Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

My first 100 mile bike ride!
Quote | Reply
First things first. Thanks again to all the people who have supported me via TSR in helping me with The Bike[tm] (The Giant), and all the tons of other parts that really helped make this effort possible.

The Details.
100 miles, 16mph, 6:15 for the time.

I started at about 6:37am, and finished just past 1pm. I stopped for a "natural break" once... (attacked by ants!) and then I stopped at mile 60 or so to re-fuel with more liquids.

I weighed myself this morning and I was 205.5 lbs. When I got back, I took a shower and weighed myself again and I was 202 lbs. (lowest I've been in probably 12 years). [My BMI says I should be about 190? -- 6'2"]

What else... oh, the aerobars that Marty gave me I think are a wee bit too short. I got the Medium C2 Syntace clip-ons. I'll probably get those to Record10Carbon so he can TSR them to someone. Unless you can buy extensions for the ends, and in that case they'll be just fine.

DOGS DOGS DOGS!
Wow.... I had about 15 or 16 dogs try and attack me. One even got close enough to get saliva on my left leg. That happened about mile 90. I was feeling pretty good up to that point, but stopping took a little bit out of me. I got another gel, got some water, and by mile 92 or so I was stoked again.

I really like that distance on the bike. It's a lot of fun. I think I might actually try and do 8 or 9 100 mile rides after all. I think if I can get my time down on the bike some, then I'll be able to almost walk the whole Marathon.

Time for my 2.4 mile swim should be about 1:45 (not going hard). I'm thinking time on the bike should be 6:45, that's what, 8:30... So that actually gives me 8 1/2 hours to "run" the Marathon. 16:59:59... anything else ahead of that is icing on the cake!!!

Thanks again gang for all the support. More later.
Trae

--
Trae McCombs
TSR - Sponsored by the Masses. Racing for the hell of it.
Ironman Finisher 2005 -- 14:09:18
Quote Reply
Re: My first 100 mile bike ride! [occy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
congratulations!! good for you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My BMI says I should be about 190? -- 6'2"

What does BMI have to do with triathlon?

Realistically, 180 is probably closer to a high-end racing weight for your height. If you are a bodybuilder then please disregard. Look at this chart: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/...y-Build%20Charts.JPG

For me, medium frame - 6' 0" and 162-165 is about right, the BMI calculator has my weight at 178 which would make me FAT, and that 165 includes muscles, upper body, huge glutes and quads. http://www.activeusa.com/...weight_calc_togo.cfm

The most challenging part of my day is NOT eating, it is often more difficult than training.

Really, I have a constant nagging pang at least once or twice per day, kind of like always hungry except when training.

Floyd Landis said at the interview at our shop, to lose weight and stay light, you should be hungry at least once daily.

I try to go to sleep hungry every night, sometimes I don't have the willpower, but I am shooting to really stay light.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First century- great job! It's a fun distance to ride. Time consuming, but fun.

Yes, I too am on Facebook. And LinkedIn. And Twitter. Which begs the question - do I exist in the physical world? Do I?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
16:59:59... anything else ahead of that is icing on the cake!!!
I love that. May I quote you on that?

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool man, very cool. I remember watching my bike computer flip from 99.9 to 100 for the first time. Great feeling.

-Colin

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: My first 100 mile bike ride! [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Halfspeed, feel free to quote me!

Thanks guys for all the encouraging words.

As far as BMI, I was 250+ on Jan 1st 2004. I got down to about 213 by March 2004, then started training for my first Marathon. I think somewhere that summer I got to a low of 203lbs. That was my lowest weight I'd been at up until this afternoon after my bike ride when I weighed 202.

I'm a fairly broad shouldered guy... but I do know I could stand to lose 10lbs or more. I was 185 when I was in the Army.

I'm hoping I can get down to around 190 by the time IMFL gets here. Who knows.

Eating for me is a challenge. I eat, and eat and eat and eat... Did I mention I eat? I can't seem to stop. And of course, I love all the bad stuff too. *sigh* I think someone suggested putting a fat picture of yourself on the fridge. I might have to try that.

Thanks again gang!
Trae

--
Trae McCombs
TSR - Sponsored by the Masses. Racing for the hell of it.
Ironman Finisher 2005 -- 14:09:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mazal tov!

---------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good job dude! Keep it up.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome!!!! You rock!!!

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great job Occy!!! You are shining example of why TSR is a good thing!

Andy

'You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Thinsg Are As They Are.'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thought of you while I was out on my "long" day this morning and that it was only 62 miles. Introduced a budy of mine to Slowtwitch on the ride and told the "legend" of Occy and TSR. Too cool.

Michael

Drafting is for the weak...

Tri2Hover...making flat coke since September 9, 2006.
Quote Reply