Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
My Cervelo S5 VWD Road/Tri Bike Build
Quote | Reply
Background:

I’ve searched around for quite a while on the subject of having a single bike for both training and racing. I know it is nice to have a road and tri specific bike, but that’s double the space and twice the maintenance. I’ve had my r3 and p2 for a while now, and I have always wanted di2, which could have been run externally on either one of my bikes, but I also have always wanted fully internal routing.

I’ve decided to sell/part out my Cervelo P2 and R3 and move to a S5 with di2. The major parts I will be keeping to put on the S5 will be my Rotor 3D aero crank with P2M power meter, Easton EC90 Aero Wheelset, Adamo Podium Saddle, Tri Rig Gamma Aero Extensions, Omega front and rear brakes, and Sigma flat stem (new model).

New parts I will be adding will be an aero drop bar (3T Zefiro) with 3T wide aerobar clamps, alloy compact cradles and pads, and Shimano Dura-Ace-7971 Bar End Shifters. I picked up the Zefiro Pro areo drop bar on ChainReactionCycles.com for $287.00 and plan on selling the stock 3T Egronova LTD bars to make up for most of the cost.

Old Bikes:
54cm P2 (90mm TriRig Sigma Stem)
56cm R3 (110mm Ritchey Stem)

The New Bike:

Enter the 2012 Cervelo S5 VWD with Dura-Ace 7970 10sp di2. I found one on eBay and settled with the seller outside of eBay for much less sans wheel set/crank/saddle. I went with a 54 due to the dual position seat post and having always felt too stretched out on my R3 decided the 54 S5 geometry would be right for me. I have no problem with the 7970 and 10sp because all of my wheel sets are 10sp and have no interest in 11sp at the moment.

Here is the eBay listing photo. Bike had 30 miles on it, owner bought it for his wife and she rode it twice. Shipped beautifully packed with “junk” wheel on the back to protect the hanger/battery mounts. Turns out that rear wheel (Shimano Ultegra 6500 Mavic Open Pro) cleaned up nicely and spins smooth after a bearing service/clean and will be used as my dedicated trainer wheel!

The Plan:
I finally purchased a torque wrench so I can install the TriRig Sigma stem/3T wide aero clamps when they arrive later this week. Then I will install the front and rear TriRig Omega Brakes/Aero extensions to clean up the front end. I'll be running the 7971 bar end shifters directly to the STI-7900 levers and I believe I should be able to remove/install them rather quickly if needed.

Here is how it is currently sitting as I took it to my LBS to get the P2M crank installed and I have my parts waiting to be installed!

Stay Tuned ST!

Things I’m selling:

54cm P2 frame/fork/seat post
Dura-Ace 7900 Parts (Brake Levers, Bar End Shifters, Chain, FD, RD)
Profile Design Carbon Cobra Wing Base Bar and Aero Bar clamps/Pads

R3:
Complete bike sans wheel set/cages/pedals or part out

Slowtwitch.com Classifieds Listing Links:
P2:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...rch_string=;#5219304

R3:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...t_reply;so=ASC;mh=25

Random Parts:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...t_reply;so=ASC;mh=25
Last edited by: kppolich: Feb 4, 16 18:13
Quote Reply
Re: My S5 VWD Do-It-All Bike Build [kppolich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure that an S5 VWD with 10-speed Di2 is better than owning both a P2 and an R3. I certainly wouldn't make that trade.
Quote Reply
Re: My S5 VWD Do-It-All Bike Build [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live in a sub 500sqft apartment with my fiancee. She has 2 bikes, I have 1 bike and 2 frames (used to be 4 frames, soon to be 2 bikes and 1 frame).

I almost went to an S5 last year but held off based on cost. I was racing on a 50cm road frame built as a tri bike with a fast forward seat post. The S5 was one of the only bikes I could get to fit my position.

I started a quest for one bike when I snapped that rear derailleur hanger and sucked it into the wheel. I broke spokes, derailleur, and chain all on a 2 mile ride to work. I picked up an S Works Transition frame and figured it could be my dedicated road/tri bike and that I would run Ultegra Di2 on drop bars with the R671 shifters much like OP intends to do. Road position was impossible, my back was destroyed after 25 miles and I couldn't average more than 16mph. Took everything off the frame and put it in storage.

