Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: My beef (in alignment to) 50 women to Kona [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A fair and equitable solution came to me on this morning's run; separate the fields. Womens (pro and AG) Saturday. Mens (pro and AG) Sunday.

Presto! Equality (2000 Women / 2000 Men), Fairness (no more male AG interfering with the Women's race), Economics (double AG slots and double exposure for WTC).

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: My beef (in alignment to) 50 women to Kona [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:

Presto! Equality (2000 Women / 2000 Men), Fairness (no more male AG interfering with the Women's race), Economics (double AG slots and double exposure for WTC).

Except I'm not sure the area can really handle double the # of people.
Quote Reply
Re: My beef (in alignment to) 50 women to Kona [gogogo!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
However, the qualification criteria for women are the same as they are for men (even if the spots are not).

If a female pro goes to Kona tired because she has had to race more to get there then chances are that the other 34 women on the start line are tired as well and a fair playing field is resumed. The rules are the same for everyone on that line. These ladies are elite endurance racers and sometimes you will need to race tired.

Going back to the discussion of depth of field and number of women/men with their pro cards, if we were to make it 50 men and 50 women then the depth of field and fewer pro argument then comes back around. But this time on the other hand.

With a weaker field at races, fewer pro women racing and 50 spots available then it will be easier for a middling-level female pro to qualify than a middling-level male pro and equality is non-equal again.

This could be all wrong but is how I see it (bearing in mind I haven't read up on the qualification process as much as maybe I should have)...

Blog: http://www.coopstriblog.wordpress.com
Latest blog: Setting Goals. With or Without Gin.
Date: 10/31/2017
Quote Reply
Re: My beef (in alignment to) 50 women to Kona [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:
Only 32 woman finished last year, with the men's 60 YO Age group winner beating some. Do people REALLY want to see that? Frankly, after 10 or 15 men/women finish, who cares! How can someone who does an IM in 11:30 be a pro? Add more age groupers......they're paying the freight.

And only 35 men finished. The last place woman's time compared to the last place man's time at Kona just reflects the fact that women are more likely to finish the race when things aren't going their way.

As a female triathlete with the thought of going pro on the horizon, I would have some serious reservations about racing WTC branded IMs as a pro. I'd likely save my $750 pro fee to WTC and race Challenge 70.3 and 140.6. Making it to the start line at Kona as a pro is the penultimate achievement (after winning Kona), but the fact that I'd have to race 2-3 FULL IMs in a single season before I had enough points to qualify makes me unlikely to even shoot for it until late in my career. Not because of time or work or effort, but for the sake of my health and the expense required to travel/race that much. If I could place well in 1 full and kick ass at bunch of 70.3s like the men do to qualify, I'd be all in for racing after the KQ. Just sharing a specific example of how WTCs current system keeps more women off the start lines of their qualifying races, weighting the average more towards men.

http://trainingwheelsrequired.wordpress.com
@KellyNCollier
Quote Reply
Re: My beef (in alignment to) 50 women to Kona [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JenSw wrote:
Raise your hand if you are a woman posting to this thread. Raise both hands of you are a woman pro triathlete.

See, this is the fundamental problem. There aren't enough women involved in making these decisions so their opinions and voices are easily overwhelmed and ignored. Instead they are asked about balancing work and family and their decisions about having babies. (For the love of all that is holy, if you have to ask it, please at least ask the men the same question. Last I checked it takes two.)

Maybe more women aren't pro because they have to choose between family and training. Women still take on the majority of housework and childcare at home, even though that is getting better. Their partners may not be game to pull more duty at home. This is just conjecture but if triathlon is a reflection of society as a whole, this isn't a crazy conclusion.

Triathlon has been a great equalizer in many ways except this last one.

Someone asked which professional women want 50 slots. There have been 2 opinion articles and one interview that came up when I searched ST main site. (Yes, there is part of ST that isn't a forum.) Here is the interview with Rachel Joyce:

http://www.slowtwitch.com/...oyce_Talks_4974.html

There is a Twitter account: https://twitter.com/50WomenToKona

If you (the poster who asked) took 5 minutes to look around you'd see the pro women who are asking for this.

