Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Need Some Profile Design Parts and Advice
Quote | Reply
Looking for some help from the ST community.

Those black figure 8 shaped washers for raising the pads on Profile aerobar pads. Does anyone know where to get them? I know they exist but they aren't on Profile's website. How high do they come? I want to mount my extensions below the basebar so need about an inch or so to get the pads up above the basebar. If I had longer bolts would it be ok to stack two shorter ones on top of each other?

Also, the Carbon X pad lowering part. These have been talked about a million times. Will they ever come out? If you happen to be one of the lucky ones who have one, would you sell it to me? Please? This is for another setup, thanks.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Need Some Profile Design Parts and Advice [SwBkRn44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just shoot PD an email on their customer service link and let them knwo what you need. I have found that they are a great company and might even send you the little parts for free (but don't quot me on that).

I'm not sure, but I thought that the other part you are asking about is custom made by the users. Do a search and see if you can find out though.

This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight Club
Industry Brat.
Quote Reply
Re: Need Some Profile Design Parts and Advice [bigskyTi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's not custom, just really rare. I know a few people on here have scored them from Profile at an expo or through knowing a pro or something. I don't have those connections so am hoping to find someone who got some but doesn't need them anymore.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would second what bigskytri said. I had a bolt break that I couldn''t find anywhere. I spoke with three differnt bike shops, and three different hardware shops and no-one could come up with the bolt. So I e-mailed customer service at Profile Design, and within five days four brand new bolts and washers showed up. I work in retail, and the companies know all too well that it is in their best interest to work with customers, former, present, and future to make sure they are satisfied. Satisfied customers know companies stand behind thier product leading to continued realtionships and new customres through recommendations.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you can't get the risers from Profile, let me know - I'm fairly certain I have some.

Also, why worry about the lowering part? Just bolt the pads directly to the bar, that's what I did.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi - you will need to get longer metric screws. I believe they are 6mm x 1.0. www.boltdepot.com is where I picked them up. I am using a Carbon X basebar w/ the T2+ extensions. On the extension I am using two figure eight spacers. You can get them from Profile, All3Sports, Trisports.com and possibly R&A. The pads sit right above the base bar and it works great. Check out this thread on Jordan Rapp's bike - http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=817590;
Essentially he has done the same thing. Also - Nytro and Profile both state the mod for mounting the pads directly to the bar is coming - soon. PM me if you have any more questions.

~~~

- Matt

Quote Reply
Re: Need Some Profile Design Parts and Advice [mjshapiro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am actually modifying 2 seperate sets of bars here. My brother has the Carbon Xs (my old ones actually) and is looking to mount the pads right to the base bar ala Normann Stadler with the "supposed to be coming soon" adaptor piece.

I am reworking my front end setup. Have T2+Cobras on order as well as the Cobra Wing base bar. Need to see the stuff but am hoping to do a below the bar mount with the extensions. Basically I just spin the brakcets around 180 degrees so now the bar holes are below the base bar as opposed to above the base bar correct? And the longer screws you mentioned, I need those to attach the pads to the pad holders through the figure eight spacers right? Or are you talking about something else? You said you are using 2 figure eight spacers, do you mean 2 stacked on top of each other on each side? Does a 6mm screw get through the pad holder, both spacers and into the bracket?

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Correct - the screws attache to the brackets you mount the pads on. Yes - two spacers stacked on top. I think 6mm is the diameter and the length will need to be 50 or 60mm. If the bolts are too long they can be cut. FWIW - I tried the same set-up you are attempting with the Cobra wing and found it to be uncomfortable because extension bars mount low and put an extreme angle on your wrist. Hence, that is why I moved back to my Carbon X set-up.

~~~

- Matt

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've said this before, I think it was in a thread about the regular T2+ bars that Sergio mounted this way for his kid.
I tried this modification (actually I just mounted the pads on the flat section of my T2 Wing, with the extensions under), and only rode it for maybe 200 miles before deciding that I was going at the problem from the wrong direction. The additional drop at the elbows was what I was looking for, but what I ended up with was too much drop at the wrist area, causing major fatigue and pain issues on anything but the shortest rides on the smoothest roads. I found my additional drop by mounting the T2's normally (but very narrow) on top of the base bar and using an adjustable stem. MUCH easier to work with, and no issues with my wrists at that angle. It may work for you...and it also may not, so be prepared to work at it for awhile.

Starting with the Carbon-X is a totally different situation though. You can definitely do that modification and get away with it (as we've seen several pros do it), because the extension isn't sitting down quite so love (I measured nearly an inch difference between where it would mount on the Carbon-X and where it would mount under a regular T2 Wing)

Chris
Quote Reply
Re: Need Some Profile Design Parts and Advice [chicanery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Right - this is the exact conclusion I cam to and thus went back to the set-up using my Carbon X bars.

~~~

- Matt

Quote Reply
Re: Need Some Profile Design Parts and Advice [mjshapiro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the help, I though 6mm seemed way too short for the height. So yeah, the Carbon X thing is for my brother and will be solved once I can get that adaptor piece.

As for me, I am thinking the same thing, wondering if the Cobra Wing base bar being thicker than the Carbon X base bar might make this setup uncomfortable, is that what you are saying? Too flat of a wrist angle? I suppose mounting them on top could work just fine, I am sure I can get low enough taking out a spacer and using a flat stem.

Maybe I should just go with the aluminum wing base bar if I want to mount the extensions underneath? Not sure what to do.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That makes a ton of sense. Yeah, mounting them under the Carbon Xs is a lot more feasible because of the way they are grooved into that base bar.

I am kinding of thinking what you said without even seeing it, I would get some elbow drop, but too much wrist drop as well. I think I can get the drop I want playing with different stems and just using the bars they were meant to be used. Agree?

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Need Some Profile Design Parts and Advice [bigskyTi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Email PD - they are great!

Re: Carbon X lowering - Don't wait for the bracket...just do it the same way that you would with the extra "8" washer and bolt them to the extensions (underneath the basebar). That is how my are mounted...works great and you'll then have fore-aft adjustability. Thank to Jordan for that tip. I have some brackets, but prefer mounting to the exts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Exactly.

Playing with different stems sucks though. Just get an adjustible from speedgoat and then you won't be dealing with the bullshit of waiting to get a -17 rise to replace your current -12.

Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I might just spend a few hours at the shop with a pile of stems and take it from there. Thanks again.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I found it easier and to go to Home Depot, or your local hardware store and get the spacers and bolts from there. I just did it myself, to do the exact same thing you did, and it worked flawlessly. Go down the hardware aisle and find the drawer full of spacers (not washers, but spacers). I believe they come in 1 inch, .5 inch and a lot inbetween. They are plastic, but are just wide enough to allow the screw to go through smoothly. From there, find the corresponding bolts and make sure you get the right length (you'll probably need 2 inch bolts).
Quote Reply