I immediately went to eBay and picked up a Raleigh RXC Pro (have been itching to get into CX) knowing that I'd be much better off with a CX/road machine. Built it up with that same Di2 and have been riding that all year. Positioning is perfect and shifting is flawless. I'm comfortable on the hoods and the drops. It does everything I need it for except short distance tris. Based on some back issues, I run 148mm cranks from Mark at bikesmithdesign.com - I've tried to run them on the road but the stroke is too short.

So, after a few attempts in the quest for one bike, I've abandoned it in favor of rebuilding my tri bike with internally wired Di2 (but external battery so I can share between bikes). Since both of my bikes can't live in our apartment (we already have 2 mounted on the wall in the living room), the tri bike will live pretty much race-ready in our storage locker. While having one dedicated bike like this didn't work for me, it certainly can for OP. My friend and tri teammate just had the 6th fastest bike split on his Tarmac at our last race (24.4mph). He knows he's giving up some free speed but if you have the engine, you can still lay down great bike splits. It will all come down to your positioning and if you can hit both the road and TT positions comfortably and efficiently.

Good luck OP, let us know how it goes.
Quote Reply
Re: My S5 VWD Do-It-All Bike Build (TriRig/Zefiro) [kppolich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Made a little progress today. P2M Crank installed as well as TriRig Omega front and rear brakes. Sigma Stem should be here tomorrow. Following that I will cut the steerer accordingly and route the cables and clean up the front end. All cables will be black and run through the bars. Waiting on some longer 5mm Hex bolts to attach the extensions too.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First ride today after an at home bike fit on the trainer. Still need to get the TriRig Sigma stem on there and clean up the cables on the front. Can't wait to cut that steerer knob off!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Great to see your progress, I'm looking at doing the same road/tri convertible with a 2014 Cervelo S3. One hesitation is I'm not sure I can get a tri seat tube angle with the S3 using the S5 seatpost installed with the clamp in the forward position. Any idea what your "effective" seat tube angle will be with your seat as forward as you can safely get it?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you considered wall storage options? I lived in a smallish apartment when I was an ibanker in Manhattan and I made multiple bikes work with wall-mount storage options. It would be a shame to give up a P2 and R3 in exchange for an S5. An S5 is basically like a crappy tri bike and a decent road bike. Too much of a compromise if you're serious about training. Also I disagree about the twice the maintenance thing. Generally when you have two bikes you're not riding twice as much, so each bike requires less service. Additionally, I consider maintenance to include having the tools and fluids handy to service the bikes; it's not like you need to have twice as many tools and bottles of chain lube just because you have two bikes.
Quote Reply
Re: My S5 VWD Do-It-All Bike Build (TriRig/Zefiro) [DudeItsADell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Crappy tribike? Aside from any funky geometry needs, in what what is this true?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some progress. Bike fit done, steerer cut. cables tucked. Still need to throw on the areo bars, but for now, ill be riding.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Too bad you can make the one cable on the left hidden a bit better. I know it is tough but it would just make it that much more amazing.
Quote Reply
Re: My S5 VWD Do-It-All Bike Build (TriRig/Zefiro) [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I could run a longer housing and try to tuck it under the sigma stem cable cover. BUT, there is already a lot going on under there with the junction box/status di2 switch and front brake cable entry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought I'd post this here to see if the wheels start turning.

With Di2 and cable couples like these, would it be possible to swap over two separate cockpits?