I suggest all of you watch the show Nine for IX, particularly one called "Branded." It is an interesting look into how female athletes rate in income vs male and how those women actually make their money. Hint: It isn't from playing the actual sport.

We can all argue about why women's sports aren't as popular in the US but that has nothing really to do with adding 15 more slots to Kona. Some of the most exciting Kona finishes have come from the women's field. Which finish do you remember most? I suspect for many of you, it is this one.

IT might just be that on this entire thread there are only 1-2 hands up and as I alluded to early in the thread, that is a problem across society and if men don't step up for opportunities for our sisters, wives, daughters, nieces and women friends that status quo of middle age white guys arguing about why the status quo is fine will continue to persist. This entire thred is literally void of female input with a bunch of guys arguing why women are not competitive yada yada yada yada. Even some of the guys mean well but their constant bantering for the other side for the sake of proving a point alone slants the playing field in favor of limiting access to women. Open up a similar thread in the women's forum and banning men from posting and perhaps we start to see different points of view. The pro women who I have spoken to on this topic, none of them are in favour of less women's slots. Men married to pro women are not either. Men who coach pro women want equal slots. I think most men involved coaching any women athletes will also want equal slots. I think what you are seeing on this thread are a bunch of guys who have zero link to the challenges of women's athletics. If they did they would park their debates where they are just trying to prove who is more right and realize they are harming the cause of the women trying to gain equal access as their male peers.
Quote Reply
Re: My beef (in alignment to) 50 women to Kona [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To be fair, slowtwitch is a sub prime audience for this discussion, because it's almost entirely non-pro middle age men already scored about the disproportionality of Kona slots for their AGs. There are a few facebook groups that contain both men and women but a much higher proportion of women and pros that have been having useful discussions.

http://trainingwheelsrequired.wordpress.com
@KellyNCollier
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just because I'm being an asshole today since I'm packing for a move, I went back to the Beth Gerdes article and looked at the questions asked after the first couple hello and thanks.

Want to hear the result?
  • 9 questions were either about Wynne, pregnancy, qualified the question with something about Luke, or focused on her family life.
  • 7 were about her racing and career.

In the name of providing a comparison, I picked the first article I saw on the homepage about a male athlete, the interview with Jan Kriska. Once the interview gets into the real questions, guess what?
  • 12 questions about his racing
  • 5 questions that included family.

I'm not saying there has to be the same number of questions about family for both male and female interviewees but I think this perfectly sums of where this sport, and society as a whole, is. Even with all the progress, still arguing over equal slots and still focusing on women athletes in relation to their families. I suspect focusing more on their accomplishments would be appreciated by both the reader and the woman being interviewed.

Back to packing boxes. I suspect I've annoyed enough people for the day.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: My beef (in alignment to) 50 women to Kona [gogogo!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gogogo! wrote:
no it is not. women need more points than men so they can get within the 35 slot range right now. they need to race more, and they will be more tired.
read the interview with beth gerdes. she would be in, if she were a man. now she needs to keep racing.

Them's the breaks. Under my plan get enough women doing IMs so they are 50% of the field and the slots will be equal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's weird isn't it Dev?

You're smart and they're smart. But neither side can convince the other.
Perhaps it's not as simple as you think it is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JenSw wrote:
Just because I'm being an asshole today since I'm packing for a move, I went back to the Beth Gerdes article and looked at the questions asked after the first couple hello and thanks.

Want to hear the result?
  • 9 questions were either about Wynne, pregnancy, qualified the question with something about Luke, or focused on her family life.
  • 7 were about her racing and career.

In the name of providing a comparison, I picked the first article I saw on the homepage about a male athlete, the interview with Jan Kriska. Once the interview gets into the real questions, guess what?
  • 12 questions about his racing
  • 5 questions that included family.

I'm not saying there has to be the same number of questions about family for both male and female interviewees but I think this perfectly sums of where this sport, and society as a whole, is. Even with all the progress, still arguing over equal slots and still focusing on women athletes in relation to their families. I suspect focusing more on their accomplishments would be appreciated by both the reader and the woman being interviewed.

