Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
My season is over
Quote | Reply
Just as I was peaking for Arizona 70.3 and I crashed going down him. 45 mph ejected through a barb wire fence and hedges. Best up bad, but my scapulae is fractured. Won't have mobility for 6 weeks. Biggest thing I fear is the time off and getting back. Anybody have an injury that completely stopped training for such a long time? What did you do?

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: My season is over [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sucks dude.
There are several threads on here like this one where the bike rode the rider.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...um.cgi?post=3850961;

Heal up quickly. Then just start getting back at it. That's about all you can do.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Sep 9, 15 15:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Heal fast and best of luck to you. I hope your injuries all heal well.

July 4 this year. Concussion and fractures in back and neck....done.

I did what I could. Lots of walking....my driveway is 300 meters long and I walked over 20 km per week....I was limitted to the drivaway because of mobility and the concussion.

I did water running. I looked like an idiot with a hard neck collar but it was good movement and do some research, is a fantastic fitness maintaining workout.

I could ride gently on the trainer sitting upright....

After 8 weeks of that I could start to swim carefully 300 m with a snorkel and could do easy jogging on the track....

I am getting physio now so anticipate being back at it all in about a month..... But walking a lot and water running has helped a but with fitness maintenance.
Last edited by: rhayden: Sep 9, 15 15:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear about the crash. (I love my bike trainer. :( I do IMLT 70.3 on the 20th and just am not riding outdoors )

When I broke my collar bone, I was out for a while. Took me a while to mentally let go, but once I did, and spent time with the wife, it was a nice break.

You will heal and be back stronger. The positive is you now can get new goals with the build back.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yep, its bollocks... but

with hindsight; heal slowly and thoroughly, finds goals to hit in other area's, and enjoy the time you have back out side of training... (aka life)...

strip and rebuild the bike, you finally have the time to do all the shitty jobs you were putting off....

and remember its only a sport.. ie its meant to be fun..

good luck with your recovery.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My gf got hit on a long ride last year in june... she took 55 stitches in arms and legs. She couldn't bend one of her legs for 2 months.

So, needless to say, she was was afraid a little coming back. It went slow. When she could swim, she swam. That was probably september. She worked on rehab, and i think her first 1.5 mile run was near october. She came back super slowly, focusing on her rehab. She made sure every workout she did was because she wanted to do it.

Watching from the sideline, the most important thing was to make sure she was having fun. It surely wasnt a time for her to push through any workout. We rode indoors together through february..and probably only started with her coach again in march or april.

She's PRed at every distance this season... and podiumed in her AG at nationals (she was always good, and has gotten all the way back).

Im sure there will be some tough days... but Im sure you'll be all the way back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rough, man. heal up. I fractured my scapula in a crit race two years ago. I did my best to prep for sprint tri nationals 8 weeks after the crash by resting up a 4ish weeks then getting going on the bike trainer as soon as I could lean over without pain. I used an arm sling and a bike inner tube to keep tight against my torso. Got in the pool around the same time too, just using an inner tube to keep my arm from moving. lots of kicking and single arm stroking. running came last. did a little bit of treadmill running using saran wrap to keep my arm from moving. it got really sweaty! all easy aerobic stuff but so much better than nothing. definitely wasnt a solid build up for the race but I was really happy to be there. most of all it got me really hungry for the next season, as Im sure you will be. good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That totally sucks!
I can totally relate as I was hit by a car last year pulling out of a gas station and pan caked it over the hood and landed on my back, fracturing my L5, bruised kidney, severely bruised scapula with some small tearing in my shoulder, concussion, and many bumps and bruises associated. I lost out on Idaho 70.3 which was only 2 weeks away as I knew I’d be out of the water for at least 4-6 weeks with the shoulder. Also completely destroyed my Trek SC9 and the frame and fork mount carbon disintegrated on impact. In my quest to get back to training for IM Canada which was a couple of months away, I started riding on the trainer just lightly after only a few days and within a week I was also jogging with bandages on and arm in a sling…..Looking back my thoughts are as follows: STUPID!!!
I ended up creating major glute imbalances while running and cycling with my back and hips as I was completely hobbling through runs like a spazz, ultimately ending my season and also missing out on IMC and any hope for Kona Q.
What I should have done and what I recommend:
Immediately tend to injury with all the best resources available: Dr’s, Physio etc…
Get some beers, sit yourself on the couch and drink them all in one sitting and feel sorry for yourself for 1 day. Then get over it and curb the excessive drinking.
Take the time to heal and don’t rush back. Triathlon will not miss you and it will still be there when you get back in a few weeks, having lost very little fitness and the part that was lost will return quicker than you think. Just get it in your head to relax and chill until you are healed.
Eat and sleep well, watch your diet and reduce the intake so you don’t turn into the Pillsbury Doughboy, this will just make you depressed.
Water run and/or Elliptical with legs only and a high RPM 90+, my coach recommended this to me and it works wonders in keeping your run form and cardio up… it looks lame and feels worse, but it works.
Take it easy and you’ll be back before you know it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow that sucks. Best of luck with your recovery.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes I can top it, how about a diagnosis that I probably should not be running at all. Osteoarthritis in the knee. You will be back, recover, rehab, resume.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bad luck on the crash. Hope you heal up full and fast.

