Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Muskoka Bike Course
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have a Muskoka bike course profile, or better yet, has anyone created a course for the Computrainer?

Short of that your own interpretation of the course would be helpful.

Thanks...dietrying
Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka Bike Course [dietrying] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, not actual info, just my interpretation... IIRC rolling hills muskoka style. Nothing terribly huge like Milton or Niagara, but bigger than Guelph. More on par with Peterborough.

Hope that helps... if I recall correctly they had a course profile posted at the race last year, so one should exist.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's the link to the Trisports map:

http://www.trisportcanada.com/pdf/muskoka_maps.pdf

It's not a great map, but it's all that's out there. From what I can recall of the race, it was tougher than Peterborough, but not as hard as Milton. It can be pretty hot, but no big climbs. It did seemed to be constantly rolling.

Also, bring some sandles for the walk from the bike transition to the swim start. It's a bit of a hike with lots of small rocks and pebbles to make it unpleasant in bare feet.

Good Luck,

Jeff

-
Naturally Fit Coaching
naturallyfitjeff@gmail.com
facebook.com/pages/Naturally-Fit-Coaching
twitter.com/jeffbabister
Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka Bike Course [paulgraham.ca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
would you ride a disc on the course?

------------------------------------------------------------------
"The aspect of sport that you learn is that you have your good times and your bad times, but you share it with great people." - George Gregan

Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka Bike Course [Ted McGregor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't own a disc, so I haven't really considered it... but if you look at the photos from the event, it would appear that about half of the pro's used one...

http://www.photoreflect.com/...humbs?event=037C007F
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely go with a disc if you have one. Great course, some short challenging climbs. The climbs hurt more than you think they will. Just when you get into a nice rythym in a big gear aero postion, you get a climb.

Trisport puts on A+ races.

http://www.mountainmettle.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's a profile. I have always ridden a disc on the course. I think it's a surprisingly difficult course, especially if you go out too hard.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't worry about doing a Muskoka CT course. Just ride the Zofingen course and if you can break 1:30 on that you can break 1:30 in Muskoka...in fact, if you can break 1:30 on the CT Zofingen course, you might even be in the running to kick Eric Fernando's ass at Muskoka...

As for the question about disk, yeah, I am sure it will work, but you'll gain more by learning how to spend most of your time on the rollers bolted onto the aerobars, as opposed to sitting up or getting out of the saddle and turning into a full blown sail the very moment the terrain goes skyward. There are some hills where you can stay aero for ~80% of the hill, stay in the same gear and stomp over the top out of the saddle and get immediately aero again, minimizing loss of speed. I see lots of dudes sitting up losing all their momentum on that course right at the bottom of hills.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I owned a disk I would ride it there. I think that the gearing you use is way more relevant on a course like that than an extra 100-200g of wheel weight. I may even "wimp out" this year and try a 12-25 instead of my standard 11-21 to see if it will help me spin up the hills more effectively.
Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka Bike Course [paulgraham.ca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Milton's hilly?

I'm doing it for the first time this year.
Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka Bike Course [Sam McHugh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you will love it. :) It is semi hilly. One hill which goes straight up the escarpment and a couple of other shorter hills. That first one is a doozy though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, as Marcus said... just one big one (6th line hill). The rest aren't bad... small rolling hills really. If you're in town the day before I'd recommend riding the course, or driving it just to get an idea of what to expect... well, that's generally good practice for any event...
Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka Bike Course [Markus Mucus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool. I like hilly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
:) Well that first hill is REALLY hilly. Just watch out for the people in front of you who will just stop or fall over because they run out of steam. Happens all the time.
Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka Bike Course [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Allan, if you get the 48 tooth big ring and the 12-25, you'll be set up with the full Dev approved girly man gearing...

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka Bike Course [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks to all for the the Muskoka info. I haven't done any of the comparable races mentioned and I don't have a disc. For that matter, I don't even use the Alps races wheels I own. I prefer my Shimano training wheels and they proved successful at IM CDA last summer.

The Zofingin suggestion is great. I'll give a test ride this weekend and see if I can break 1:30:00!
Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka Bike Course [Markus Mucus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exactly why i hate that hill in the race. my brain, hands and feet are still frozen, then add in the folks that take that first bit waaaay too hard and they topple in the last bit. very annoying

k
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Speaking of the Muskoka race, does any one have any recommendations for where to stay. I'm aware there are accommodations listed on the race website, but was hoping for some personal insight from those who have done this race before.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Sam,

Just make sure you leave a little in your tank for the top of 6th line in Milton. I've ridden that hill a ton of times and it looks like it ends at a certain point, but it keeps going for a little while longer, so just be ready for it to hurt more than you expect.

Also, it is really steep, so really watch the other riders around you. I've not seen them fall over like the other guys said, but they do tend to radically swerve all over the place.

Good luck,

Jeff

-
Naturally Fit Coaching
naturallyfitjeff@gmail.com
facebook.com/pages/Naturally-Fit-Coaching
twitter.com/jeffbabister
Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka Bike Course [kansaiben] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have stayed at B & B's before, and it's pretty nice and very convenient. I have also stayed at hotels near and far, and was fine also.

Definitely eat at Treetops before the race, very nice place.
Quote Reply