Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Mtn Bike for Xterra: What Kind (cross country vs single track vs whatever)
Quote | Reply
Evidently buying a mountain bike is infinitely more complicated than buying a TT bike. Each of the OEMs have different categories, but what's best for offroad tris?

For example, Trek has Cross Country, Single Track, and Technical Trail. A basic comparison chart would be really useful.

Any guidance on the appropriate category for Xterra races (no dedicated mtn bike racing)?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Mtn Bike for Xterra: What Kind (cross country vs single track vs whatever) [scb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is your level of riding experience? How serious are you going to ride? How serious are you going to be in XTERRA? What is your budget? A few answers and hopefully I can lead you in the right direction.

I prefer my Aluminum hardtail (cost is a big reason), but I can still rail it. If you aren't as experienced as a rider, you might want to start thinking about a full squish. As far as components, I'd say X-7/SLX and up is what you want.

My baby: '09 KHS Alite 3000, full X-9 drive train, Neuvation MTN-MAX tubeless wheelset w/ Small Block 8s, simple enough and gets the job done.

ericM35-39 wrote:
I love how everybody on ST complains about being slow and then when presented with the secret to not being slow they complain about that too
Quote Reply
Re: Mtn Bike for Xterra: What Kind (cross country vs single track vs whatever) [scb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As far as the Trek line, check out the Cross Country or Single track trail bikes.

Specialized, look at the Cross Country line.

I'd look into some not as name brand bikes. Especially with Aluminum hardtails, they are all about the same, the differences come down to components. My Alite was about $800 with a bro deal hook up, a similar model from Trek is in the $2k+ range.

ericM35-39 wrote:
I love how everybody on ST complains about being slow and then when presented with the secret to not being slow they complain about that too
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depeding on your height, a well equipped 29" hardtail might be good for you. The 29" has more give than a regular hardtail, and still weighs a bit less than than a 26" full suspension.

On the other hand, a lot of folks say you need a full suspension for XTerra, since you want to save your legs and back for the run.

I say find a place that will rent MTBs and see how the different style feels.

my triathlon/motorsports blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went with a 29er hardtail this year and I'm fairly short so you most likely have a good chance of fitting on one.

Specialized Rockhopper Expert 29. Changed the stem to something longer and the tires to Small Block 8's.

I've been riding the heck out of it to be a better mountain biker.
Quote Reply
Re: Mtn Bike for Xterra: What Kind (cross country vs single track vs whatever) [J. Russo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the messages thus far. A bit more info about me.
  • Solid on the TT bike, but aside from some casual mountain biking years ago this will be new to me. I'm comfortable with off road (previous motocross experience) and on the road so I'm not worried about handling skills.
  • 6'2 & 190lbs (lean muscle, not too much chub)
  • I'm pretty serious and prefer to buy something that will last instead of an entry level bike that I need to sell for a better bike in a year
  • I'm comfortable with $3,000 - $4,000

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A 29'er is the only way to go, 26'ers is old technology. Full suspension is not necessary (for any trail riding or Xterra, unless you race big mountain downhills or some very rooty/rocky east coast riding) with larger wheels and tire volume. With your budget, you could get a sweet custom build, and aluminium is fine, carbon is not essential on the trail.

Oh, and height has nothing to do with whether you can ride a 29'er. The two time bronze medalist at the world championships is 5 -2 and rides a 29'er.

http://theworldthroumyeyes.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Given your price range and moto background, I'd go with a full squish bike. I'm not a 29er guy, but given your size, I think you would like the fit of a niner better.

A few to check out:
Specialized Epic Comp 29er http://www.specialized.com/...&scname=Mountain
Trek Hifi Delux http://www.trekbikes.com/...try/hifi/hifi_deluxe
Trek Hifi Pro http://www.trekbikes.com/...ntry/hifi/hifi_pro/#
Santa Cruz Tallboy R XC 29 http://www.santacruzbicycles.com/tallboy/#pricing.php

ericM35-39 wrote:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Trek SuperFly 100 is what I would go for - I think it will be my next bike.

29", full carbon, full suspension, designed around a 2x10 drivetrain....

One caveat on 29'ers. If you are riding tight trails like you find on the east coast, the big wheels
are a little tougher to handle on switchbacks and other obstacles. You might be happier on a 26.

" I take my gear out of my car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of of their lives shocks me. "
(opening lines from Tim Krabbe's The Rider , 1978
Quote Reply