As others have echoed, make sure to take all the time you need. Better to lose fitness and come back fully recovered than to half-ass your recovery and pay for it with pain and functional limitations down the road. You rarely hear, "I wish I came back quicker." But always hear, "I should have taken more time off."

Best,

"Just don’t abandon everything you’ve ever learned because of something someone said on the internet." - Eric McGinnis
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Enjoy the hell out of a new hobby for a little while. Drones seem fun.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bummer, sorry to hear that. I had an athlete I coach crash on a wet sandy corner this summer in June just before his A race--Vancouver 70.3. Grade 3 shoulder separation. Just one of those things you have to emotionally go through & "mourn"--you've worked hard & can seem all that work was wasted & bricks came tumbling down. That's the first step.

Next...rehab, (my athlete ended up getting surgery). Rehab will make or break the quality of the comeback. But you'll need to set a new goal first. It will drive you to that pursuit to come back better than before--motivation. To do that, you'll need to believe in yourself that you will & can come back. But must commit to it 100%. Take it a day at a time, don't rush it.

You will eventually emotionally move through this rough spot when you're ready. As the others have said, walk, hike, do something each day even if it is 30 min. a day. Whatever you can do to keep weight off so the comeback isn't so difficult when you're fully ready to resume training. Eat well so you don't get too chubby, maybe use this time to get other things done in life you've been putting off or quality time with family.

Finally, SMILE despite your misfortune, because you were lucky enough to wake up on this side of the grass today!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In 2014 I had a PE in April, crashed off my bike in July. Broke the entire left side of my body. My helmet saved my life. I had 2 shoulder surgeries in an 8 week span. In December of 2014, I had a brain tumor removed.
Yes, I've been stopped dead in my tracks.

Don't worry about triathlon. It'll still be here when you are ready to return.

Heal up. And I mean heal up. I'm a year away from my crash and I'm still dealing with hip problems.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Heal. And you'll find out what you can and can't do.

Got hit by a car last year, had a concussion, small break in my left knee, plenty of soft-tissue damage. Once the knee healed enough I could walk without a cane, I discovered I had a torn right labrum, so it was into surgery for me. I'm not complaining: the day I got hit by that car, its' like I won the lottery. It could have been worse, way worse, and I'm lucky to be alive.

I walked a whole lot. Rode my trainer soon as I could, eventually built up to running, after six months of PT got myself back in the pool. I had friends willing to join me for endless hours on stationary bikes at the gym, and I wife who let me deal with everything that came up.

All that good physical news is so incredibly secondary to just being here.
Quote Reply
Re: My season is over [PigBodine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear about your crash. It sucks.

I crashed at Boise and broke my collar bone, seven ribs and scapula. It knocked me out of AG Nationals and AG Worlds. I feel your pain.

