Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Move Date IM WI 2006 for Better Weather
Quote | Reply
I am up in Madison hanging out with some friends who are doing IM Moo tomorrow. Just wished them good luck. At dinner the main concern or topic of conversation was the weather forecast which calls for hot heat in the upper 80s / low 90s.

This will be 3 years in a row where IM WI 2003, 2004, and now 2005 to have similar hot humid conditions on race day.

Just a thought for the WTC - consider moving the date of IM Wisconsin 2006 to late Sept or early Oct? It might be cooler with better conditions just moving it out a couple of weeks.
Quote Reply
Re: Move Date IM WI 2006 for Better Weather [trisporto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
problem with that is... what happens when you get a freak early winter storm in early october the first year that the dates are moved? The weather in Wisconsin (my family lives there) turns very quickly from summer to fall... give it one front and BAM!!! Youre back into fall. Too cold sucks worse then too hot IMO.

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Re: Move Date IM WI 2006 for Better Weather [aus_tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The weather in Wisconsin (my family lives there) turns very quickly from summer to fall... give it one front and BAM!!! Youre back into fall. Too cold sucks worse then too hot IMO.

Yeah ... like when it snows before Halloween.

If you can predict Midwestern weather a year in advance ... well, I don't even know what you're entitled to ... but it's lucrative.

In the Midwest you can be certain of a couple of tings ... rolling hills and high humidity. If you get a warm temperature, it's a bonus. As others have pointed out in various threads, it just as esily be "football weather".

I had buddies in college from Cali and Texas (baseball teammates ... in Iowa). They couldn't believe how often weathermen were on TV and how often people seemed to check the weather and prioritize forecasts.

The old saying applies about weather here .... don't complain b/c it'll change before you finish your sentence.

I wish everyone well at IMWI. The weather was beautiful today in Fontana, WI ... suppossed to be worse in madison on Sunday ... big topic of pre-race conversation at the Lake Geneva race.

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
the weather forecast which calls for hot heat in the upper 80s / low 90s.
So? It's IronMan, not IceCreamMan...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think they should move Kona to a more neutral climate, because the heat just makes the race so hard! I mean, seriously.

;)

Weather is part of the game. And weather in Wisconsin this time of year is great... if it's a little hot you suck it up and do what you need to stay cool and stay in the race. Slow down, get that extra water bottle at the aid stations on the bike (one good reason to wear a cycling jersey) and if you are overheating take a few minutes off the bike in the shade!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They need to leave the date as it is because of IMNA race staff....they have to high- tail it over to Kona after WI. Graham Fraser can't be in two places at once!

"In order to arrive at what you are not, you must move throught the way in which you are not."
T.S. Elliot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
umm...ironman canada was 34C this year...i don't do well with the conversion, but that's above 90...

"Anyone can work hard when they want to; Champions do it when they don't."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
suck it up buttercup!

--------
Canadian resident again 10/31/2009
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One thing you can never control in an IM is the weather!!!! We're Ironmen...suck it up!!!!!!

http://www.ironm4n.blogspot.com

-----------------
http://www.konashelley.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rumor has it that the Chicago Marathon 2006 is going to be pushed back a couple of weeks so that weather conditions are more favorable. And that's what got me thinking.

But yeah I tend to agree now - If your body doesn't perform well in certain weather conditions or terrain of an IM, then pick another IM. That's what makes them "Ironmans".
Quote Reply
Re: Move Date IM WI 2006 for Better Weather [SpinHo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]They need to leave the date as it is because of IMNA race staff....they have to high- tail it over to Kona after WI. Graham Fraser can't be in two places at once![/reply]

What does the IMNA staff have to do with Kona? They don't put on IMH.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just check the weather each of the next weekends and you'll be happy it is where it is. Stretches of heat are no more than 3 days this time of year. Just two hundred miles north has already seen freezing temps and the latter you go into September you will see that in Madison. 35 for a swim start is not good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. The Ironman group of races as a whole would seem not to care about the weather. Races are often run in tough conditions and other than really threatening siuations( the ill-fated IM Utah) they go on despite the weather. It is what it is and as another poster has said, it's what makes it an IM.

2. The above being said, really hot weather as more than a few, and in particular IMH, are held in is a real selector. Some/many don't do well in those sorts of conditions. Ever notice how the same people tend to do really well year anfter year in both the pro and AG races at IMH in multi year streaks. Also the numbers of people who have tried to do well at IMH with outstanding credentails and great results elsewhere and then had spectacular blow-upsat IMH is legion! I realize that this sounds crazy, but a top ranked coach once told me that if you took the same top field that you have in Hawaii every year, and run the race in 20C weather, the results would be very different!

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply