Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
My buddy is doing RAAM - What would an ideal bike be
Quote | Reply
I have a good friend who is has qualified for RAAM (twice over actually) and is in the market for a new bike to ride coast-to-coast.

Any RAAM vets out there? He is not budget constrained... what would an ideal spec be? I'll likely be crew for at least half the ride,
so I will have to live with any bitching that comes from the bike... (he'll be taking his existing road and possibly his tri bike as backups,
but a top shelf main bike seems in order..)

Are there some fit guidelines that change when you start to look at spending 18-22 hours a day on the bike for multiple days?

" I take my gear out of my car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of of their lives shocks me. "
(opening lines from Tim Krabbe's The Rider , 1978
Quote Reply
Re: My buddy is doing RAAM - What would an ideal bike be [TriDevilDog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cervelo is always the ideal bike.
Quote Reply
Re: My buddy is doing RAAM - What would an ideal bike be [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
like!
Quote Reply
Re: My buddy is doing RAAM - What would an ideal bike be [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri_yoda wrote:
Cervelo is always the ideal bike.

Maybe a P2C though, for the extra head tube and, *i think* extra comfort features in the rear triangle.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: My buddy is doing RAAM - What would an ideal bike be [TriDevilDog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lightweight comfortable road bike with lightweight wheels for the mountains on the first couple of days, then a comfortable bike with aero bars and aero wheels for the rest of the race. Since no budgetary constraints, have backups for all the above. I think my friend (11th overall in 1994) had four bikes; alas, all the bikes and wheels were stolen in DC after the race.

If your buddy doesn't have his "fit changes" already dialed in before the race starts, he's in for some long days and a short race.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TITANFLEX.... THE bike for RAAM.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since cost is no object, the price on my wife's 20 year old pink Schwinn cruiser just went up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2nd titanflex, also aim for a bit more upright position than is typical, neck problems are one of the more common DNFs. You can qualify for RAAM without at least a 500 mile or so ride so whatever was bothering him at that point aim for something that will alleviate it.

Styrrell

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+3 for TitanFlex

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Re: My buddy is doing RAAM - What would an ideal bike be [DrD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A nice lightweight climbing bike and a comfortable aero bike for the flats
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did RAAM on a lugged Waterford. It's not the bike. Rather, it's the training, the nutrition and the support team.
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He's doing RAAM and looking for bike suggestions?!

The guys I know that have done RAAM aren't the type that need advice on bikes.

Then again, they also set records...maybe we're talking about different types of riders.
Quote Reply
Re: My buddy is doing RAAM - What would an ideal bike be [styrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 Good ol shermer neck.... Thats what a 2x4 and duct tape is for.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Re: My buddy is doing RAAM - What would an ideal bike be [%FTP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He just finished Adirondak 540 solo, 30,000 feet of climbing on a 6 year old (maybe more?) Trek team Postal replica. We're working up a spec on a new rig and I thought I could tap the ST cloud brain, but it seems to becoming up damaged...

Current thinking is a Madone with DI2, aero bars on road cockpit. He's got a set of 808s so maybe a set of 202 or 404 as climbing wheels.

Something like a Felt AR or Cervelo S5 is tempting, but the comfort sacrifice seems risky. I'll look into Titanflexer..

" I take my gear out of my car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of of their lives shocks me. "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriDevilDog wrote:
adone with DI2, aero bars on road cockpit.

I would skip Di2 since it's extra complexity that you're introducing. I feel it'd be too high risk for the situation where you'd want the absolutely best time-tested components.

Velosurance - bicycle insurance
Quote Reply
Re: My buddy is doing RAAM - What would an ideal bike be [00gauge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You defininately want a back up, but I'd use Di2. I did one ride with lots of climbing and lost the ability to push the rear shift on my STIs. Of course he will likely be better trained, but still something like raam any thing that saves a bit of energy.

In my dreams I'd have a Cannondale Evo with superlight parts for climbing, a S5 with aerobars for most of the flats, and a titanflex set up with bigger tires and a pretty upright position for when things get tough. A variety of saddles would be nice too.