Back to packing boxes. I suspect I've annoyed enough people for the day.

I've commented on this for years here in the forum. And yes I am biased, my wife was (still thinks she is) a professional triathlete. If you go back through and look at front page articles it's usually the same format, 4 images is usually the norm, 1st image that leads the article and thus used on homepage thumbnail, I'd say off the top of my head 80% of time is the winning male.

I remember bringing this up with Herbert on more than one occasion over the years, usual response is that they're at the whim of event photographers / have to take whatever they can get (which I'm not debating). And to be fair to Herbert / Dan the reporting has improved over the past couple years and the girls do get a lot more exposure compared to when I first started hanging here in 08/09.

Ultimately this place is an affluent middle aged mens club. We all know that and accept it. But as that demographic I'd prefer more of a balance still and I don't feel its unreasonable for a little affirmative action on Messicks part to enable more depth in the womens pro ranks. It's our sport not Messicks, why not give them a hand up and let them have 50 spots the same as the boys.
Quote Reply
Re: My beef (in alignment to) 50 women to Kona [Salmon Steve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Just because I'm being an asshole today since I'm packing for a move, I went back to the Beth Gerdes article and looked at the questions asked after the first couple hello and thanks."

this point piqued my interest. i went back to the prior woman's interview on slowtwitch, melissa hauschildt. no questions to her about anything other than racing. the one before that? angela naeth. 23 questions, 2 were not specifically about racing, the rest were only about racing.

of the last dozen interviews with pro athletes, it's 6 men, 6 women. of the last 2 dozen, it's 14 men and 10 women. make of all that what you will.

pardon, i don't mean to whine. JenSW, i know you're just feeling like being an asshole today, i'm sympathetic. Steve, thank you for noticing we're doing better.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Last edited by: Slowman: Apr 4, 15 16:06
Quote Reply
Re: My beef (in alignment to) 50 women to Kona [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Halvard wrote:
If you want to know more about the depth of the men and women's field you have to take a look at what Thorstein is writing.
http://www.trirating.com/...eld-as-deep-as-mens/

Conclusion
I couldn’t find any data that supports the claim that the depth of the women’s field is any worse than the men’s field. (If you have other suggestions, please let me know!) While the lower number of athletes leads to bigger gaps in the Ironman races across the globe, at least the women that made it to Kona are as competitive as their male counterparts. In my eyes, the women’s race in Kona would be even more exciting than it already is if there were 50 Pro slots for the women.

As I mentioned in an earlier comment, his assessment is flawed. He puts % of finishers on the y-axis rather than absolute place of finisher. Because the field is 35 vs 50, he is then determining that the depth is equal because 7th woman performs the same as 10th male and 14th the same as 20th and 28th the same as 40th. If anything, this validates that the fields are not equally deep and that WTC is putting together fields of comparable depth using 35 and 50.

Here are performance graphs from 2011-2014. These graphs show overall place relative to percent of winner's time. Any finish > 116% of the winner is thrown out as that is not considered an honest effort, ie Raelerts 5:30 marathon time and is thus treated the same as DNF, ie not counted as a finish. As you can see, in 2011 and 2012 the women's field clearly tapers off, indicating lesser depth compared to male field. This is less apparent in 2013 and 2014.

Last edited by: kny: Apr 4, 15 16:39
Quote Reply
Re: My beef (in alignment to) 50 women to Kona [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kny wrote:
Halvard wrote:
If you want to know more about the depth of the men and women's field you have to take a look at what Thorstein is writing.
http://www.trirating.com/...eld-as-deep-as-mens/

Conclusion
I couldn’t find any data that supports the claim that the depth of the women’s field is any worse than the men’s field. (If you have other suggestions, please let me know!) While the lower number of athletes leads to bigger gaps in the Ironman races across the globe, at least the women that made it to Kona are as competitive as their male counterparts. In my eyes, the women’s race in Kona would be even more exciting than it already is if there were 50 Pro slots for the women.

