Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: My friend thinks she is Kona bound [timberdick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timberdick wrote:
i could not believe all the posts about the subject.

seriously? when there are 14 pages of posts on the main forum for the "Hokas: let's get real" thread...seriously. the dumbest shit gets traction over there, and you're criticizing the 2 pages of posts with (mostly) thoughtful responses about someone who cares about her friend?

lame

also wasted another 20 seconds of my life..damnit
Quote Reply
Re: My friend thinks she is Kona bound [npda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you have a point.
Quote Reply
Re: My friend thinks she is Kona bound [spintela] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sad to report that my friend did not make the bike cut off for IM Cabo. Her time was tight since her swim was slow coming out of the water in 2:10 so this did not give her the extra minutes she needed to finish the bike course. It was a tough race and she gave it her all. Wind, hills and extreme heat were one of the causes she suffered during the bike course. Now its time to help her get over her dissapointment and encourage her to continue and to see there is always another race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for updating! I was curious what happened to her. The most interesting part of this thread is the idea of unrealistic expectations...when do you cross that line? If other people believe you can do "X" does that make a difference? When are we holding ourselves back because we don't want to put it all out there and 'fail'? Kudos to your friend for giving it her all on a tough day. The fact that she was willing to toe the line and take a chance is more than just a little victory!

Quote | Reply
Sorry about your friend, sounds like a tough day.
Thanks for the update.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
She should be able to sleep better knowing she gave all she had. And you're exactly right, there IS always another race. If she's a competitor & wants to take it on again & wants to be in Kona she'll get back to it. But IM isn't the be-all end-all definition of a person so don't let her fall into that trap.

Now she knows what to target in training for the next one!

AW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Darn. I was hoping she would finish in a respectable time. Hopefully this doesn't put her off the sport altogether.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sorry she did not make the cutoff - and indeed she should pick another race to train for
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So what were the reactions of the friends who kept telling her she was Kona bound?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: My friend thinks she is Kona bound [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One of the friends especially the one that pushed her the most the one that told her all the time and made her believe she was going to win was very remorsefull. She was worried that she had pushed her too much and that the times she gave her were out of her reach. Today I had a long talk with my friend and she now knows that this race was not the right one for her and that maybe IM is not her distance either because of her times. She did do her best but her best is not fast enough and she does not want to race and always be on the verge of not making the cutoffs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A couple of things...

1. Ironman isn't for everyone. I'll never do one because I simply don't have the time to train for one and I'm ok with that.
  2. Not doing an Ironman doesn't make you any less of a triathlete. Anyone who says it does is an idiot and should be ignored. Do all runners have to do a marathon? What's wrong with doing 5ks? Nothing.

Get her to think about why she does triathlon. Is it to impress other people? It should be for you, everyone has their own reasons. I do it because it's fun. I kind of suck but you know what? I don't care, I have fun doing it. When it stops being fun, I won't do it any more.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: My friend thinks she is Kona bound [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
A couple of things...

1. Ironman isn't for everyone. I'll never do one because I simply don't have the time to train for one and I'm ok with that.
  2. Not doing an Ironman doesn't make you any less of a triathlete. Anyone who says it does is an idiot and should be ignored. Do all runners have to do a marathon? What's wrong with doing 5ks? Nothing.

Get her to think about why she does triathlon. Is it to impress other people? It should be for you, everyone has their own reasons. I do it because it's fun. I kind of suck but you know what? I don't care, I have fun doing it. When it stops being fun, I won't do it any more.

x2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wasted alot of time and money going to cabo. She should stick to the shorter races.
Quote Reply
Re: My friend thinks she is Kona bound [Oil is King] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Speaking of idiotic statements. If you only did the things that you KNOW you can't fail then you're missing an awful lot of the journey & the good things that happen along the way.

Maybe IM isn't her strongest distance, but maybe she is able to say she enjoyed the scenery, the experience, the race, the challenge & what it's brought to her life over the past few months. Maybe she's learned something internally through the process. Simply to say she wasted a lot of time & money to go to cabo is a huge step.

Even with the disappointment of not making the cutoff, I certainly hope she doesn't consider the trip a waste - I mean, she WAS in Cabo, attempting an IRONMAN....I'd trade her - I sat on my tail & went to little kid hockey games all weekend....fun, but not nearly as fun as Cabo would've been...with or without the run.

Perspective.

AW
Quote Reply
Re: My friend thinks she is Kona bound [AWARE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Of course she learned a lot. For her it was also a family vacation. She did enjoy herself it was an experience and not a wates of time and money like Oil is King commented. She will race again because she is already thinking of a half Ironman. She is a strong woman and will not give up. If for others not making it once is considered a defeat and a waste of time and money then they are better of quitting completly. Someitmes I think people write stuff here just to instigate a fight.
Quote Reply
Re: My friend thinks she is Kona bound [AWARE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AWARE wrote:
Speaking of idiotic statements. If you only did the things that you KNOW you can't fail then you're missing an awful lot of the journey & the good things that happen along the way.

Maybe IM isn't her strongest distance, but maybe she is able to say she enjoyed the scenery, the experience, the race, the challenge & what it's brought to her life over the past few months. Maybe she's learned something internally through the process. Simply to say she wasted a lot of time & money to go to cabo is a huge step.

Even with the disappointment of not making the cutoff, I certainly hope she doesn't consider the trip a waste - I mean, she WAS in Cabo, attempting an IRONMAN....I'd trade her - I sat on my tail & went to little kid hockey games all weekend....fun, but not nearly as fun as Cabo would've been...with or without the run.

Perspective.

Exactly. Particularly the part I highlighted.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spintela wrote:
Of course she learned a lot. For her it was also a family vacation. She did enjoy herself it was an experience and not a wates of time and money like Oil is King commented. She will race again because she is already thinking of a half Ironman. She is a strong woman and will not give up. If for others not making it once is considered a defeat and a waste of time and money then they are better of quitting completly. Someitmes I think people write stuff here just to instigate a fight.

love love LOOOOOVE the HIM distance. Plus there are so many, maybe when she recovers from her IM, she pick an HIM toward mid-late summer - there are quite a few still open and won't fill..you can register up until the day prior to the event.

"Though she be but little, she is fierce" ~Shakespeare | Powered by HD Coaching | 2014 Wattie Ink Triathlon Team | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oil is King wrote:
Wasted alot of time and money going to cabo. She should stick to the shorter races.

wow just wow

this is not the lavender room
Quote Reply
Re: My friend thinks she is Kona bound [meuf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hey it's her race, her goals, her results. you'd think that the womens forum would be a place where people wouldn't dump on her. is there any way to keep the asshats from slithering over from the lavender room?
Quote Reply
Re: My friend thinks she is Kona bound [dreaming~big] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dreaming~big wrote:
hey it's her race, her goals, her results. you'd think that the womens forum would be a place where people wouldn't dump on her. is there any way to keep the asshats from slithering over from the lavender room?

Yes, Mr. Oil is reminded that this is NOT the LR and will post accordingly.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oil is King wrote:

She should spend money on a coach and invest some time in working out. Sounds like she isn't in shape to even consider doing IM. Plus she is putting other swimmers in danger entering a race like IM.
Quote Reply
Re: My friend thinks she is Kona bound [instigator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
instigator wrote:
I agree with the others to just stay out of the discussion and say nothing. The only time I really think it would be appropriate to discuss the issue would be if you were her coach. As her coach, i would think it would be role to set realistic and attainable goals for the race. But being just a member of her training group, I would just smile and walk away when the discussion came up.

i totally agree. so, she's done IMs before. she can't be THAT clueless, can she? i mean, she's heard of athlinks, right? (or am i the only once who obsesses over that ;) ).

i don't care if there were only 5 other people in the AG, I wouldn't count on Kona as a guarantee.

i quite get why you are considering getting involved.

http://www.hooslisa.com
Quote Reply
Re: My friend thinks she is Kona bound [kjsmitty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your last sentence is garbage and you know it. She's not putting other swimmers at risk, what utter nonsense. Go post that cr*p in the LR.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spintela wrote:
One of the friends especially the one that pushed her the most the one that told her all the time and made her believe she was going to win was very remorsefull. She was worried that she had pushed her too much and that the times she gave her were out of her reach. Today I had a long talk with my friend and she now knows that this race was not the right one for her and that maybe IM is not her distance either because of her times. She did do her best but her best is not fast enough and she does not want to race and always be on the verge of not making the cutoffs.

geeze. i read the OP, but didn't read the whole thread and see the update until now.
i'm sorry. i still think it's ridiculous that this woman just took for gospel what these knuckleheads were saying. all my friends could be telling me i was going to win my AG at an IM and i wouldn't hang my hat on it. i don't think anyone has anything to feel sorry or apologetic for.
the way you describe her makes her seem like a clueless person, which i hope/believe she is not.

at any rate, i'm really sorry she didn't make the cut off. that has got to be ridiculously disappointing regardless of all this kona nonsense.

i agree with the other PPs, though, good for her for trying. not a wasted trip at all.

http://www.hooslisa.com
Quote Reply
Re: My friend thinks she is Kona bound [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndyPants wrote:
Your last sentence is garbage and you know it. She's not putting other swimmers at risk, what utter nonsense. Go post that cr*p in the LR.

AP

Mr. AP. It's a well know fact that these type of swimmers have no business entering an IM. There are other non-competitive races that don't have swims...Like Duathlon and Biathlon. Shitty swimmers don't belong in IM.
Quote Reply

Prev Next