Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Murphy's Law's East Coast Long-Course Smackdown Tour - 2009 [fred_h] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fred, I've never tried to peak for races. Too much can go wrong and with all your eggs in that 1 "A" race basket; bad luck can ruin your year. I'd rather strive for consistency than a peak. I race for fun, anyway, and it's more fun to be 90% all season than 100% one day, and 75% the rest of the time. Besides, I don't need to peak for AmZof to kick ML's skinny ass.

2015 American Zofingen Du is May 17.
R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Re: Murphy's Law's East Coast Long-Course Smackdown Tour - 2009 [tetsuoni] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rest assures I do not peak either and actually I have absolutely no idea how and when to peak (I guess reducing volume and intensity the week before is good enough to peak for that race?).

What I meant is maybe you should keep those extra pounds a little bit longer before you actually start losing them so they do not come back too early...

Fred.
Quote Reply
Re: Murphy's Law's East Coast Long-Course Smackdown Tour - 2009 [tetsuoni] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Chad, that McGovern is right here, taking on all comers. I'll need a few months to get back into shape, but get back into shape I shall.

I saw your Brightroom pictures. I guess "round" is a shape?

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Murphy's Law's East Coast Long-Course Smackdown Tour - 2009 [fred_h] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fred, I've been training heavy for 3 and 1/2 years now and still have 11 pounds to go, so don't worry.

R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Re: Murphy's Law's East Coast Long-Course Smackdown Tour - 2009 [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ML, ouch! Good one.

R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Re: Murphy's Law's East Coast Long-Course Smackdown Tour - 2009 [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, ML, since they were giving out pint glasses to finishers at nationals, and since I'm not drinking, and since you are drinking but didn't finish, would you like my pint glass?

R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought the round McGovern beat the ripped Michael Bakker. Or was there another race featuring Tetsuoni and Iguzani that was captured on Brightroom?

Weather for tomorrow's duathlon is 4C (at least no rain). This is around 30C colder than what I usually race in on this weekend in St. Croix! Fred, will you be there?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Hey, ML, since they were giving out pint glasses to finishers at nationals, and since I'm not drinking, and since you are drinking but didn't finish, would you like my pint glass?

Nah, that's OK - I still have my FIRST PLACE (in AG) BIG HONKIN' STEIN from AmZof last year. I won't go thirsty.

Speaking of which, I had a Saranac w/ my 2 chicken marsala chicken slices for dinner tonite.
mmmMMMMMmmm beer. It's not just for breakfast anymore. ;-)

They tried to offer me one of those pint glasses when I went over to the med tent, but I politely declined, as I had not earned one that day.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"They tried to offer me one of those pint glasses when I went over to the med tent, but I politely declined, as I had not earned one that day. "

No doubt if you had taken it and tried to use it you would get about half way through the pint and then have the sudden urge to quit drinking.
Quote Reply
Re: Murphy's Law's East Coast Long-Course Smackdown Tour - 2009 [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have NEVER DNF'd while drinking. A man has to have some pride.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Murphy's Law's East Coast Long-Course Smackdown Tour - 2009 [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ML doesn't have to quit drinking; he's got the metabolism of a humming bird.

R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK OK OK....my biking needs a lot of work....just finished the 5/38/5 duathlon in Cumberland near Ottawa. Cold and windy....did I say windy.

Anyway, run # 18:18 which INCLUDES T1 and run # 2 19:53 (includes T2). I was just around 17:50 for first run as I entered transtion.

The bike....well, let's not even talk about how much work that sport needs. 1:08 for 38.4K....YIKES, at this rate I better put the Kuota on eBAY. Thank god I set up this bike challenge cause I really do need some bike work.

Anyway, 10 weeks to the day that I broke my ankle and 5 weeks after starting running and I am quite happy with both runs.

Message to ML....I'm not going to keel over on the Tupper Lake run that easily, however, it is clear the bike needs MAJOR work.

Congrats to Fred Hasle who kicked me ass on the bike!!!

http://www.sportstats.ca/...g&racecode=44703

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Murphy's Law's East Coast Long-Course Smackdown Tour - 2009 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
OK OK OK....my biking needs a lot of work....just finished the 5/38/5 duathlon in Cumberland near Ottawa. Cold and windy....did I say windy.

Anyway, run # 18:18 which INCLUDES T1 and run # 2 19:53 (includes T2). I was just around 17:50 for first run as I entered transtion.

Dev
Wow, great work. If your wind is anything like our wind today, yikes!

Do you know if that was THE Julie Paquette, the Cdn astronaut, that came 26th? I thought I read somewhere that she was a triathlete (as well as being super-accomplished at everything else she touches!).
Quote Reply
Re: Murphy's Law's East Coast Long-Course Smackdown Tour - 2009 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dang, that's a helluva comeback on the run so soon!!! Good on ya, mate!

(not to burst any bubbles, but I wouldn't be shocked if it turned out the run course was a tad short, however. When was the last time you were sub-18 for an open 5k?)