Styrrell

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: My buddy is doing RAAM - What would an ideal bike be [00gauge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Feedback from other RAAM riders has been that changing positions to shift, or simple repetitive motion weariness, led him to ride in the wrong gear for long stretches. Having the aero bar shift pod seems like a great solution. Remember , we'll be in a follow van with a spare bike for any hiccups.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want to go steel and go custom.... Call my buddy Dave at Ellis Cycles. The guy is a fanatic and turns out unbelievable bicycles that are beautiful. His frames won awards the last 3 years at the handmade bike show.

Otherwise, I'm thinking cervelo r3 our specialized Roubaix, but I know zero about RAAM other than watching it. :)

That's awesome you'll be on the crew. A very cool experience.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriDevilDog wrote:
Feedback from other RAAM riders has been that changing positions to shift, or simple repetitive motion weariness, led him to ride in the wrong gear for long stretches.

especially at night. I've only done a 24 hour time trial and more doubles then I can remember, and certainly a point of discussion in our small group has sometimes been, "I had no idea I was riding a crossed chain all that time."

I would want a nice comfortable road bike with nice comfortable aerobars, and wouldn't worry too much about how low I am. The reality is, hardly anyone is *really* competing for the solo win so what difference would it make? It comes down I'm sure to whether or not you can keep riding. I remember doing a 24 hour road race and my only goal on the overnight was to ride all night, laps and speed be damned.

If I was absolutely determined to ride a low cockpit I would have the technical means at my disposal to raise it up if needed.

Good luck to your friend. He is at the extreme pointy end of the cycling world, one which most cyclists don't even know exists.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"That night I had a dream. I dreamt I was as light as the ether."
Quote Reply
Re: My buddy is doing RAAM - What would an ideal bike be [Tiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tiki wrote:

Good luck to your friend. He is at the extreme pointy end of the cycling world, one which most cyclists don't even know exists.

i know it exists......... i just pretend it doesn't, because it scares me!

i'd 'like' to do RAAM someday. but the thought of hammering my bike for that long scares me. i've never ridden a bike at less than a hammer down pace before. i'd blow up (like last night)

Tim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about a bike like the one used by a five-time winner of RAAM, the late Jure Robic? Here are links to photos I took of Jure's bike while he stopped at our time station in Camdenton, Missouri, in 2007 and 2008.

2007 photo (smaller photo): http://www.gojim.tv/Miscellaneous/Jure_Robic_Bike/Robic_bike_2007.jpg

2008 photo (larger photo): http://www.gojim.tv/.../Robic_bike_2008.jpg

I've taken photos and videos of numerous bikes ridden in RAAM, and they seem to be as varied (in terms of brands, geometry, components, frames, etc.) as snowflakes.

Jim
Quote Reply
Re: My buddy is doing RAAM - What would an ideal bike be [twinracer2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i'd be up for a ST team. team of 8. hammer 3hrs per day. i like to climb. and it goes through my hometown of greensburg, indiana so my mom can make lots of pancakes.

---------------------------------------
Fruit snacks are for winners
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kestrel sponsors a team and they use your new Kestrel RT1000. It's an aero road bike designed for comfort. Sloping top tube, high head tube, and a very comfortable frameset.

Check it out @ www.kestrelbicycles.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My suggestion, he'll need at least two completely different set-ups or positions. With his current road bike and current tri-bike already on board I'd purchase something that can be set up in the most comfortable road postion possible; if he's naturally a triathlete then go with the most comfortable tri position possible. From there, have the other two bikes set up comfortable but completely different from his main bike. And then, and I'm sure he knows this already, be very comfortable changing bikes on a regular basis. As a crew, expect this and invite this. RAAM is huge. I wish him and you and the rest of his crew good luck. Enjoy the journey!

Disclaimer: I have qualified for RAAM but I haven't done RAAM. (I'm not an expert. : )
Quote Reply
Re: My buddy is doing RAAM - What would an ideal bike be [sharad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sharad wrote:
Kestrel sponsors a team and they use your new Kestrel RT1000. It's an aero road bike designed for comfort. Sloping top tube, high head tube, and a very comfortable frameset.

Second that. Got mine replacing a Cannondale Six13, dialed it in and did a double century a week later on it. One suggestion - go with road tubeless wheels. They make the bike even more comfortable and even easier to ride long distance.

Granted, 200 miles is nowhere near RAAM. Just my opinion.
Quote Reply

Prev Next