As I mentioned in an earlier comment, his assessment is flawed. He puts % of finishers on the y-axis rather than absolute place of finisher. Because the field is 35 vs 50, he is then determining that the depth is equal because 7th woman performs the same as 10th male and 14th the same as 20th and 28th the same as 40th. If anything, this validates that the fields are not equally deep and that WTC is putting together fields of comparable depth using 35 and 50.

Here are performance graphs from 2011-2014. These graphs show overall place relative to percent of winner's time. Any finish > 116% of the winner is thrown out as that is not considered an honest effort, ie Raelerts 5:30 marathon time and is thus treated the same as DNF, ie not counted as a finish. As you can see, in 2011 and 2012 the women's field clearly tapers off, indicating lesser depth compared to male field. This is less apparent in 2013 and 2014.

How many men give up and drop out compare to the women, % or #.

Personally I think it is just stupid what WTC/Ironman is doing for their brand championship.
As fare as I know Challenge did not cap the females at Bahrin or Dubai.
I guess those crazy Europeans have a different view on women and racing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm just providing statistics. Don't bite the messenger. I try to let numbers do the talking.

NYC Marathon: 40 elite males, 30 elite females
Chicago Marathon: 28 elite males, 19 elite females

WTC pro pool: 438 pro males, 256 pro females.

If only 10 of each were welcome at the world championships, then it seems obvious there should be parity. But, at 50? How about 100? 200? 256? At what point is it clear that you are tapping so deep into the total pro pool that you are no longer just taking the pointy end? That point clearly comes at a smaller number for females than it does for males. That is simply fact due to the fact that there are only 58% as many pro females as there are males.
Last edited by: kny: Apr 4, 15 16:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am not going after you.
I think WTC/ironman is on the wrong side of history. That is all.

Sports have a bad history when it comes to treating women. What is happening when you give women the same attention? Look at Norway and Sweden. In endurance sports women (Kalla, Bjorgen, Johaug) are the biggest stars.

Again, I am not going after you.
I think WTC/ironman are treating women badly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think WTC should let in 15 more women. But, more because there is little to lose by doing so and so much PR to gain. I do, however, believe that they have a numerical, statistical argument that the current 35 and 50 approach is producing equivalent fields from a performance and depth of field perspective. In addition to the argument they have provided regarding proportionate representation of total pool.

But, if I were Messick, I would just fold my cards and let in 50. Or, bring the male field down to 35 and incur more wrath. So, probably the former.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The problem with using numbers is that you have to be willing to adjust them.
Men dropped of in a higher rate than women last year.
Well, men should have fewer spots this year.
Also, the if numbers you look at change, the numbers at the pier should also change.

But for me, this has to do with living in 2015. Triathlon and fans of triathlon always saying that the sport is so young and keen on innovation.
Well, not when it comes to WTC/Ironman.
The sad part is wtc/Ironman's argument.
I have no clue what the CEO is quiet on this issue, other than that I can speculate that he thinks women should have fewer spots.
Quote Reply
Re: My beef (in alignment to) 50 women to Kona [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for taking the time to look. I just did a quick glance and hopefully I was clear about saying this was not science. I've noticed in general that the coverage is much better, I just found it interesting given the controversy with Beth's interview. .

I did check your interview page, there are 8 interviews articles with women out of 25 total. Getting there.

Yeah, I know, I can't help it. The LR has been a terrible influence.

Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let's take this all up a level. Why do professional triathletes exist?

• To the operators of the sport, it's a way to showcase the best of the best and provide both motivation and inspiration.
• To endemic (and some non-endemic) businesses, it's a way of formally aligning your product and brand with high performing individuals who contribute to the event, sport, community, etc... Hopefully pros will also compel others (fans) to buy the products and services with which they're associated.

The constraint at hand is how do you define a professional, ~and~, how does one determine the capacity of a championship event? I cannot tell you either of these things. Sure Tennis does it one way, skiing does it another, and running does it their way. I'd like to think that if 100 men all ran 2:10 this year and all wanted to run Boston, they'd be able to race elite. I'd also like to think that if 100 women ran 2:25, they'd be able to compete. (*referenced times are purely hyperbolic)

Unfortunately at this moment Triathlon doesn't work this way – from the very TOP, down. I struggle to wrap my head around how one in a leadership role can constrain opportunity based on historical data.

I'd like to think that we can all look at this "problem" and say: Hey, let's give it a go with a couple of years of equality, and if it turns out that 50 pro women don't show up and competitively "throw down", well, back to the whiteboard.

~DE
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think that the overall FPROs field being smaller, and the fact that they get less opportunity at the very top of the sport, is somewhat of a chicken and egg problem.

I would bet that there are talented FOP female AGers who either didn't pick up their pro card, or who picked up their pro card but never made the leap to full time training, because they felt that there weren't enough opportunities for them to make a living in long distance tri as things currently stand.

As a result, the overall quality of the FPRO field has suffered.

This in turn leads to fewer slots at Kona under the vague justification of the "smaller/shallower FPRO field" argument (which I'm not saying is untrue per se, but that we should examine why this is the case and remedy it).

Which leads to women not going pro...

WTC (ha! as if they're reading this!) It's no big deal to put 15 more FPRO bikes on the pier, whatever you may say. Just cut a handful of lottery/legacy/sponsor/celebrity spots if space really is that tight.
So what if the slowest FPROs are proportionally slower than the slowest MPROs at first? Who is that hurting?
Many sponsors give bonuses for racing at Kona, give the MOP FPROs the chance to make money. Maybe they will be able to devote more time to training next season as a result of having increased financial security.
Do the decent thing (even if it's perhaps not statistically congruent at this point), make the leap, and offer female pros a helping hand - I wager that the FPRO field would be enlarged and improved within a few years as a result.
Plus, you may just gain some support as a company. God forbid, people may even start to somewhat like you again.

My 2c

Liam
Last edited by: Liaman: Apr 4, 15 17:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DNF rate is irrelevant. But, as you bring it up, in the past 4 years, you've got 76% of males finishing and 79% of females. This counts DNFs and DNSs equally. Not much of a difference across gender.

Again, 2015 or not, Ironman has 58% as many female pros as it does male pros. It provides 70% as many slots to it's World Championships, so on a proportionate basis the female pros are overrepresented. People think it should automatically be 100% just because it's 2015, but I'm not convinced. Again, if the WC were truly the creme de la creme and there were only 10 or 15 slots, then I would be convinced. But, as the numbers get large - and 50 is bordering on that - I am not convinced.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would assume DNF numbers for men would be higher anyways. No point in continuing if you're having a bad day and that far out of the money. Since there are more males that far out of the money more DNFs
Quote Reply
Re: My beef (in alignment to) 50 women to Kona [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or women are just tougher?

Tongue

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"just did a quick glance and hopefully I was clear about saying this was not science."

that's okay. i just felt it appropriate to add a truth that the quick glance failed to demonstrate.

"I just found it interesting given the controversy with Beth's interview"

herbert clearly found compelling in THIS interview - uniquely, unlike the great majority of his or our interviews - the question of juggling family and job. it's something he deals with in his own personal life. the typical interview is, as i've noted, less afield of training and racing. maybe after your thousandth interview you start to cast about for topics beyond the ordinary, i don't know.

"
I did check your interview page, there are 8 interviews articles with women out of 25 total. Getting there."

let's talk about this. some of these interviews were with bike engineers. we just don't know of any female bike engineers or designers to talk to. if you can find me these, i'm happy to interview them.

otherwise, there are 2 men for every woman in triathlon in the countries where women have the highest ratios of participation. then it quickly falls off: 3-to-1, 6-to-1, 10-to-1. in the pro ranks, there just are a lot more men than women. it is my guess that we've interviewed well more pro women (or just women) than anyone else in the history of triathlon publications. this just creates a problem of numbers.
we can only interview the pro women so many times before we run out and we start interviewing them all over again. which we do.

if you are saying that we just need to interview 1 woman for every 1 man, and anything less is just "getting there," i don't agree, and i'm just going to have to take a kicking in the shins from you on that one.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: My beef (in alignment to) 50 women to Kona [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If there are 50 pro women at Kona that would open up your interview pool a bit.

Just bringing it back around to the original topic before we go completely off the rails.

Jen

Quote Reply

Prev Next