OK, checked the results, the 'fastest' 5k was 17:52 (call that 17:22 plus T-time)? Maybe it ain't short after all.
3rd fastest opening run, 4th fastest bike, 6th fastest closing run - not too too bad for a gimp. ;-)

Don't beat yerself up too much about the bike split, doesn't look like anybody other than the OA winner biked particularly fast on the day.

PS - fast for 5k, that's nice. Fast for 13.1, off the bike? We shall see....
(and not for nothing, but I ran 4:00/k off the bike for 21.1k at Demi Esprit. ;-)

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My track workouts indicate that sub 18 for 5K is certainly possible (keep in mind I ran track all of November and also ran hard intervals all winter till I broke my ankle, and I did a shitload of intensity on XC skis...I did run 19:30 on snow and ice in the winterlude tri which I won as the most recent point of reference)....and frankly, my run today was silly in that everyone ran over their heads cause all the sprint guys were with us and there were no K markers. Only after around 3 K did I come to the conclusion that if I kept up the pace, I'd be running 25 min for run number 2....which partially explains the really bad bike splilt......missing 12 days of riding in the lead up due to biz travel when you already have no bike fitness is likely not the best plan either!

I agree with you that an open 5K has no bearing on what one can do off the bike and my second bike split is good enough proof... But I also have run 1:27 on the same course at Esprit in 2007 so I can run fast off the bike (also ran 1:29 and 1:31 the last 2 years in the hills and blazing heat of Peterborough)....sure I ran slow in 2008, but next time you fly back from Japan, and haul your ass over to Montreal and race in what is effectively the middle of the night, a week after having the flu in Asia....well, that's just asking for a disaster race!

It's all good stuff. You had a DNF last week and I had a "non appearance" on the bike today. Its still early in the year...lots of time to Tupper and Timberman :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Murphy's Law's East Coast Long-Course Smackdown Tour - 2009 [Cassie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cassie, the astronaut Julie PAYETTE is indeed a triathlete! Back in 1990 when she first got into the astronaut program and we were at a race, all the boys were trying to get a date with her.....you know, it is not often that you can say that you scored with an astronaut!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Cassie, the astronaut Julie PAYETTE is indeed a triathlete! Back in 1990 when she first got into the astronaut program and we were at a race, all the boys were trying to get a date with her.....you know, it is not often that you can say that you scored with an astronaut!!!
Awesome! I will have to tell my husband. I know he would throw me over for her in an instant, if ever given the chance, lol! A woman who knows about space travel AND is athletic AND brilliant AND a musician AND multi-lingual .... the rest of us don't stand a chance!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tetsuoni, here's my daily ML fun update for you to enjoy:

3 beers - a Saranac Summer Ale, and then 2 Corona's w/ lime plus several slices of pizza (was at my daughter's friend's b-day party this afternoon).

Came home, had a few mini mint chocolate chipwich-type things for dessert. Waiting for the Mrs to get done putting the wee one down, and then we'll enjoy a nice glass of Sauvignon Blanc or 2. I'm sure that in spite of all of the above, the 60m ride and 4m T-run this am will likely mean I'll weigh less tomorrow.

(oh yeah, I had 2 PB&J sammies for lunch today too. Yum! I dunno why "they" say they are a good source of protein? PB is about 90% fat. Not that *I* care.)

Hope you are enjoying your hay and bong-water diet. Keep up the good work. ;-)

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
damn you are busting balls lately
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ML, yes, I enjoy my hay and bongwater diet almost as much as I enjoy crushing dreams.

Everytime I feel my will weakening, and my thoughts turn to hops, you give me strength. Thank you, you evil S.O.B.

R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No need to thank me. That's what I'm here for.

By motivating you, I'm motivating me too - since I know I need to work to git r' done at a Harriman, Tupper, et al.
Regardless of who "wins", we'll both be the better for it.

Good luck at Trooper today.
With Justin racing (at least he said he was planning on it), everybody else is racing for 2nd. If he got his bike woes sorted out, he'll probably put down a new course record.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good call on Justin and the new course record. He got my mark by a handful of seconds. A West Point cadet was 2nd, and I was third. I rode well enough and finished within 2:00+ or so of the win. I actually caught and passed Justin on the bike but he moved ahead again on the climb of Dug Hill. There's no hope of beating him without a huge lead at T2, given how fast he runs. The Cadet had a lead, but Justin ran him down.

R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was that the same WP Cadet who won the OA at Nats last weekend? Or another one? There are a handful of really fast doodes there these days, they've come on very strong the last few seasons.

Dug Hill sucks. A guy like Justin (who makes *me* look like a lardass) has a huge advantage going up that beast. He's no slouch on a bike, but his run speed is just ridiculous.

Mega props for taking 3rd (1st place - Geritol/Flomax Division ;-) behind those guys.

I took the am off (I'll save you the recap of all the crap I ate for b-fast ;-) but will run 10m steady later today, after I beat back the Honey Do list a bit more.
Damn garden fence is taking forever to put up. I still haven't even finished all the fenceposts yet.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you had a good race....what's up next? Harriman?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Starting with a long trail blackberry wheat and eyeing the last of my corsendonk abbey browns, then maybe on to duvel. Figure what the hell since I won the local sprint overall this morning.

This is the what beers I drank today thread, right ;-)
Quote Reply

Prev Next