Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

More is more run update
Quote | Reply
Many of you know I have been running under the run slower, run more philosophy. With the exception of last week where I spent a good deal of time boozing and not really running at all (It was a once in a lifetime event), I have slowly built my mileage week by week. I am now running approximately 30 miles a week and just for kicks jumped in a local 5K last night. My last 5K was 12/31/06 in which I ran 23:31 (7:34/mile), last night 22:23 (7:12/mile). I have not done a single run faster than 8:10/mile since then. No speedwork and 1 tempo run per week. I keep expecting the improvement to slow and my cake to need a layer of icing. It isn't happening.
Quote Reply
Re: More is more run update [saltman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting is the new 5K time a PR for you?

~Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can count on one or two hands the number of runs in which I've gone under about 6:30/mile for any distance since I started with this approach last fall; most runs were 6:40-7:05/mile. Two days ago I did a track workout: 2x800/4x400 with 200 jog between each (no walking), descend them all. 2:50, 2:45, 1:19, 1:16, 1:14, 1:12.

Mmm, icing.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's incredible! The amazing part is if, after having done that for many many months, you threw in one 20 minute tempo run once a week and a set of 6x800 with 400 jog once a week.....if you did that for 8 weeks you'd probably take off another minute.

That's the real key. Lots of easy running most of the year, then hit it with some intensity for a couple of months leading up to your race. Rinse. Repeat.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Barry knows my deal also but the fastest i ran last year in a 10k tri was right around 7:47

First 10k out of the gates this year i ran a 6:47/mile. With maybe one or two speed work sessions leading up to it.

It works you just have to believe it works.

Grant

Grant
----------------------------------------------------
Proudly sponsored by Desoto Sports
Please Support CAF every little bit helps http://raceforareason.kintera.org/grantreuter
Quote Reply
Re: More is more run update [cyclonehockey21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What pace where you running most of your runs? I'm a fan of "more is more" and slower running, just curious to find out what people end up performing like after running at "X" speed for prolonged periods.

~Matt
Quote Reply
Re: More is more run update [MJuric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i cant say for grant, but i just ran a flat 10k in jsut over 37 min, my PR for that before (my only other 10k) was 42:28. up untill about month ago i was simply doing distance. my distance pace has been coming down this whole time, i am running my long stuff about a min per mile faster than when i started the year at the same effort level. my slow stuff right now is right around 7:40-8min miles (rolling hills).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm gonna call it a PR. About 3 years ago I ran 21:26 on a treadmill with no incline, I have never come anywhere near that outside in a race. So yeah, I'd say PR. Also, today I do not feel like I raced at all. I feel like I can go out and run the race again right now. Perhaps, I had a little more in me??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is from my cycling peaks data so its gonna pick up hills that i ran slower on or faster going down... but

From when i started to april 1st of this year.

12.6 percent was 5-6mph
32 percent was 6-7 mph
27.2 percent was 7-8 mph
13.2 was 8-9 mph

So the vast majority of my slow running was between 6-8 mph

Grant

Grant
----------------------------------------------------
Proudly sponsored by Desoto Sports
Please Support CAF every little bit helps http://raceforareason.kintera.org/grantreuter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I remember correctly, Grant was doing all of his runs at pretty close to 10K race pace (7:45/mile) and probably only running 15 miles a week. Last fall he slowed down to ~8:30 - 9:00/mile and slowly built up to almost 40 miles a week.

BTW, Matt, how's YOUR running coming along? Are you doing IMoo again this year?

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: More is more run update [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BTW, Matt, how's YOUR running coming along? Are you doing IMoo again this year?

My running exploded. Was doing well thru Nov of last year. Was getting in 35-40MPW on a consistant basis. Toward the end of Nov with the holiday's I cut back and took a couple weeks recovery time with very little or no running. Came back after New Years, first run 20 minutes into it my foot fell asleep. I'd been having calf tightness but no real "pain" for quite some time but thought nothing of it. Did several runs with the same result, even one time ignoring the numbness and ran anyway...BTW, bad idea for all of you following along at home.

Long story short after Jan, Feb and part of march of stretching, resting and hoping it would get better it didn't. Ended up making an appointment with my PT, well doctor then PT, you know the referral drill.
The PT said either I have some serious muscular scaring impeding blood flow or I have compartment syndrome. Ended up going and seeing a chiropractor that does ART and Graston technique. So far I had one appointment 2 weeks ago and it seems to have helped. Basically I'm on the "Slow Run" more is more routine....well that and get your fat, turkey eating, Christmas cookie devouring ass out there and run program.

After a couple of weeks I feel pretty decent, but can still tell the calf is hosed and need to make another appointment. Hopefully if all goes well I will just build on where I'm at

No IM's or pretty much any other serious races this year. Really want to take some time off, refuel, have some fun and build, build, Build.

~Matt

Quote Reply
Re: More is more run update [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"That's the real key. Lots of easy running most of the year, then hit it with some intensity for a couple of months leading up to your race. Rinse. Repeat"

Barry,

Shhhhhh. You are giving away all the secrets. The reality is, that it's so simple, many will look at this advice and just laugh, thinking it has to be more complicated than this. It's not. Just run!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply