Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
My classic steel bike build- help!
Quote | Reply
I had the desire to get a classic bike that won't go out of style. I ended up finding a Pinarello steel frame from the 90's that appealed to me. Excited to build it up, so now what? I could use some SRAM force 10 speed parts I have laying around... Or, do I pick up a new Campagnolo Chorus groupo and keep it Italian!

I should add that the bike has a threaded steel fork, so it uses the old school quil stem. Makes it a little harder to build, but I found a quill stem that looks nice and is a 31.8mm handlebar clamp.

Of course, I don't want to spend a lot, but bike builds seem to get expensive!

Anywho, give me your thoughts.
Quote Reply
Re: My classic steel bike build- help! [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go Campy! You're doing this to build a classic bike.

Turbo, Rolls, or Flite saddle (depending on when in the '90s you are going for).

eBay is your friend for NOS parts.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Campa all the way of course. Problem with these new groupsets is they look rather modern, especially the crankset. If you want something that looks a bit more classic but is modern, you could go with Potenza or Athena, they both come in a silver version that generally suits a classic build better, they're also a lot friendlier on the wallet than Chorus, Potenza has the four-arm and Athena the five arm crankset. Just be advised that Potenza and Athena don't have the ergolever for multiple upshifts, only multiple downshifts. NOS is also a good way to go but not necessarily a budget option depending on what you're looking for. Some stuff only seems to get more expensive!
Quote Reply
Re: My classic steel bike build- help! [snaaijert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go for a 10 speed campagnolo groupset. No carbon !
I did the same with a 94 Pinarello Asolo. Unfortunately I broke the steerer on the steel fork so I'm using a carbon fork which looks a bit ugly but I'm on the lookout for a nice chrome fork. Good quality stuff is more expensive than you think.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you really find a quill stem with an oversized clamp??

I could only find one available, from Origin8, it works fine but is ugly as hell!!

WRT the build if you have nice Force stuff in the parts bin use that. I like deep section polished aluminium rims on a classic steel build, old Zondas look good.

http://www.bikeforums.net/...mes-sti-s-ergos.html

Plenty of ideas above!

-------------------------------
´Get the most aero and light bike you can get. With the aero advantage you can be saving minutes and with the weight advantage you can be saving seconds. In a race against the clock both matter.´

BMANX
Last edited by: Barchettaman: Oct 22, 16 3:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a big fan of the build kit on the red Masi Grand Criterium shown about halfway down the page here. Campy Potenza seems to be where its at.

Shameless plug: if you plan on using tires with a tan/gum sidewall (and you should), I'm selling a pair of NOS 700x25 Avocet Fasgrip 30 tires. Contact me off-list for details.

--Gene
Quote Reply
Re: My classic steel bike build- help! [Barchettaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Barchettaman wrote:
Did you really find a quill stem with an oversized clamp??

I could only find one available, from Origin8, it works fine but is ugly as hell!!

WRT the build if you have nice Force stuff in the parts bin use that. I like deep section polished aluminium rims on a classic steel build, old Zondas look good.

http://www.bikeforums.net/...mes-sti-s-ergos.html

Plenty of ideas above!

A chinese company called factory five. Google it. It looks good and was featured in a few articles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, will check that out.

::EDIT:: £95, bloody hell!!

-------------------------------
´Get the most aero and light bike you can get. With the aero advantage you can be saving minutes and with the weight advantage you can be saving seconds. In a race against the clock both matter.´

BMANX
Last edited by: Barchettaman: Oct 22, 16 6:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jharris wrote:
I had the desire to get a classic bike that won't go out of style. I ended up finding a Pinarello steel frame from the 90's that appealed to me. Excited to build it up, so now what? I could use some SRAM force 10 speed parts I have laying around... Or, do I pick up a new Campagnolo Chorus groupo and keep it Italian!

I should add that the bike has a threaded steel fork, so it uses the old school quil stem. Makes it a little harder to build, but I found a quill stem that looks nice and is a 31.8mm handlebar clamp.

You're gonna love steel, I have a custom Columbus cromoly tubed Marinoni and despite having 3 pther nice rides, it's still my go to steed.
You really should go Campy, there some good deals on ebay, craigelist, etc.

res, non verba
Quote Reply
Re: My classic steel bike build- help! [RoYe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RoYe wrote:
You're gonna love steel, I have a custom Columbus cromoly tubed Marinoni and despite having 3 pther nice rides, it's still my go to steed.
You really should go Campy, there some good deals on ebay, craigelist, etc.[/quote]

I have high hopes! Instead of bike parts that seem to go out of style like women's clothes, I thought to have something more timeless in the corral. I'm excited to build this thing up!
Quote Reply
Re: My classic steel bike build- help! [geetee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
geetee wrote:
I'm a big fan of the build kit on the red Masi Grand Criterium shown about halfway down the page here. Campy Potenza seems to be where its at.

Shameless plug: if you plan on using tires with a tan/gum sidewall (and you should), I'm selling a pair of NOS 700x25 Avocet Fasgrip 30 tires. Contact me off-list for details.

--Gene

I actually really like the look of the Potenza 11 group! Thanks for the idea. I'll check into it. Hell, Dura-ace 7800 was aluminum and there is nothing wrong with that group. I am stuck on "lining up" groupo's, thus if Record is like Dura-ace or Red, than Chorus must be like Ultegra or Force. I have a hard time buying parts that I feel would be less than an Uktegra group. Campagnolo advertises the Potenza and says it as good as the Record or Chorus, just not carbon.

Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
'RetroBike' is a good source of info and older parts (including NOS), it's certainly been very useful to me for old MTB's :-)

WD :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
totalcycling.com has a Nitto Pearl quill stem in 26.0 and several choices for Minelli bars in 26.0.

