Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Mountain biking clothing etiquette
Quote | Reply
I've noticed there are baggy clothed vs lycra wearing mountain bikers, what's the catch? Are there scenarios where you would want to wear shorts and a t-shirt vs the normal road cycling garb?
Quote Reply
Re: Mountain biking clothing etiquette [BKyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some people like baggy clothing.

Some people like tight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When you're going downhill wear t-shirt and baggy shorts. When you're going uphill wear lycra.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Baggy is tougher when you fall off.
May have useful pockets.
For the shy that just cannot wear Lycra without being embarrassed.

Lycra is lighter.
Has better freedom of movement.
Less likely to get caught up on the seat when you drop over the back.
Cooler in the summer.
Rips easily when yo fall off.

Baggy pant wearers are secretly jealous that the Lycra wearers have the balls to show their balls so they bag them out in an attempt to hide their insecurities.
Same reason dick tog wearers cop a lot of criticism, it's little dick syndrome.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just where whatever you feel comfortable wearing. Simple. Why complicate life?

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you use Strava = Lycra
Bike computer?? = Baggy

=)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lycra seems to be acceptable only if you're rocking <120mm of travel. XC, maybe trail riding, which is why I mostly ride in the same road apparel as always. I do leave my aero-road helmet at home, though (unless it's an XCM race).

For more aggro trail riding, baggies are the norm. I guess when you're hanging out and stopping every five minutes to "session" a rock, you might as well wear something loose and airy. When I meet with friends to fool around and do some skills practice, I prefer to wear a pair of slightly looser shorts and a regular tech tee.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you participate in timed events that include uphills and flats you wear Lycra whenever you go biking. Otherwise baggy.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have noticed that those of us who rode road bikes first or primarily identify as roadies stick to spandex, while those who are primarily mountain bikers wear baggies. I don't know if it is habit or tribalism.
Quote Reply
Re: Mountain biking clothing etiquette [happyscientist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
happyscientist wrote:
I have noticed that those of us who rode road bikes first or primarily identify as roadies stick to spandex, while those who are primarily mountain bikers wear baggies. I don't know if it is habit or tribalism.
Could be true but if you look at MTB competitions the riders wear lycra, not baggy stuff. Baggy clothing requires a GoPro with chest harness for videos of fast downhill singletrack.

I always wear the same gear like I do on the road because it works and because my MTB rides are about a physical endurance workout, not learning / showing skill and being cool. I'm also not wearing elbow pads and knee pads and that sort of stuff since I'm not going to be taking much risk on the downhills anyway.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BKyle wrote:
I've noticed there are baggy clothed vs lycra wearing mountain bikers, what's the catch? Are there scenarios where you would want to wear shorts and a t-shirt vs the normal road cycling garb?

Some folks have touched on these rules, but I'll give you my comprehensive perspective.

Like in riding on the roads, there are at least three categories of mountain biker, and each class turns down his (or her) nose at the other.
  • There is the XC rider, which is you if you're on this forum and participate in triathlons, crits, or road races. You need to wear lycra road kits and ride front suspension less than or equal to 120 mm. 29er hard tails are XC rider issue kit, and tires shall be no wider than 2.4" (<2.25" is recommended). You wear a standard road helmet -- even an aero road helmet is acceptable if you are part of this class -- and, on rides less than 2 hours on your mountain bike, you use round bidons and not a Camelbak (hydration packs are used by XC riders only in extreme cases like brutal heat or 50+ mile endurance races). He always always uses clips. NO dropper posts.
  • Then there is the All Mountain/Enduro rider. This rider uses front suspension between 130mm and 170 or 180mm. He typically participates in "Enduro" races, which are stage races that are won by the guy with the fiercest death wish and the highest peak power. He wears baggie shorts and usually a long sleeve baggie jersey with protective material at the elbows. Sometimes his baggie shorts are capri's, and he always wear knee pads, even when riding on flat terrain. He has one of those in between helmets that wraps around his ears but does not have hard casing around the chin. He always wears a Camelbak, even if only riding 7 miles. Flat pedals vs. clips is personal choice for these riders. Dropper posts required.
  • Finally, there is the downhill rider. This rider takes everything the All Mountain Enduro racer does to the extreme, including rocking massive dual crown suspension and wearing full face protective helmets, like the kind motorcycle riders use. Flat pedals only. Downhill riders tolerate AM/Enduro guys but generally think XC riders are pussies, sort of like how X-games snowboarders perceive cross country skiers...it might as well not even be the same sport.
The corollary on the roads is this: you have, generally, triathletes, roadies, and Freds/Jerry's. Roadies cannot stand triathletes because triathletes are, almost without exception, complete douche bags. Triathletes cannot stand roadies because roadies are faster than them; dress better than them; and don't have as much money as they do. Neither triathletes nor roadies can stand Freds or Jerry's, who are really the same class -- neither are serious cyclists and both wear Team Sky/Movistar kits and the like, but Freds ride really nice carbon bikes and wheels and Jerry's have 9 speed alloy shit rigs.
Last edited by: kileyay: May 24, 17 7:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have 2 observations on this subject:

1. Folks who prefer wearing baggy MTB outfits seem to add all sorts of clothing/equipment to add functionality that would be easily accomplished with simple lycra shorts and a jersey with rear pockets :-/

2. "Gravel", or "Adventure" bikes: Making it acceptable to wear lycra off-road again ;-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Mountain biking clothing etiquette [PhilipShambrook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PhilipShambrook wrote:
Just where whatever you feel comfortable wearing. Simple. Why complicate life?

