Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
My Wildflower bike split goal
Quote | Reply
Only done Wildflower once few years ago and this was my first ever 70.3 so I had no idea what I was doing. At that time my bike split was 3:47. I was riding an aluminum road bike and that climb destroyed me.

This winter I decided to get serious about structured training. I signed up for Trainerroad and after two months of training (I'm in the middle of Sweet Spot base, middle distance) my FTP went from 192 to 227. I'm now also riding a TT bike. I still have some weight to lose (ideally 20 lbs but would be good even if it's just 10 lbs). The weight is not coming off as fast as I hoped, but I'll be patient and keep working on what I eat.

So my goal is to do a 2:50 bike split and it's one of two A-races for the season. I think it's stretching it for me but I might as well aim high.

So what would you do if this was your goal besides what I'm already doing? I'm going to continue to train consistently with TR, and of course not forget about other sports. In Jan / Feb I'll start doing my long rides outdoors. There are hills nearby me - not as hard as the one at Wildflower but hills nonetheless.

What else should I do and is this goal realistic? What helped you go from below average bike rider to the upper half of finishers?

Would love some input.
Quote Reply
Re: My Wildflower bike split goal [jaskew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Saddle time, saddle time, saddle time. Cycling is really one of those sports where you really have to put the time in if you really want to be in the upper end of the sport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you get a professional bike fit (not some guy eyeballing your seat height)?
Is your nutrition dialed in?

I think there are probably a few other 'low-hanging fruits' before looking at other time savings.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!
Quote Reply
Re: My Wildflower bike split goal [datscha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
datscha wrote:
Did you get a professional bike fit (not some guy eyeballing your seat height)?
Is your nutrition dialed in?

I think there are probably a few other 'low-hanging fruits' before looking at other time savings.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!

Thanks - not yet! Only got the TT bike few months ago. It feels comfortable and I've been using it for the trainer, but still need to get it fitted. Good reminder.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My first 70.3: had been biking for about a year but not seriously (maybe 3 hours a week) every month until a few months leading up to the race I got up to 5-6. Didn't get my bike fit, rode stock wheels and shitty tires (my back tire had been on my trainer for 9 months), no power meter and didn't start doing interval training until 2 months before the race. I rode a 2:50. Put in the work on the saddle and you'll crush it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would say a more realistic goal would be 3:00. For 2:50, if you rode correctly to run well, would take an ftp around 260 with a solid triathlon position.

-------------------------------
I'm faster in Kilometers!
Wattie Ink Triathlon Team
Powered by Accelerate 3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wildflower is a tough course and you don't want to destroy yourself chasing a bike split because you have a really hard to coming afterwards. My fastest bike split this year was 2:06 and I rode a 2:30 at Wildflower. Granted there was a 2 min penalty in there and it wasn't my best day, but still, that should give you an idea of how tough the course can be.

Ride a lot. Ride hard. Work on dropping the weight. Those are the best things you can do. Don't blow yourself up and walk the run. If you're like most people you'll end up walking one or two of the hills on the run anyway.

Quote | Reply
JBADGER wrote:
My first 70.3: had been biking for about a year but not seriously (maybe 3 hours a week) every month until a few months leading up to the race I got up to 5-6. Didn't get my bike fit, rode stock wheels and shitty tires (my back tire had been on my trainer for 9 months), no power meter and didn't start doing interval training until 2 months before the race. I rode a 2:50. Put in the work on the saddle and you'll crush it.

no disrespect, but was that first 70.3 @ Wildflower? If it was then, I'll quote Wayne and Garth "I'm not worthy"

I barely broke 2:46 this year - it was no walk (bike) in the park. The hill coming out of T2 and Nasty Grade aren't anything to trifle with.

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Re: My Wildflower bike split goal [manofthewoods] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
manofthewoods wrote:
JBADGER wrote:

no disrespect, but was that first 70.3 @ Wildflower? If it was then, I'll quote Wayne and Garth "I'm not worthy"

I barely broke 2:46 this year - it was no walk (bike) in the park. The hill coming out of T2 and Nasty Grade aren't anything to trifle with.

No I almost certain that this guy did not ride 2:50 at Wildflower....after all Wildflower is not a 70.3. 70.3 only applies to Ironman branded races!!! There is only one Wildflower and it is not a 70.3 and any sub 2:50 is not something that happens rolling off the couch off 3 hours per week of training! If you can do 2:50 at WF off 3 hrs per week, then with proper training, you're probably a 2:30 athlete at WF.
Quote Reply
Re: My Wildflower bike split goal [Sbradley11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sbradley11 wrote:
Wildflower is a tough course and you don't want to destroy yourself chasing a bike split because you have a really hard to coming afterwards. My fastest bike split this year was 2:06 and I rode a 2:30 at Wildflower. Granted there was a 2 min penalty in there and it wasn't my best day, but still, that should give you an idea of how tough the course can be.

Ride a lot. Ride hard. Work on dropping the weight. Those are the best things you can do. Don't blow yourself up and walk the run. If you're like most people you'll end up walking one or two of the hills on the run anyway.

Thanks. Good tips. I do have a close to 3 hour split in a mostly flat 70.3 that I did a year ago on a road bike with about two months of unstructured training. So I'm hoping for some TT bike time gains and training paying off.
Quote Reply
Re: My Wildflower bike split goal [Sbradley11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree. I rode a sub-2:20 later in the year and a 2:40 at WF. The hardest part of WF for me was theroad surface for all those miles in the middle. That just sucked so much energy from me. Next time I race it I will plan to use 25c tires that's for sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jaskew wrote:
Sbradley11 wrote:

Thanks. Good tips. I do have a close to 3 hour split in a mostly flat 70.3 that I did a year ago on a road bike with about two months of unstructured training. So I'm hoping for some TT bike time gains and training paying off.

A lot of people could roll out of bed and do a 3 hour split on a flat 70.3. That's an entire world of difference compared to Wildflower. A 3 hour split on a flat race with smooth pavement would be closer to 4 hours at Wildflower. At worst you don't know what you are talking about wrt Wildflower, at best your talk about the prep is completely out of context and thus misleading. I am going to lean towards the latter. My best bike split on a flat 70.3 with good pavement was 2:16 in recent years and off more watts, I only split 2:48 at Wildflower this year. I also think the first run hurt some of the snap in my legs by the time I got to the back 1/3 of the course (Nasty grade + ride back to camp ground) and would have likely had more legs for that part of the course without run number 1. As if the WF bike course was not already hard enough that run 1 just put it all over the top.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For context, I just looked at my file from Wildflower 2015: my bike split was 2:39, and AP and NP figures were 213 and 235 respectively (I'm 6'1" and 155 lbs, and was riding a P5 with a disc and deep section front in a reasonably good position). Obv. YMMV depending on your position, weight and whether your saddle is too high, but you can probably use that to back out a WAG about what you would need to put out in order to go 2:50.
Quote Reply
Re: My Wildflower bike split goal [gord] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is my wildflower file:

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/764022035

Note that the bike split here says 2:45, but it was more like 2:48 because the Garmin did not pick up initially for around 3-4 minutes. NP was 220, AP 206, I am 5'6" 139 lbs for that race and not particularly aero. Equipment with P3 with dual Bonetrager 70mm Aelous carbon rims, and Specialized Evade helmet, tight singlet (no skin suit). Was waaaay off the back of 50-54 race winner manofthewoods, but it was enough for a 2nd with a really really really slow run (1:48). To put it in perspective at Muskoka 70.3 I biked 6W harder, biked around 10 min faster and ran 10 minutes faster (1:38 if I recall correctly).

The Muskoka course has more vertical than Wildflower, but slightly better pavement and no single large climb, less wind and slightly longer (I had Muskoka at 93.x K, most people measure it at 94K)...that was my best race of the year...nailed all three sports which I can't say about Wildflower:

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/824862864
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jaskew wrote:
Only done Wildflower once few years ago and this was my first ever 70.3 so I had no idea what I was doing. At that time my bike split was 3:47. I was riding an aluminum road bike and that climb destroyed me.

This winter I decided to get serious about structured training. I signed up for Trainerroad and after two months of training (I'm in the middle of Sweet Spot base, middle distance) my FTP went from 192 to 227. I'm now also riding a TT bike. I still have some weight to lose (ideally 20 lbs but would be good even if it's just 10 lbs). The weight is not coming off as fast as I hoped, but I'll be patient and keep working on what I eat.

So my goal is to do a 2:50 bike split and it's one of two A-races for the season. I think it's stretching it for me but I might as well aim high.

So what would you do if this was your goal besides what I'm already doing? I'm going to continue to train consistently with TR, and of course not forget about other sports. In Jan / Feb I'll start doing my long rides outdoors. There are hills nearby me - not as hard as the one at Wildflower but hills nonetheless.

What else should I do and is this goal realistic? What helped you go from below average bike rider to the upper half of finishers?

Would love some input.

What was your final time?
That bike course was ridiculously hard. My fastest was 2:36 and I killed myself on the bike. Had a 30 min swim as well so I was in 1st place/AG by a long margin.
DIED on the run and barely finished; 5:28 I think. Dropped from 1st place AG to 14th.