Quote Reply
Re: My S5 VWD Do-It-All Bike Build (TriRig/Zefiro) [InWyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it would be very east. I'd say 10-15 min swap if you had everything setup right on both. It would be very easy on those external brake cables like you have pictured. di2 has been plug and play at the front junction and is only getting easier with the new eTube wiring and 3/5 port front junction boxes. It did cross my mind to have 2 cockpits, but right now the 3T brackets bolt on and off fast enough to these bars and I have the di2 bar end shifters that I can plug into my STI shifters in under 5 minutes if I need/want them for tri/tt stuff. Great thought, but I've been downsizing and have a hard enough time finding space for my extra wheelset and trainer/trainer wheel. My wish is for electronic, wireless everything. Shifting and braking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will never have two bikes with bikes like yours, the Venge and the Felt AR, and had told myself that I would buy a new bike until I could get an aero road that would be an honest dual purpose rig without sacrificing much on either end...looks like that day is rapidly approaching... Not the risk taker to be the first one though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Local sprint tri tomorrow here in Iowa City. Aero bars on, garmin out front mount has been removed and computer will be mounted BTA eventually. I'll also throw my torpedo cage BTA and a small bottle for the 15mi bike tomorrow instead of having a bottle behind the saddle. Man, electronic shifting on the hudz and bar ends is a dream. Effortless and fun!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like it, looks slick! How does it handle? What sort of crank length?... I only ask because with your seat that far back your hip angle must be pretty closed.

I've always liked this concept but could never "deal" with the aero penalty imposed by drops.
Quote Reply
Re: My S5 VWD Do-It-All Bike Build (TriRig/Zefiro) [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Handles OK. Definitely better than my P2, plus I'm more confident handling on the huds or in the drops compared to the bull bar. 172.5 cranks. Toying with the idea of having 2 cockpits, but don't want to this season. Rides very nice and I'm happy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just curious (I'm attempting something similar), wouldn't placing the k-edge mount in front of the sigma defeat some of its aero purpose? How do you like the Sigma stem when its purely in the road configuration? And that's a lot of stack you have...
Quote Reply
Re: My S5 VWD Do-It-All Bike Build (TriRig/Zefiro) [kkcy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Garmin Out-Front mount lines up pretttttty nice with the Sigma Stem, not too concerned about the full areo benefits of the stem when its in a true road bike setup. The garmin mount is and will always be taken OFF when the tri bars are on. I have a mount for between the bars to install here shortly, see picture below. The stack, Yeahhhh-- i wish i could slam it, but its not in the cards with the stem situation and everything else. My position feels great after my bike fit at Geoffs's Bike/Ski in Iowa City.

When its straight up road setup, I have zero complaints with the sigma stem. cleans everything up nice and eventually when Nick @TriRig releases the Garmin mount for the stem I will use that instead of the Garmin out-front. At the end of the day, I wish the brake cable was hidden but I will get over it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's actually possible to route the rear brake cable through the back of the stem, where the di2 cable goes in. I did that and don't seem to have problems with braking. Makes for a much cleaner line too
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
99% done.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steerer cut? I thought the Sigma stem was not meant for spacers underneath it.

-Alex

Quote Reply
Re: My S5 VWD Do-It-All Bike Build (TriRig/Zefiro) [DudeItsADell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DudeItsADell wrote:
Have you considered wall storage options? I lived in a smallish apartment when I was an ibanker in Manhattan and I made multiple bikes work with wall-mount storage options. It would be a shame to give up a P2 and R3 in exchange for an S5. An S5 is basically like a crappy tri bike and a decent road bike. Too much of a compromise if you're serious about training. Also I disagree about the twice the maintenance thing. Generally when you have two bikes you're not riding twice as much, so each bike requires less service. Additionally, I consider maintenance to include having the tools and fluids handy to service the bikes; it's not like you need to have twice as many tools and bottles of chain lube just because you have two bikes.

"Decent Road Bike"?

-Alex

Quote Reply
Re: My S5 VWD Do-It-All Bike Build (TriRig/Zefiro) [bostonalex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trim your fork's steerer tube so that the top of the steerer tube rests approximately 3mm below the Sigma's headset cap. Note: The Sigma is designed to be used without any spacers above the stem. However, if you are still refining your stem position, it can be temporarily used with spacers above the stem, but only with the cable cover removed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Took it out for a few pics today. Crazy windy here in Iowa. Of course it tipped over and bent the rear der. hangar. Tack on another 30 for that.Good thing i'll be in marathon mode for the next month, new wheels mfg hangar on the way. Life could be worse!

Quote Reply

Prev Next