Hang in!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had a A/C separation and punctured lung about 8 weeks out from 70.3 worlds a few years back. Luckily I could do nothing for workouts and it allowed me to completely focus on getting healthy and recovered thanks to the punctured lung. I was back to teaching shortly after the accident and had a whole lot to help me refocus my attention. Find something else to focus your energy on that you can do while immobilized, that way you can say to yourself, "It sucks to not be training, but reorganizing the garage/shed/house will be worth it!"
Quote Reply
Re: My season is over [AKCrafty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was feeling great for IMWI and had just finished last hard week of training. Woke up 3 days later in severe pain down entire lower left side. Over the course of the next 5 days deteriated to the point of no ability to walk and a mixture of complete numbness and pain ( I know that's an oxymoron). Now with IMWI 4 days away and possibly the best weather predicted for any IM ever I am 9 days post back surgery and am just starting to be able to walk without a cane. Sucks big time, I feel your pain. I'm still trying to accept what happened and take it easy and recover right. Found out today I can't even start PT for another 4 weeks. Best of luck and take your time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad you're alive :)
Everything else will work itself out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am coming off a crash and injury (IMChoo in 2.5 weeks). The best advice I got was from a Pro bike racer friend - don't gain weight! You have great base fitness. Keep moving, do what you can on the trainer, and take long walks. Then, if you don't gain weight you will bounce back very quickly. I *think* that advise may be working for me.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:
Just as I was peaking for Arizona 70.3 and I crashed going down him. 45 mph ejected through a barb wire fence and hedges. Best up bad, but my scapulae is fractured. Won't have mobility for 6 weeks. Biggest thing I fear is the time off and getting back. Anybody have an injury that completely stopped training for such a long time? What did you do?

you've got some excellent advice (I'm impressed with some of the stuff some ST'er have had happen, AND recovered from).

Last fall I got the worlds easiest broken collarbone - after the last race. But, mentally it allowed be to stop training. Which allowed other issues to finally heal (Achilles, PF).

I looked at it as a positive (admittedly hard the first 10 days, 'cause that SOB hurt more than anything I've had before).

First race back this spring was maybe my best race - ever.

Hard as it sounds; enjoy the journey

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear about your crash.. I feel you! I broke my foot 13 weeks ago during the first race of my season. Only just started walking in shoes this week. I spent the time off travelling, eating ice cream and sitting on the couch. Gotta make the most of the situation you are dealt sometimes! I have been able to get back on the bike and in the pool and although the first few sessions were a disaster, the fitness comes back quickly. My advice would be to enjoy the time off triathlon doing things you want to, but otherwise can't and not worry so much about the fitness, it will come back!

All the best.

JT Multisport | Facebook | Instagram | World Sport Coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear. I was getting ready for my return to Ironman this year. Crashed during a race and broke my collarbone, road rash, 10 stitches in my arm. Needless to say I was out of Ironman since I had to stop most activities.

at about 10 weeks I was back in the pool and I did complete an Olympic distance race at 11 weeks.

For me, I got on the bike trainer as soon as I could. I just say up and rode for 30 minutes or so. I did some leg strength work at the gym and then got on the elliptical.

In the end I looked at exercises that would 1. not cause any pain and 2. would not prolong my recovery time. Of course I did consult with my Dr. and I listened to MOST of his advice.
Quote Reply
Re: My season is over [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm 215 and 15% bodyfat. hence why I likely had a lot of speed and momentum, and why Im probably not worse off. but im hoping this time off will result in loss of this muscle I haven't needed since I was a power lifter and struggled to shed. maybe even some of the bodyfat that comes with it.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I broke my hip a season or two ago. Continued to race on it for a while (a marathon and some halfs) which wasn't fun or pretty. Once I knew what was going on I took my prescribed 3 months (or something like that) off to properly heal and did a lot of cross training.

I have no idea what kind of cross training you'll be able to do, but for me I did weights, all upper body (couldn't really use my leg). so, while this is a different injury area entirely, my point was I came back stronger and had PRs at a lot of distances that I attribute to core work and general strengthening in areas I'd neglected. I hated the cross training and lifting for the first month, then came to love it and it really paid off.

So, you rest and cross train, fix any weak areas you don't usually train and come back next season as a beast! Good luck and try not to get too frustrated!!

~~~~~~~~~
Empire Tri Coach
Team Gatorade Endurance
USATF Coach | NYRR Distance Pacer
Dad of twins
Quote Reply

Prev Next