Do it. Do it now!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Which Pinarello? I still have my late 80s Pinarello Montello that I began riding again this year. Mine is all Dura Ace. If you want it to be period legit, get Dura Ace. Campy was sentimental in the late 80s and early 90s, but Shimano Dura Ace is what winners won on.
Quote Reply
Re: My classic steel bike build- help! [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FatandSlow wrote:
totalcycling.com has a Nitto Pearl quill stem in 26.0 and several choices for Minelli bars in 26.0.

Do it. Do it now!

Already on it. Benscycle.com is near me and I already walked through the warehouse and scoped out some things for ideas. NItto Pearl in black is my second choice. Only problem is it limits my bar choices with the 26.0 clamp size.

The other stem I would have to locate is the ITM clamshell style stem that is black and silver. So nice!
Quote Reply
Re: My classic steel bike build- help! [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
Which Pinarello? I still have my late 80s Pinarello Montello that I began riding again this year. Mine is all Dura Ace. If you want it to be period legit, get Dura Ace. Campy was sentimental in the late 80s and early 90s, but Shimano Dura Ace is what winners won on.

Interesting.

My frame is the Sestriere.

Some of them had bolts for fenders to ride in winter. I don't believe my frame does. It's blue and has some cool paint effects.

When I get it, I'll post some pics. A few days it should be here!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take a look here: http://www.yellowjersey.org

Finding parts for building up old bikes is what he does.

My 2 cents are that you must go Campy.

-- Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jharris wrote:
exxxviii wrote:

Interesting.

My frame is the Sestriere.

Some of them had bolts for fenders to ride in winter. I don't believe my frame does. It's blue and has some cool paint effects.

When I get it, I'll post some pics. A few days it should be here!

I just looked up the 90's era. Turns out Pinarello was the winning brand bike from 91-97 and had Campagnolo parts for all of those wins. Looks like I need to go campy of I want to stick history.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jharris wrote:

It's a bike. Bikes are for riding. Get parts that work well within your budget. Presumably you like SRAM and have some, so use them.

Or if you have SRAM laying around because you don't like them, get something else that works better for you.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now you have me curious. Where did you find the wins and bikes?

When I got back into bikes this year, I was actually surprised that Campy still even existed. Campy was the gold standard through the early 80s, but they were very late to click shifting, and their initial click shift product attempt sucked righteously. I think they hoped it would either go away or simply get dismissed by the pros as a gimmick. When I was racing in the late 80s and early 90s, Dura Ace had become the champion groupset because of click shifting and advances in weight and ergonomics. Shimano was pushing innovation at an amazing rate while Campy was relegated to vintage 70s/80s sentimental design. It looks like Campy could have staged its recovery sometime later in the 90s.

I bought my Pinarello Montello SLX and everything as individual parts, down to the spokes and rims. The only assembly I did not do was the headset, since I did not have a headset press. I rode it in a century last month, and the bike was superb. It was definitely the oldest bike in the ride by a huge margin. The paint is falling off, so I want to get mine restored back to its original looking glory. That may be a project for 2017...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My view on this is you can go two ways - Keep it ALL vintage with most or all parts, or the same time, if you can find them.

The other option and a look I really like is, use the older steel frame as a base, but then use more up to date and modern kit for the bike where you can. With this you get the benefits and look of a classic steel road bike, but the functionality of a more up-to-date gruppo, wheels etc . .

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whatever you do, make sure you put some relatively low spoke-count (bladed) wheels on there with Turbo Cottons and latex tubes. You'll wonder what all the fuss is with new bikes after riding that ;-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you going to ride the bike much, or just have it as a rolling museum.

Keeping it all "as original" can be hard/expensive, and the bike won't be as nice to ride.

Once you upgrade the wheels/tires and Tom mentions, the bike will probably ride pretty nice, but then you'll miss modern components.

If you already have a modern groupset, just put that on, and build it up as you would a new frame.

I recently got a great deal on a Dura-Ace 9000 mechanical groupset for my late 90's titanium (built by Litespeed) Bianchi. It still has an original Dura-Ace seatpost, Dura-Ace threaded headset, I think it's a look carbon fork, and Selle Italia Flite saddle, and really still looks fairly retro, being a round tube bike and all. I need to get a couple Ciussi water bottle cages still.
Quote Reply
Re: My classic steel bike build- help! [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:

Indurain won the TdF from 91-95 on Pinarello (although 2 years it was a Pinarello-branded Pegoretti) with Campy.

Also, Campy dominated the TdF from the 80s through the 90s: Campy was the winning group from 78-82; 84-88; and 90-98. Dura Ace didn't get a TdF win until 1999 with he-who-shall-not-be-named.

http://cycling-passion.com/...groupsets-year-year/

Spot

Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
My view on this is you can go two ways - Keep it ALL vintage with most or all parts, or the same time, if you can find them.

The other option and a look I really like is, use the older steel frame as a base, but then use more up to date and modern kit for the bike where you can. With this you get the benefits and look of a classic steel road bike, but the functionality of a more up-to-date gruppo, wheels etc . .

Yep. #2

I want the old school feel with updated twist. I also want to share my wheels with my other bikes. Now that 11 speed can be swapped with Sram and Shimano, it's nice to be able to use any wheel between brands and cassette spacing doesn't matter!

I bit the bullet 15 min ago and made a decision. UK sellers have great prices on stuff with exchange rates. So- I bought Campy Record for shifters and derauillers. Went campy Chorus for chain and brakes. Went Campy Potenza for the crank. All in, it was like $870. Thought that was pretty good for that mix!
Quote Reply

Prev Next