Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

NYC to Dunmore PA
Quote | Reply
Hey folks,

I have a wedding I have to attend this weekend in Dunmore PA. Instead of scrapping my long ride I'm thinking about riding part of the trip from NYC. Any suggestions as to routes and where to start? I'd like to get at least 70-80 miles. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: NYC to Dunmore PA [hwangnyc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is a route I mapped out. If anyone has any experience with any of these routes it would be greatly appreciated!

https://connect.garmin.com/...9#.VWYUUZpWkL4.gmail
Last edited by: hwangnyc: May 27, 15 12:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Says page not found.

Are you coming in on I-80 to I-380 I assume? Looking to get the riding in in Jersey or in the Poconos? A few of the Pocono roads have disappearing shoulders and lanes (and lord knows I don't want to have a 'taking the lane' discussion)... and a few routes in the Poconos are currently closed for construction. Learned that the hard way coming back to Jersey from Scranton last weekend.

I talk to myself because mine are the only answers I'll accept - George Carlin
Quote Reply
Re: NYC to Dunmore PA [TriTJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I edited the URL, should be good now. Have a look and let me know what you think. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks good! End is pretty much the same as the one I sent you as well. That will be a little stop and start in East Stroudsburg but should be smooth sailing.... and it avoids Rte 314 near Pocono Manor, which is closed right now.

I talk to myself because mine are the only answers I'll accept - George Carlin
Quote Reply
Re: NYC to Dunmore PA [TriTJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since you know better than I do, your route or mine?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I drove from Mt. Pocono to Greentown today (both cities are on your map) and I live in the Poconos (if you see Masthope and Tusten to the right edge of the map, right there). Plenty of great riding near me, since it's the edge of the known universe.

The road from Mt. Pocono to Greentown didn't have a lot of traffic. I believe the speed limit is 40 for most of it. However, there isn't a shoulder for cycling. I think this is true for just about any road I can think of in the area.

Gouldsboro to Moscow should be pretty good for riding, in terms of car traffic. After that, you'll start to see more traffic as you get near Scranton-burg.

I think your best riding near where you'll be would be Marshall's Creek to north to Bushkill. That's a parkland area. No shoulder but the park police keep everyone to the posted speed limit (40...I have a ticket from there that "learned me."). You can basically ride from Marshall's Creek to Milford on that road. Also near Marshall's Creek is Shawnee Mountain, which has a very low travelled road near it that runs along the Delaware River (that road may have been used for one of the Ironman races during one of its iterations).

So, certainly be aware of traffic as they won't be aware of you and enjoy the ride!

Mark

Fast-Finishes.com
Triathlon and Running Race Timing
Athletic Event Management
Quote Reply