^ This

I wear lycra, on my XC full suspension 29er that has a dropper post. Guess what, your opinion of me means squat. At the end of my ride I'm still popping a beer and have a smile from ear to ear.
Last edited by: Cuban3jumper: May 24, 17 9:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lots of good points so far. My only thing to add would be how much I have enjoyed knee guards/pads the last couple seasons. They add confidence (typically leading to improved skills), but also add protection without really being a bother. I have spent many hours in a pair of Alpinestars Paragons and never found them uncomfortable. I have ripped the skin off my knees so many times before (or in cross) that they take soooo long to heal anymore.

That being said, lycra shorts with knee pads makes you 'that guy.' Knee pads, "baggy" shorts and a tight jersey also make you 'that guy.'

So like anything else, just do what makes you happy as long as it's not taking away from anybody else's rides/happiness.

But when it comes to a timed race (mt bike race or Xterra type tri/du), it's lycra and road helmet just like Kileyay mentions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wear the same stuff on all bikes (road, tri, cross, mtb). Don't have time to worry about different outfits for different tire widths.

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wear lycra...more comfortable, more aero (it's faster uphill and down), and won't get snagged on the seat or tree limbs as easily.
Quote Reply
Re: Mountain biking clothing etiquette [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
BKyle wrote:

Some folks have touched on these rules, but I'll give you my comprehensive perspective.

Like in riding on the roads, there are at least three categories of mountain biker, and each class turns down his (or her) nose at the other.
  • There is the XC rider, which is you if you're on this forum and participate in triathlons, crits, or road races. You need to wear lycra road kits and ride front suspension less than or equal to 120 mm. 29er hard tails are XC rider issue kit, and tires shall be no wider than 2.4" (<2.25" is recommended). You wear a standard road helmet -- even an aero road helmet is acceptable if you are part of this class -- and, on rides less than 2 hours on your mountain bike, you use round bidons and not a Camelbak (hydration packs are used by XC riders only in extreme cases like brutal heat or 50+ mile endurance races). He always always uses clips. NO dropper posts.
  • Then there is the All Mountain/Enduro rider. This rider uses front suspension between 130mm and 170 or 180mm. He typically participates in "Enduro" races, which are stage races that are won by the guy with the fiercest death wish and the highest peak power. He wears baggie shorts and usually a long sleeve baggie jersey with protective material at the elbows. Sometimes his baggie shorts are capri's, and he always wear knee pads, even when riding on flat terrain. He has one of those in between helmets that wraps around his ears but does not have hard casing around the chin. He always wears a Camelbak, even if only riding 7 miles. Flat pedals vs. clips is personal choice for these riders. Dropper posts required.
  • Finally, there is the downhill rider. This rider takes everything the All Mountain Enduro racer does to the extreme, including rocking massive dual crown suspension and wearing full face protective helmets, like the kind motorcycle riders use. Flat pedals only. Downhill riders tolerate AM/Enduro guys but generally think XC riders are pussies, sort of like how X-games snowboarders perceive cross country skiers...it might as well not even be the same sport.
The corollary on the roads is this: you have, generally, triathletes, roadies, and Freds/Jerry's. Roadies cannot stand triathletes because triathletes are, almost without exception, complete douche bags. Triathletes cannot stand roadies because roadies are faster than them; dress better than them; and don't have as much money as they do. Neither triathletes nor roadies can stand Freds or Jerry's, who are really the same class -- neither are serious cyclists and both wear Team Sky/Movistar kits and the like, but Freds ride really nice carbon bikes and wheels and Jerry's have 9 speed alloy shit rigs.

Quote Reply
Re: Mountain biking clothing etiquette [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:

What if I ride an 8-speed, alloy shit rig?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me...always lycra bottom since it's more comfortable and I already have enough of them from road cycling. No point buying more clothing as I don't see any functional benefit of baggy MTB shorts. As someone already mentioned, baggy shorts are likely more durable during a crash, but I've had quite a few MTB spills in lycra and haven't ripped any clothing yet. I don't use my best bibs while MTB'ing though knowing it could easily happen. If I was tearing bibs on a regular basis, I probably would switch to baggys...I just don't see the need to right now.

Top is a toss up between a jersey and a dry fit shirt. I'll usually go for the shirt if I'm using a camelback and don't need the jersey pockets.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure about the 'etiquette' part, but I'd just wear what you are comfortable with. I have found the trail riding guys definitely like to poke fun at the lycra wearing roadie mtn biker, but it's all in good humour.

I personally wouldn't wear my road kit on a mtn ride as there is too much chance for tearing my kit either crashing or brushing close to trees - been there done that. My experience is obviously based on my local trails. I also find the baggy mtn kit is better for mosquitos and blackflies!

I've never had issues with baggy shorts snagging on the saddle as the mtn bike specific shorts are designed not to do that.

Mtbers don't care about etiquette like roadies do. So you can just wear whatever you feel confrotabke in. If your sunglassses don't match your helmet for example, doesn't matter, it's going to get muddy anyway.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Attire is a predictor of cowbell usage. More cowbell (for the trail runners among us).

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Baggies are actually required for World Cup Downhill. Because of the aero benefit, a few riders used skinsuits. Other riders revolted and got the rule instituted.
Last edited by: Rumpled: May 24, 17 15:22
Quote Reply
Re: Mountain biking clothing etiquette [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rumpled wrote:
Baggies are actually required for World Cup Downhill. Because of the aero benefit, a few riders used skinsuits. Other riders revolted and got the rule instituted.

I recall that the main complaint was that a skinsuit "didn't look moto enough" :-/

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Mountain biking clothing etiquette [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Little dick syndrome again
Quote Reply

Prev Next