2:40 was pretty much a great effort as I recall.
A friend of mine went 2:31, something I just can't imagine.
Quote Reply
Re: My Wildflower bike split goal [twain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He hasn't logged in to ST in the past 7 years so I wouldn't hold your breath for an answer. :-)

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: My Wildflower bike split goal [Fastyellow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Last edited by: Pwraddr: Mar 1, 24 11:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I see this thread about Wildflower so I open it and I see a poster (ME) posted about his race there in 2015 vs Muskoka 2015 and I see the power I rode in both races 9 years ago in a half Ironman is more than a 10 minute segment on my trainer last night!!! So depressing!
Quote Reply
Re: My Wildflower bike split goal [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
I see this thread about Wildflower so I open it and I see a poster (ME) posted about his race there in 2015 vs Muskoka 2015 and I see the power I rode in both races 9 years ago in a half Ironman is more than a 10 minute segment on my trainer last night!!! So depressing!
Hey Dev!
I'll pile on the depression band wagon.
My low back limits my "run" (run is a wild exaggeration). 9 min pace would be blazing.
Bike feels good, but I'm certain someone is dragging my brakes.
Swim? Old medium efforts are now all out "best" times.
Looking at me; nobody would accuse me of Mr. T
Do miss seeing ya. Been too long.

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Re: My Wildflower bike split goal [manofthewoods] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
manofthewoods wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

Hey Dev!
I'll pile on the depression band wagon.
My low back limits my "run" (run is a wild exaggeration). 9 min pace would be blazing.
Bike feels good, but I'm certain someone is dragging my brakes.
Swim? Old medium efforts are now all out "best" times.
Looking at me; nobody would accuse me of Mr. T
Do miss seeing ya. Been too long.

Hey I am coming to Oceanside to shuffle around that course. 12 lbs over Wildflower 2015 weight too. It would be glorious if I can average 9 min mile pace as that was my pace at Lahti Worlds (I think I ran 1:54 so a touch under 9 min). Right now I am panicking and may need to go on the Macca approved cabbage and water diet so I don't do a 2:30 run split. As for brakes dragging, my power meter keeps giving me these weird readings saying that 170W feels as hard as 230W used to (plus dragging around excess bioprene around all of my body).

In any case, I am going "all in" and I am registered for Oceanside and got a deferral from last year's St. George to this year and then got a wildfire induced deferral from 70.3 Tremblant and I registered for 70.3 Muskoka so I got a half IM every month from April to July trying to act like I am 40 on the verge of being 60. I don't even know I will make it to the start line for all of the above but may brain and bank balance seems to write cheques that my body likely can't cash.

So see ya at Oceanside ? Or St. George ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
twain wrote:
jaskew wrote:

Would love some input.

What was your final time?
That bike course was ridiculously hard. My fastest was 2:36 and I killed myself on the bike. Had a 30 min swim as well so I was in 1st place/AG by a long margin.
DIED on the run and barely finished; 5:28 I think. Dropped from 1st place AG to 14th.

2:40 was pretty much a great effort as I recall.
A friend of mine went 2:31, something I just can't imagine.
'

Thanks for sending me the athlinks link for me offline. I went back into history and looked up my times at Wilflower 1996 (32/2:38/1:29 = 4:43). How did I get so slow....back to depression mode !!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

Thanks for sending me the athlinks link for me offline. I went back into history and looked up my times at Wilflower 1996 (32/2:38/1:29 = 4:43). How did I get so slow....back to depression mode !!!!

That is a spectacular performance!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Great performance by Dev!

There's plenty of elevation gain on the bike that keeps the average speed down, and a 1:29 half marathon that includes climbing up a MAJOR hill coming right out of transition.

Chapeau!

twain wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

Fast-Finishes.com
Triathlon and Running Race Timing
Athletic Event Management
Quote Reply
Re: My Wildflower bike split goal [themuse1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
themuse1 wrote:

Great performance by Dev!

There's plenty of elevation gain on the bike that keeps the average speed down, and a 1:29 half marathon that includes climbing up a MAJOR hill coming right out of transition.

Chapeau!

twain wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

Haha, that was 1996. Today is 2024. I think I could do 33 min swim and 2:50 bike on the old WF course, but the run would be more like 2:10 now. It is so pathetic. My sub 6 per km pace steady run days feel like my old sub 6 per mile steady run days !!! It is helpful to be 30 years old vs 58!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Still have to give you props, Dev!

The 55 mile bike course has over 3800 feet of climbing, and some of the old slowtwitch threads show 5345' of climbing from 2009. At any rate, there are hills!

The run course has over 2000' of elevation gain as well, according to slowtwitch.

Seems like all the fun started on Nasty Grade right after crossing the bridge with the metal surface. I think they sometimes even put plywood on the bridge to protect bike tires.

Good times: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFjJp9aSQ6Q

Fast-Finishes.com
Triathlon and Running Race Timing
Athletic Event Management
Quote Reply

Prev Next