Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Mounting Garmin on bike
Quote | Reply
Hi all -

I use a Garmin Fenix 3 and want a way to mount it on my P2. When riding my road bike, I usually just wrap the watch around my handle bars, and that's sufficient. There obviously isn't room to do this on the P2. I have a Torpedo Versa that I use certain times, so ideally I'd like a solution to mount it when I have the Torpedo on and also when I'm riding without it. I tried simply wrapping the watch around the universal mount that came with the Torpedo, but I can't tighten it enough to get it to stay still. I also purchased the Profile Design Universal Mount to see if it would work, but again, I can't tighten the watch band enough for it to stay in place.

I have looked at the quick release kit Garmin makes, which would solve this problem, BUT I'm just extremely nervous about getting kicked or something during the swim and losing my watch. For shorter rides/races, I don't have a problem just leaving the watch on my wrist the whole time, but for longer rides and HIM distance, I really want a way to have it out it front of me so it's easier to see.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!
Quote Reply
Re: Mounting Garmin on bike [TRosk27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any reason you don't just want to get a separate bike computer? I prefer to keep my watch on my wrist at all times and use a bike computer (plus the watch) during the bike leg. There's a few advantages to this; one being the bike computer has more fields so you can see more information quickly. Personally, what I do is have my bike computer display current values (like speed, HR, power, distance, ... ) and have my watch display averages. That way when I'm racing, I can see my current fields for pacing on my bike computer and if I want to see average data I just look on my wrist. This way I never have to press any buttons during a race and can just focus on riding without distractions.

I understand that's not what you were asking but still wanted to throw it out there as a suggestion. I use a Fenix and ride a P2 but wouldn't quite see how to mount it on there either without it sticking out in the wind and/or being sideways and not really readable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This will probably work... $12 bucks. but like the poster above me said, having a dedicated bike computer (Garmin Edge) is soooooo much better.

http://a.co/eEepl36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the quick release kit and hate it. The watch sticks out off your wrist way more than normal - so, you would never wear it as your everyday watch band. This forces you to have to swap bands frequently. I have a sleeveless wetsuit and couldn't imagine trying to pull a sleeves suit off with that band / watch combo.

On the positive side, I would say very little risk of it being knocked off. It feels secure and requires a deliberate motion to remove.

For races I am happy to leave an older model garmin on my bike. I still hit lap on the Fenix and record all my data on my watch but I get the heads up view of my power numbers from the head unit mounted to the bike. You can find a 500 for around $80 on the ST classifieds, craigslist, etc...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use this:http://www.trisports.com/...o-bta-mount-150.html in conjunction with the quick release kit, with a Fenix 3.

yes the quick release makes the watch stick way up high - for normal wear it kind of bugs but when racing I don't notice it. Yes, it's a total hassle with the wetsuit - my suit arms are so tight that there is no way I can get it under the sleeve so I have to wear it over, which is a pain in transition. I have not had any issues or fears of it falling off in a swim. I have debated wearing two watch bands - one under my suit, and one over. That way in transition it's: remove watch and put on bike, remove top band and throw into transition bag, remove wetuit, etc. Then when in T2 it's just put watch on the other band which is already on my wrist. I just haven't gotten there yet...

The watch is rock solid when mounted on the bike - no worries there.

Sometimes this setup makes me wish I had the 720xt...

I previously had the garmin bar mount thingy on my road bike and never liked that setup at all.
Quote Reply
Re: Mounting Garmin on bike [mattyboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, this was potentially a dangerous question to ask as I am now browsing Garmin bike computers.... Might have to hold off on that investment for a bit longer though. I went ahead and ordered a quick release kit to give it a try. Mattyboy - you're right. It feels extremely solid so I think that takes care of my fears re: losing it on the swim. Works perfectly with the torpedo mount as well. Thanks for the input everyone!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used my watch for a while like this and then just decided to get a used edge on here. Its so much easier to read my data on the bike with a bike comp. Plus during a race situation you dont have to mess with the watch. Honestly, a 500 could be found for under 100 bucks on here and its def worth having one.

2020 Team Zoot MTN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used QR kits with Garmin since the FR305. Obviously couldn't swim with the 305 but can with the 310, 910 and 920. When I take the wetsuit off, I remove the Garmin head unit and hold it my hand pulling the wetsuit sleeve off over that hand. When it's past the strap I put the head unit back on and pull the other arm off. I've been doing this for years without any issue. There's no need to pull the sleeve over the unit. It's not difficult and easily done while running into transition.

And, unlike some others, I've never lost a unit in a swim...yet!

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Mounting Garmin on bike [PhilipShambrook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used a quick release with my FR305 and 910XT. However, I then got a 920XT as a gift and since I wear it as a normal day to day watch, I didn't want to use a quick release kit. My 910XT is still perfectly serviceable so I kept that and it lives entirely on my bikes. This is the best of both worlds. I have the most compact and secure format for the 920XT and also have a head unit in front of me on the bike. It also provides redundancy on the bike leg. There are 2 potential downsides: 1 - Increased drag on the bike by having a watch on my wrist. 2 - Potential for having the 910XT stolen from the bike in transition. 1 is fairly minimal and if worried about 2 you can remove the watch as you enter transition and either put it in your pocket or leave it in a shoe or something (but that could cost you a second or two) so that it's not visible to any opportunists.
Quote Reply