Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Need Help Buying Compact Cranks
Quote | Reply
I'm looking to purchase some compact cranks and am wondering what you'd recommend. I'm looking for something that is a good value - I don't need the lightest or stiffest, just something that is a solid value.

I'm on a B16 that's a few years old and would be swapping the stock cranks.

Thanks for the input.
Quote Reply
Re: Need Help Buying Compact Cranks [drp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What bottom bracket standard does it use?
Quote Reply
Re: Need Help Buying Compact Cranks [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is what SuperDave said in a thread a couple years back. No specific recommendations were given in that thread though.

SuperDave: "The B16 uses a 68mm threaded bottom bracket shell. You need a crankset that uses a 68mm threaded bottom bracket. There are countless options."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll sell these for $100, brand new. 175mm. I bought a stash on sale a few years ago, and I'm still on my original set. >30k miles and still going strong.

They take an Octalink bottom bracket. The best one IMO is the DA 7700. It's light, rebuildable, and lasts forever. Used ones on ebay are fine if in good condition.

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/...-compact-drivetrain/

Last edited by: rruff: Sep 17, 14 10:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's on there now? If shimano, just go buy a 105 compact.

If Sram, get an Rival compact crank.

Good opportunity to mess with crank length too.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Need Help Buying Compact Cranks [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Best way to experiment with crank length would be BMX cranks with a square taper BB.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
Best way to experiment with crank length would be BMX cranks with a square taper BB.

Except you have to convert your BB to a square taper. You can buy and sell cheap 105 cranks as needed. Honestly, seems like most that go shorter like the change. I've yet to see a downside for doing Tri's where you need to run off the bike.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:
What's on there now? If shimano, just go buy a 105 compact.

If Sram, get an Rival compact crank.

Good opportunity to mess with crank length too.

+1. I'm a recent convert to the new 105 line. Spend the money you saved on a high performance bottom bracket or aero chainrings.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

-Stephen in Arkansas
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:

I have made a point to have the square taper BB on all my bikes and bike trainers. Do BMX cranks pretty much
use just the square taper. Never saw why folks went away from this.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But you can't get 105 cranks that are <165mm... and even that might be hard.
Quote Reply
Re: Need Help Buying Compact Cranks [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A lot of them do... and track style bikes also.

I wouldn't say that square taper is the greatest interface, and the spindles aren't that stiff in torque or bending... but a half decent BB will spin with less resistance than a lot of new stuff. I hate that we have so many BB permutations now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
A lot of them do... and track style bikes also.

I wouldn't say that square taper is the greatest interface, and the spindles aren't that stiff in torque or bending... but a half decent BB will spin with less resistance than a lot of new stuff. I hate that we have so many BB permutations now.

I was told a lot of mfgs were going back to the standard square taper BB. No idea if this true.

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Square taper and threaded shells? That would be ... surprising.

I'm curious about the cranks and BBs you are using... good used stuff, or new?

We seem to have diverted off topic, but what the hell... the OP isn't paying attention anyway.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
Square taper and threaded shells? That would be ... surprising.

I'm curious about the cranks and BBs you are using... good used stuff, or new?

We seem to have diverted off topic, but what the hell... the OP isn't paying attention anyway.

Still the same question for the OP since I am also looking at getting a set of newer CC. I changed my bottom bracket to
the ST BB to have all my bikes be the same.

I have been able to get new ST BB's when I needed. Sure hope this is still the case. Just nice being able to swap cranks
around on the like 10 various bikes I have in my garage.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But I'm wondering which cranks and BB specifically do you like? And don't you need a threaded BB? I didn't know any decent bikes were made with that anymore... except the Chinese ones of course.
Last edited by: rruff: Sep 17, 14 13:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
drp wrote:
I'm looking to purchase some compact cranks and am wondering what you'd recommend. I'm looking for something that is a good value - I don't need the lightest or stiffest, just something that is a solid value.

Thanks for the input.

Why compact?

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
But I'm wondering which cranks and BB specifically do you like? And don't you need a threaded BB? I didn't know any decent bikes were made with that anymore... except the Chinese ones of course.

Do not fully understand your question.

I have lots of various stuff that is Sq BB. I found an old triple Sq BB crankset that I am using as a double now since it was free.

What exactly does threaded BB mean?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Threaded BB shell. Most are pressed in bearings now.

I just wondered if there was a particular brand/model of crank or bottom bracket that you favor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
Threaded BB shell. Most are pressed in bearings now.

I just wondered if there was a particular brand/model of crank or bottom bracket that you favor.

Been a long time since I bought the BB I put into my bike. I do remember it was not easy to find like 8 years ago.

I have yet to buy a new crank, which is why I am interested in this thread.

If I buy a newer bike and already has compact cranks, like a Cervelo P2, then whatever it is I stay with.
If I build from scratch, would probably put a Sq BB on since I could then use my powercranks if I wanted to.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
drp wrote:

Thanks for the input.

If the OP or anyone else is looking for a 105 compact I've got a new black 172.5 50/34 I can sell. PM me if interested.
Quote Reply