Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Mtb rear derailleur on road bike
Quote | Reply
Has anyone done this? It would be for 9-speed setup. Shifters are shimano 9-spd. Not sure if you can mix-n-match shimano and sram below 10-speed actuation. Want to do a ghetto 1x but below 10-speed long cage (up to 34t) are hard to find with clutch mechanism.
Quote Reply
Re: Mtb rear derailleur on road bike [MikenUltra] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MikenUltra wrote:
Has anyone done this? It would be for 9-speed setup. Shifters are shimano 9-spd. Not sure if you can mix-n-match shimano and sram below 10-speed actuation. Want to do a ghetto 1x but below 10-speed long cage (up to 34t) are hard to find with clutch mechanism.

i have, but the cable routing could be tricky. Shimano road and mtb shifters are most likely not compatible, but SRAM is. In particular, the SRAM Via rear derailleur. See below: 34t front and 36t back

Quote Reply
Re: Mtb rear derailleur on road bike [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I pulled my 7900 rear derailleur off and put on a 9-speed XTR derailleur. It works perfect with the 10-speed brifters. I merely put the 11-34 cassette on for mountain riding, where there are steep inclines especially towards the end of a ride. For flat land rolling, I use the standard 11-25 or 11-28 cassettes. No adjustments required when swapping cassettes.

Having said this, my Tarmac has built in cable adjuster stops and you will need this, or an in line type. That's because the XTR 9-speed derailleur does not have an adjuster knob on it, unlike the 7900 derailleur (and probably most other derailleurs).
Quote Reply
Re: Mtb rear derailleur on road bike [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like it. I took another look at my setup, and I have microshift 9-spd bar ends, a narrow-wide chainring, and shimano cassette. I'd like to use the sram x9 mtb rear derailleur. You think that would work?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
most important thing is cable routing (as i found out the hard way). Some mtb such as the Sram XX has the derailleur cable coming in from the right side of the bike, and depending on where that cable exits from your frame, you may or may not be able to route the cable.

As for shifting, can't say. I do know that the Sram Via set-up isn't too expensive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think so. The X series of SRAM stuff usses a 1:1 pull ratio, while Shimano is 2:1. SRAM had (has?) a separate series called "Rocket" that was designed 2:1 and work fine with Shimano stuff. If the the Microshiift bar-ends have a "friction" mode, then you could use that, and just not have indexing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, I have an old 2009 Tricross that Specialized sold equipped with Tiagra 9 speed road shifters, and a Deore LX long cage rear derailleur.
I'm pretty sure Deore is or was a Shimano MTB groupset, whereas Tiagra is a road groupset. No compatibility issues at all. I think you're pretty safe mixing and matching but you will likely find definitive info on Shimano's website. IIRC they list compatibility for most of their shifters/derailleurs.
Quote Reply