Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Move Nationals to San Diego and Leave It There
Quote | Reply
Every couple of years they move it to another ''garden spot of America''. Every year I think ''Do you really think I want to go there?'' The only place that it's been held recently that I would go to was Burlington and that's only because it's near by. And that was when I was recovering from my hip surgeries. So this year and next year it's in Omaha. Great choice, maybe while I'm there I can stop in to see Warren Buffet. The only good thing from my point of view was that it's right at the airport so you could fly in and fly right out.

Now San Diego, the birthplace of triathlon, that's a place to race. They already have a pretty big Olympic distance race downtown, TriRock, so we know it can be done. Plenty of hotels, restaurants, great weather, why not bring Triathlon back home to where it started.

I know USAT sells the race to the highest bidder, but really how much more does Omaha pay than another city would pay.

What would it take? Could this be done? What do you think?

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Move Nationals to San Diego and Leave It There [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that's a great way to ensure a bunch of triathletes never race it...i'm on the east coast. so are a bunch of other ppl. too far.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The San Diego Classic is a better course IMO. Especially the bike, two trips up to Cabrillo National Monument is a killer, and an absolutely flat, fast run.

ETA: But I don't advocate leaving the race in a single location, unless it's centrally located.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Last edited by: mck414: Sep 7, 16 7:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes because that ensures that almost nobody from the east coast and far fewer people from the central United States would continue to go. Stupid Idea.

If I am not mistaken, it is supposed to be a rotating system where a host city gets 2 years. The rotation is supposed to roughly keep 2 east, 2 central, 2 west so that everybody can have a chance at going with out having to fly across the country.

It's also a stupid idea.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
horrible idea. Nationals and worlds should always move locations. Besides its fun watching the west coast guys wilt and melt in the midwest humidity.

maybe SD can host one AGNC before we anoint it the new Kona of Olympic distance. Has SD even put in a bid in recent years?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
By all means, USAT should put AG Nats in San Diego - but only for 2 years. Over 20 years, the series needs to be held in the NE, NW, SE, SW and multiple locations around the center of the US. No one is going to be happy with any choice so rotation is the only way to go.

BTW, I agree that Omaha sucks eggs as a host location. I would not even consider wasting vacation time to race there. Same thing with OKC for long course nats and worlds. However, for a number of reasons, I doubt USAT is getting a lot of bids and can't be too picky.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am with you.

Someone is always going to have an issue with where this race is held.

Just look at the 70.3 World Championship. I hate that they move it from place to place. In my opinion, just move it back to the states and be done with it. We don't see them moving the Ironman WC around every year?

I did the AG Nationals when they were in Milwaukee, it was close and easy to get to. But I would also go to San Diego. No desire to go and race in Omaha.

You have my vote for S.D.
Quote Reply
Re: Move Nationals to San Diego and Leave It There [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is it really much more of a sacrifice to fly from say, New York to San Diego than it is from New York to Omaha? For me, a few more hours is well worth flying to a place I actually want to be.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I had to pick a permanent location I'd actually go with Milwaukee. That was an ideal venue IMO.

Otherwise, I agree with the others here. Move it every two years... or maybe move it every year but have some sort of a fixed rotation. Maybe San Diego, Milwaukee, and Washington DC would be a good rotation.
Quote Reply
Re: Move Nationals to San Diego and Leave It There [Hammer Down] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hammer Down wrote:
Is it really much more of a sacrifice to fly from say, New York to San Diego than it is from New York to Omaha? For me, a few more hours is well worth flying to a place I actually want to be.

Depends on the person. I live in Tampa, FL and travelled to Bend, OR for Du Nats this year ... great venue! So yeah, I'll fly longer to a place that excites me, but I won't return to Bend next year ... been there done that. In general, I rarely repeat destination venues. Life is too short to keep going back to the same location when there is so much in the world to see. I fully support rotating venues like AG Nats, ITU Worlds, 70.3 Worlds. As for Kona, I would like to go ... once! I think the top AGrs who go multiple times are strange ducks ... each additional time is a lost trip that could have been taken to another country. So yeah, San Diego would be great location to do a triathlon but not again, and again, and again. You get diminishing marginal returns from each trip until it eventually becomes ... BORING! (BTW, Omaha is boring just to think about let alone actually go.)
Quote Reply
Re: Move Nationals to San Diego and Leave It There [gshtrisport] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gshtrisport wrote:

Just look at the 70.3 World Championship. I hate that they move it from place to place. In my opinion, just move it back to the states and be done with it. We don't see them moving the Ironman WC around every year?

You realize WTC has races all over Europe right? While I'd love to see it in the states every year I'm not sure how thats fair to the rest of the world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd enjoy SD but not permanently. I like that it moves every two years or three as was the case with Milwaukee.

I wasn't jumping up and down about Omaha but I ended up enjoying my time there. I'm most likely going to go back next year and have a few things left on my to do list there... was a little bummed I couldn't find a pizza place with draft beers. Like Transfer Pizza in Milwaukee... but that's a small detail for me. I've got a year to work that one out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haw many years in a row have you done the same race at the same location?

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I rarely repeat a race back to back. Instead I try to go to different courses and areas unless a place is ay beyond spectacular, in which case I might do it every other year. Seems more fun that way, plus you get to visit different areas of the country.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sounds like you are assuming san diego would like to be a host. based on some of the issues of the wts and large races a couple years ago? not so much, especially the neighborhoods where the race travels...
Quote Reply
Re: Move Nationals to San Diego and Leave It There [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xeon wrote:
I'd enjoy SD but not permanently. I like that it moves every two years or three as was the case with Milwaukee.

I wasn't jumping up and down about Omaha but I ended up enjoying my time there. I'm most likely going to go back next year and have a few things left on my to do list there... was a little bummed I couldn't find a pizza place with draft beers. Like Transfer Pizza in Milwaukee... but that's a small detail for me. I've got a year to work that one out.

