Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Moriarty is being repaved... should be a primo 40k course once again
Quote | Reply
And it looks like really smooth asphalt...

I drove the course coming back from Albuquerque on Mon. There was a long train of trucks and machines grinding up the old asphalt and laying down new. Driving over it from the car it seemed like super nice pavement.

I think the first time I rode there was 6 years ago, and it hasn't been repaved in that time. The surface has been fairly rough and cracked which isn't ideal for TTing. If the wind cooperates it should be a very fast course now. Hopefully some locals will chime in regarding what it is like from a bike.

Hoping they don't do something really silly like they did with Hwy 70 through Ruidoso. They laid down beautiful smooth asphalt... and a little later covered it with course chipseal. No joke. Maybe someone who understands road design can explain that one to me.
Quote Reply
Re: Moriarty is being repaved... should be a primo 40k course once again [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
'Like'

Wish I knew this last weekend. Was out at Sedillo Hill supporting the State Road Race and would have driven over to check it out. May have to take a preview ride out there later in the season.

Some of the roads they've repaved recently (Cochiti Lake area, Gonzales Rd near Oak Flat) have been super smooth/fast. Crossing my fingers that's the case here.

I wonder if the tire pressure strategy changes with nicer pavement...
Quote Reply
Re: Moriarty is being repaved... should be a primo 40k course once again [GaryV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On Sat you would have been too early anyway. I was there Mon and it was in process. I wasn't paying real close attention at first, but it looked like it was being done in one pass... efficient system that I've never seen before.

I'd use higher pressure on smooth roads for sure. If the surface is glass smooth and hard then it should be fastest to run the highest pressure you can. The hardness is another factor. I'm sure you've noticed that tires tend to sink in asphalt that is hot, so there would still be that to consider even if the road was super smooth. Since the TT is in the morning the road won't be hot though.
Quote Reply
Re: Moriarty is being repaved... should be a primo 40k course once again [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know if they are doing the 40 K Record Challenge this year? I can't seem to find any info on the 40K TT there.
Quote Reply
Re: Moriarty is being repaved... should be a primo 40k course once again [Abu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's on the NMCycling site but not USAC for some reason.

I emailed Randy about it last month and he said it was on. Aug 31 and Sept 1.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, any idea what events/ categories are which days? I can't find a flyer on the NMCycling site.
Quote Reply
Re: Moriarty is being repaved... should be a primo 40k course once again [Abu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most go the first day (Sun). Monday repeats most or maybe all categories. I think the main idea is to give people an option on the day, particularly if they travel. Or if you are good at recovery, you can have two shots.

See the results for past years: http://www.nmcycling.org/...age&id=7#results

Last years registration: https://www.newmexicosportsonline.com/.../details.aspx?id=595
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rode it yesterday cant remember where they started and finished exactly but it wasn't much. Less then half total.
Quote Reply
Re: Moriarty is being repaved... should be a primo 40k course once again [stodr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What are you saying? Only half has been repaved?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Both sides of road but probably less then half the course
Quote Reply
Re: Moriarty is being repaved... should be a primo 40k course once again [stodr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They were working on the southbound lane near Moriarty when I was there. I thought they were over half way to Estancia then.

Was the repaved part nice?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will check it again this weekend. The road is great. But the shoulder is beveled noew so not as good for normal riding.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info. If you can determine how far the new paving is from Estancia, that would be cool.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff according to the markings on the road the first 5k and last 5k has the new blacktop.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff according to the markings on the road the first 5k and last 5k has the new blacktop.

Can you be ore specific? I don't know what you are referring to.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I was riding the road there was 10k, 20k turn around, 30 k and 35k markings on the road. The blacktop stopped about 50 yards south of the 35k marking. So 5k of blacktop to start then the last 5k also. So 10k total of new blacktop. Or 9.2 miles from end of blacktop to 20k turnaround.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's interesting. There were never markings on the road before... at least none I noticed.

I would have swore they were much farther along than that when I passed through, but I guess not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have never ridden it so only have the markings and strava to go by, so don't know how old. But you could tell there were a couple of years worth. If you rode on the road and not on the shoulder you would probably not see them.
Quote Reply
Re: Moriarty is being repaved... should be a primo 40k course once again [gabbiev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FYI, here is the registration info for this year...

http://www.newmexicosportsonline.com/...-Time-Trial-2014/769
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: Moriarty is being repaved... should be a primo 40k course once again [gabbiev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any updates on the course condition?
Quote Reply
Re: Moriarty is being repaved... should be a primo 40k course once again [wacomme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any updates on course conditions since this thread? Is this even being held this year?
Quote Reply
Re: Moriarty is being repaved... should be a primo 40k course once again [rvh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rvh wrote:
Any updates on course conditions since this thread? Is this even being held this year?

Good question. I've done it the last four years. I'm thinking of skipping it this year.
Quote Reply
Re: Moriarty is being repaved... should be a primo 40k course once again [wacomme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What were the conditions like last year? Were there substantial portions of chip seal or otherwise slow pavement?
Quote Reply

Prev Next