Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

My Auburn bike training route is not as safe as I thought.
Quote | Reply
Weather cleared up today so went out for my Auburn bike training ride. About 10 miles going up the hill, I run into a bunch of cars stopped on the road. I go by and see a
bike rider down on the ground, bleeding from the nose. I missed this by a minute or two. I keep going and a few minutes later here come all the safety vehicles. I do my turn around at 12 miles, and go back to the scene. He is going but all the safety folks are still there. So I stop and ask what happened, since I was so close to it. I guess a cement truck was driving the road,
hit an oak tree branch over the road, broke it off and down on the road it went. The biker was going down the slight hill doing probably 30 to 35 MPH. I guess the truck was right in front of him so when the branch hit the road, he had no time to do anything but hit it at 35. Not sure how badly he was hurt. Boy, was that close.

Then, as I am coming back, a big old school bus sees me, but decides to pull RIGHT out in front of me!!!! Luckily I was not going too fast since it was up hill, but I sure wish I had gotten the bus number.

So, glad I am home safe in one piece so I can go up to my parents for my 50th birthday dinner.

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: My Auburn bike training route is not as safe as I thought. [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Biking is like flying in an airplane. Every time you get back and you are safe and sound is a good ride/trip. It's not if, but when you will be in an accident riding your bike.

Stay safe.

Dave Stark
dreamcatcher@astound.net
USAC & USAT level 2 certified coach
Quote Reply
Re: My Auburn bike training route is not as safe as I thought. [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"to my parents for my 50th "

Happy Birthday!! The big five-oh. That's a big'un.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As the great American cyclist/triathlete (a little strange perhaps too), John Howard said, "there are 2 kinds of cyclists, those that have crashed and those that are going to".
Congrats on making it to 50! Happy B-day!

Great, another old guy to beat me in my age group!

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Re: My Auburn bike training route is not as safe as I thought. [Karl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought I would prove the cyclists theory wrong until I crashed at vineman. I have my broken collar bone to prove I am a real biker now. :o)

Yea, I thought by getting older, racing would get easier. NOT! Oh well, its the fun of staying healthy that keeps us going. If we can last until 80 or 90,
maybe we can be called "great". :o)

Dave

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Re: My Auburn bike training route is not as safe as I thought. [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I not sure whats more fun. Me being 50, or my parents now having to say they have a kid who is 50. :o)
My dad just turned 70 this year, and my mom is not there yet. I have been very lucky to have "young" parents
who are still around and able to easily do stuff with us.

Man, half a century, boy that hurts.

Okay, its 7 pm, time to go get my beauty sleep. :o)

Dave

Quote Reply
Re: My Auburn bike training route is not as safe as I thought. [Karl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I HATE that quote, it scares me soooo much.

Dave - happy birthday!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: My Auburn bike training route is not as safe as I thought. [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do not like the quote either, but I think about it and try to be extra careful out there. Ride safely.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happy b-day Dave.

Re: My Auburn bike training route is not as safe as I thought. [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks.

Dave

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happ Birthday!!!

Did you get those damn wheels yet? When you do slap them on the bike and take some pics!!!

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Re: My Auburn bike training route is not as safe as I thought. [SwBkRn44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope;. :o( They were ordered 2 weeks ago. LBS said he was told in 4 weeks. I called Zipp to get status, was told the western rep would call me back,
and still waiting. :o( Am still hoping to have for Wildflower.

Dave

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I personally would amend that theory to: Those who are going to crash and those who are going to crash AGAIN.

Ed

LLLEEEEEEEEEEEERRRROOOYYY JEEENNNNNKKKIIINNNNNS!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happy Birthday! What did your parents cook you for dinner? I have to put my request in to my parents for the bday next week!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happy 50th, Dave, and glad to hear you made it through your ride okay...
Quote Reply
Re: My Auburn bike training route is not as safe as I thought. [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got my special Hamburger pie from my mom, and home made ice cream. I ate half of the hamburger pie.
My reward after my 3 hours of training. :o)

My mom also made me cookies. She makes the greatest cookies!!

Dave

Quote Reply
Re: My Auburn bike training route is not as safe as I thought. [Mike C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Mike. I still bugs me that it could easily have been me who hit that tree limb and taken my entire season out. Again has me making sure
I step back and do the training for the right reasons. One second one can be in the best shape of their life, and the next be taken out so
race times, awards, etc, really should not be what I strive for. Its the people, exercise, etc. Things that I can continue in to the future
whether I am able to race, race at all, or even race fast.

Dave

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well said, Dave.

Have a happy--and safe--half-century celebration!
Quote Reply