether or not the rotors are 6-bolt style or Shimano screw-on type. THere is an adapter if needed.
Quote Reply