No pizza place with draft beer? That's just un-American. Are you sure you weren't lost in Utah or something?
No, seriously - no draft beer?
Quote Reply
Re: Move Nationals to San Diego and Leave It There [Runningwithbees] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runningwithbees wrote:
Yes because that ensures that almost nobody from the east coast and far fewer people from the central United States would continue to go. Stupid Idea.

If I am not mistaken, it is supposed to be a rotating system where a host city gets 2 years. The rotation is supposed to roughly keep 2 east, 2 central, 2 west so that everybody can have a chance at going with out having to fly across the country.

It's also a stupid idea.

You do know it has been like over 10 years since this has been on the west coast. So much for moving it around equally across the country.
Yea, I know USAT always says no one one the west coast wants to bid. Well, maybe there is a reason?

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Move Nationals to San Diego and Leave It There [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Hammer Down wrote:

Depends on the person. I live in Tampa, FL and travelled to Bend, OR for Du Nats this year ... great venue! So yeah, I'll fly longer to a place that excites me, but I won't return to Bend next year ... been there done that. In general, I rarely repeat destination venues. Life is too short to keep going back to the same location when there is so much in the world to see. I fully support rotating venues like AG Nats, ITU Worlds, 70.3 Worlds. As for Kona, I would like to go ... once! I think the top AGrs who go multiple times are strange ducks ... each additional time is a lost trip that could have been taken to another country. So yeah, San Diego would be great location to do a triathlon but not again, and again, and again. You get diminishing marginal returns from each trip until it eventually becomes ... BORING! (BTW, Omaha is boring just to think about let alone actually go.)

Loved the race at Bend, and for me, I am going back. Hard to find such a great place to race at, even though I had to drive 10 hours.
Going to see if I can somehow improve my biking a little bit and give that darn hill another shot.

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Re: Move Nationals to San Diego and Leave It There [davejustdave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davejustdave wrote:

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I rarely repeat a race back to back. Instead I try to go to different courses and areas unless a place is ay beyond spectacular, in which case I might do it every other year. Seems more fun that way, plus you get to visit different areas of the country.

Most of my races I have done each year for over a decade.

Quote Reply
Re: Move Nationals to San Diego and Leave It There [ffmedic84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ffmedic84 wrote:

You realize WTC has races all over Europe right? While I'd love to see it in the states every year I'm not sure how thats fair to the rest of the world.

Life isn't fair.

The first 8 years of 70.3 WC were held in the US and its coming back for 2017.

Also, x2 on Milwaukee....it was an awesome venue! They should just leave it there.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Move Nationals to San Diego and Leave It There [d00d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
d00d wrote:
that's a great way to ensure a bunch of triathletes never race it...i'm on the east coast. so are a bunch of other ppl. too far.

Mark, I'm in NY and as others have said, once you have to get on a plane, another hour doesn't make any difference. I'd much rather take that extra hour to get to some place that I'd like to go to.

''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Move Nationals to San Diego and Leave It There [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did not race at nationals in Omaha, but I lived and trained there for 4 years while I was in medical school. That race must have been HOT as hell, and carter lake is kind of gross.

That being said, there are a few good training spots and the cycling outside the city is pretty good on both sides of the river.

There are PLENTY of good beer and food places. I now live on the east coast, and food in Omaha is better than boston as hard as that is to believe.
Quote Reply
Re: Move Nationals to San Diego and Leave It There [Thebigturtle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thebigturtle wrote:
I did not race at nationals in Omaha, but I lived and trained there for 4 years while I was in medical school. That race must have been HOT as hell, and carter lake is kind of gross.

That being said, there are a few good training spots and the cycling outside the city is pretty good on both sides of the river.

There are PLENTY of good beer and food places. I now live on the east coast, and food in Omaha is better than boston as hard as that is to believe.

Talking to folks who have lived there, and raced the event, they were super lucky on race day the weather was, for Omaha, great. If it had been a day before, week or so before, etc,. it would have been the normal stuff you saw. I sure wish they would find another location for next year.

Quote Reply
Re: Move Nationals to San Diego and Leave It There [Thebigturtle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thebigturtle wrote:
boston

There's your problem......

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Move Nationals to San Diego and Leave It There [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
davejustdave wrote:

Most of my races I have done each year for over a decade.

But are you the rule or the exception?

As I stated, I may be in the minority.

I may do June lake again as it's the most scenic race Ive ever done, but with a limited number of days I can travel per year, I like to visit new places, and races seem a good excuse to go somewhere new
Quote Reply
Re: Move Nationals to San Diego and Leave It There [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
If I had to pick a permanent location I'd actually go with Milwaukee. That was an ideal venue IMO.

Otherwise, I agree with the others here. Move it every two years... or maybe move it every year but have some sort of a fixed rotation. Maybe San Diego, Milwaukee, and Washington DC would be a good rotation.

I don't know anything about Milwaukee and really don't plan on ever knowing anything about it unless I'm arrested and sent to prison there.

Right now they send the race to whoever has the money. When I first met my wife she has recently gone to St Joe's, Mo and swam in a mud puddle. I have never had much interest in Nats because of the locations. SD already has two Olympic races in town and they did just put on an ITU race at Mission BAy.

I think when a race moves around it never gets an identity. Look at Kona, everyone knows it and knows the course. 70.3 moves around and lacks identity. I thought Vegas was going to be great but Vegas course was crappy.

Another plus for SD is that it takes the weather out of the equation. Someone posted that the midwest humidity melts the west coast racers but it doesn't help the others. Everyone suffers. SD; great weather almost no chance of rain.

Bring it to San Diego!

Quote Reply

Prev Next