Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Most Aero shoe [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
What size foot do you have?
10 US

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Re: Most Aero shoe [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweet. Relatively soon I'll have a prototype that should be pretty close for you. Mostly it will be about testing ease of entry and exit. Would love to see what you think.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ed, let me know if you need any other help with testing. I’m size 10.5.
Quote Reply
Re: Most Aero shoe [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would love to have you try it.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In as a tester as well if you have 44.5 :)

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello RowToTri and All,

We had very good results in the wind tunnel with this design the cleans up the pedal shoe interface by allowing the pedal to be enclosed in the shoe similar to an aircraft wheel retracting. You can buy these at http://www.shop.view-speed.com/...ion-610098715986.htm

Also the crepe sole is light and allows running without slipping for transitions where the shoes cannot be mounted on the bike.

Another area the would probably show some gains is the after body of the heel. Bont Chrono attacks that with a fairing .... perhaps add a very light red reflector for safety that also functions as a faring on the heel.

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Most Aero shoe [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Nealhe!

I am aware of that shoe modification - it's very slick. I would like to maintain cleat position adjustability in an off-the-shelf aero shoe.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds good. Finally getting back into training after my rib fiasco. I got on the bike and was pretty sure I’ve never worked out before lol.
Quote Reply
Re: Most Aero shoe [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will the regular Giro Empire not perform similarly from an aero perspective?

"It's good enough for who it's for" - Grandpa Wayne
Quote Reply
Re: Most Aero shoe [flynnzu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
flynnzu wrote:
Will the regular Giro Empire not perform similarly from an aero perspective?

In simple terms I am sure they are very close - splitting hairs close. Shoes weigh more, where does all the material go? Does it have more material (thicker material) or is it just denser (heavier) material? If it is more material and a larger area, does it have a better shape (cD), probably not, so therefore it would be an increase in the "a" part of the CdA and thus slightly less aero but I think they are pretty similar shoes and thus should be very similar from an aero perspective

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Going to resurrect this thread as I'm looking to replace my Garneau tri x-lites with something a little more aero by December for Indian Wells. Are you still using the modded Giro shoes or has something else come along that you like more now?

Does anyone else have any thoughts on the most aero TRI shoe? I'm not doing flying mounts as of now but probably will start soon.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Most Aero shoe [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since this is going to vary from person to person wearing the same shoes due to pedaling differences, if it was me & ymmv, I'd look for other low hanging fruit to make myself more aero/lower crr/save time elsewhere.

My guess is if most people ran 3km extra on top of their normal running every week between now & they they would end up faster then what any shoe will make them

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Most Aero shoe [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Believe me when I say most of the low hanging fruit has been dealt with on my end (within the confines of my budget). Trying to go sub 4:00 at Indian Wells and my shoes aren't just slow (presumably) but also kind of uncomfortable so I figure I might as well get some fast ones when I replace them.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Last edited by: realbdeal: Sep 20, 18 12:49
Quote Reply
Re: Most Aero shoe [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went with the LG LA 84’s

Used a seam ripper to remove the tongue; and used three of the INMAKER no tie rubber laces. I also filed down the tread at the front of the shoe.

The toe box is pretty rounded. The giro would be more aero, but for $65 - 100.00. It was worth the experiment before spending the money in the empires.

I ended up putting some gorilla tape below the last elastic (not pictured).

I also found that my foot would catch a bit in the elastic laces in training. While racing I applied a little aquafor to lubricate things and my foot slid in nicely.

I was able to thread an elastic through the top inside eyelets for a flying mount.

Even if you fiddle a bit getting into them. They are super easy to slide out of. So, you will save time on the back end.
Quote Reply
Re: Most Aero shoe [SBRinSD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you - I was very much inspired by your blog post
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice shoes!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
Since this is going to vary from person to person wearing the same shoes due to pedaling differences, if it was me & ymmv, I'd look for other low hanging fruit to make myself more aero/lower crr/save time elsewhere.

My guess is if most people ran 3km extra on top of their normal running every week between now & they they would end up faster then what any shoe will make them

But you can throw money at new shoes. Adding 3km of running takes actual work!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did the same thing - I love the shoes - comfortable, easy to get on and off, speedplay aero cleat makes them easy and pretty safe to run in and they are super easy to get out of for T2.

Best $60 experiment I've done! I'm thinking about trying the Empires as well...but I really like these haha!

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
can you make this into a unit of measure, like the Stover? How many Stovers is this shoe worth? What's the $$/Stover ratio on this helmet?

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Most Aero shoe [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
can you make this into a unit of measure, like the Stover? How many Stovers is this shoe worth? What's the $$/Stover ratio on this helmet?

Winner
Quote Reply
Re: Most Aero shoe [T-wrecks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or do both.
Quote Reply
Re: Most Aero shoe [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
Or do both.

Only if the Stover Threshold is met.
Quote Reply
Re: Most Aero shoe [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For $60.00 it’s a no brainer.

I found it to be a fun project during a taper week when I had time on my hands.

For sure it can be classified as marginal gains. When it is time for new shoes. Why not make a project out of it...
Quote Reply

Prev Next