Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Mt Fuji: anybody familiar with the Gotemba trail?
Quote | Reply
I will be in Gotemba next week with hopefully a spare day and was thinking about hiking the Gotemba trail. I understand there may be snow and ice this time of the year; I don't want to deal with that on this trip and won't have any problem turning around. While it would be nice to get to the summit, safety will be always first. Any comments or recommendations from people who have been there?
Quote Reply
Re: Mt Fuji: anybody familiar with the Gotemba trail? [Trirunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did the hike to the summit in 1992 but was much later in the year, we didn't have to worry about snow/ice. I think we were there in August and it was still quite chilly on top. Bring money as there was a great soba shop on top, there were also stations along the trail where you could get the elevation branded into a walking stick or as I saw a guy do, his bike saddle. Then rode his bike down of course. We took a few beers with us, you can catch a decent buzz quick at 12,000'!

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Mt Fuji: anybody familiar with the Gotemba trail? [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ahah. Indeed I read that the 'open' season is July-August when snow/ice is normally not a factor.
Quote Reply