Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Mont Tremblant World Championship Swim Start
Quote | Reply
Anyone else see this? I could be wrong, but as it appears on the official race schedule, Pro's are off at 8a, and ALL A/G racers are off at 8:10a. No waves posted yet, so am I incorrect in thinking they want to make this similar to the Kona start?
Quote Reply
Re: Mont Tremblant World Championship Swim Start [Raw Oyster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i saw this as well, and am wondering if there is even enough room to start 2000 people there at once...

-----------------------------------------------------
Check out my website/blog: http://www.macheetri.com
Infinit Ambassador: Use INFINIT-P29DC for $5.00 off
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unlikely. I can't imagine they'll do it without waves.

Quote | Reply
Raw Oyster wrote:
Anyone else see this? I could be wrong, but as it appears on the official race schedule, Pro's are off at 8a, and ALL A/G racers are off at 8:10a. No waves posted yet, so am I incorrect in thinking they want to make this similar to the Kona start?

No, this just means that the waves start at 8:10 am for age groupers, not a mass start gong show draft fest, which is what it would be with that deep a field, with a 1.9K swim. Expect to see a fairly wide separation between waves, which was what was mentioned at the 70.3 at Tremblant. They actually broke the June 70.3 into more waves per age group to see how less dense they could make it. It certainly worked better than the previous year's 70.3 but still with the WC's depth of field, they were thinking more time between waves. But you will get wave starts, my understanding is that they have not yet published them.
Quote Reply
Re: Mont Tremblant World Championship Swim Start [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd check out last years WC for reference re: time gaps etc.

I remember in 2012 being first wave after the PRO fields - it was awesome being out the front of the race! Expecting a bit more company this time :)

Coaching - Future Endurance
Quote Reply
Re: Mont Tremblant World Championship Swim Start [steve_c] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Dev/Steve. Would make total sense to have waves as they have in year's past, but the verbiage in the Athlete Guide saying "Athlete Official Start - All Age Groups" does lend itself to a little confusion. But given the depth of the field, Dev, I think you're on point. It would change the dynamics of the race completely.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Give it a few more days. Was a wave start last year and would expect it to be this year, too. Can't crowd the 70.3 WC's with a mass start.

Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Mont Tremblant World Championship Swim Start [sportstats] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sportstats wrote:

Marc, if I am reading this correctly, all the guys in each age group start in a single wave...not multiple waves per age group (ex A-L, M-Z). While I like the concept of head to head competition, unless Jimmy Riccitello has a moto Armada the size of the entire Quebec chapter of the Hells Angels, its going to be a fairly massive draft fest on the Mont Ryan and on the Highway 117 given the depth of field. Any reason this is not starting at 7 am, with waves spread further out till 8:30 am or even 9 am? Is it so that all the waves are on the road by the time the pro men come back down Montee Ryan and turn right at the traffic circle (around 70K point) to start the Duplesis section). I would have hoped for more waves and more wave sepration with this depth of field as was done at the Tremblant 70.3. given the depth of field at the WC's and potential drafting.
Quote Reply
Re: Mont Tremblant World Championship Swim Start [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, a 9:00 a.m. start. First time that I've ever gotten to sleep in on race day. Guess it's really 8:56; but who's counting?

leslie myers
http://www.foodsensenow.com
Quote Reply
Re: Mont Tremblant World Championship Swim Start [Honey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No sleep in as I imagine transition will close early.. But, if you're staying in the Village I guess you could go back for a power-nap or coffee :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
sportstats wrote:

Marc, if I am reading this correctly, all the guys in each age group start in a single wave...not multiple waves per age group (ex A-L, M-Z). While I like the concept of head to head competition, unless Jimmy Riccitello has a moto Armada the size of the entire Quebec chapter of the Hells Angels, its going to be a fairly massive draft fest on the Mont Ryan and on the Highway 117 given the depth of field. Any reason this is not starting at 7 am, with waves spread further out till 8:30 am or even 9 am? Is it so that all the waves are on the road by the time the pro men come back down Montee Ryan and turn right at the traffic circle (around 70K point) to start the Duplesis section). I would have hoped for more waves and more wave sepration with this depth of field as was done at the Tremblant 70.3. given the depth of field at the WC's and potential drafting.

+1 Agree with Dev. Would like to see a bit more spread between starts.
Daylight shouldn't be preventing an earlier start, should it? Still a few weeks out from the end of Summer (Fall Equinox)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
steve_c wrote:
No sleep in as I imagine transition will close early.. But, if you're staying in the Village I guess you could go back for a power-nap or coffee :)

What we need is for Marc Roy to set up a espresso bar outside transition while we watch the pros start and wait for our waves!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
steve_c wrote:

What we need is for Marc Roy to set up a espresso bar outside transition while we watch the pros start and wait for our waves!

Now that is the best idea I've heard yet! Though I prefer a toilet between my caffeine and my race start...but I'd certainly go there! Certainly hope there is enough separation....I HATE when things get bunched up on the bike...and I have to choose...follow the rules to the letter and sacrifice minutes to a cheating peleton versus becoming part of the problem......

Powder blue cap....do I need to coordinate my wetsuit to this? :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not really. Have to think of everybody. It kind of sucks when you are older, already slower, then start 1 hour later. Means you get to the finizh line when everyone else has gone home !
I have been doing this long enough to know a more 'front pack,' feeling and have also experienced aid station volounteers falling asleep with boredom.Just do not draft. Believe me drafting starts with you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev, largest wave we estimate the largest age group will be under 300 with the drops. Also yes because its a world championship we cannot separate the waves as you are all racing within your own division.
As far as the spread this is the maximum we can do since we do not want overlap from the last biker coming out of the transition and the first pro returning on the bike....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sportstats wrote:
Dev, largest wave we estimate the largest age group will be under 300 with the drops. Also yes because its a world championship we cannot separate the waves as you are all racing within your own division.
As far as the spread this is the maximum we can do since we do not want overlap from the last biker coming out of the transition and the first pro returning on the bike....

OK, but i swear that at Vegas we had multiple waves per age group. While I like head to head, I prefer less congestion. Please get quadruple the number of zebra guys out there.....maybe the Quebec Hells Angels can show up and threaten any blatent pelotons!

By the way, one way to extend the waves and have zero overlap is make the outbound riders go around the traffic circle on the right at the bottom of Montee Ryan versus us passing on the left. This should provide 30 more minutes of time and at least more time between age groups, so that all age groups are out of T1 by the time the pros come in. if the last wave is 90 min after the pros,and the swim cut off is 1 hours (is it?), then when the pros come in at just over 2:30, all age groupers are out.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Eppur si muove [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: Eppur si muove: Aug 20, 14 7:14
Re: Mont Tremblant World Championship Swim Start [sidelined] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sidelined wrote:
Not really. Have to think of everybody. It kind of sucks when you are older, already slower, then start 1 hour later. Means you get to the finizh line when everyone else has gone home !
In my case, it means I get to T1 when everyone else has already biked out of sight.

-----
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
Which is probably why I was registering 59.67mi as I rolled into T2.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am just excited that for once M 18-24 will not be dead last happened at my last 3 races. Score!!!!

-----------------------------------------------------
Check out my website/blog: http://www.macheetri.com
Infinit Ambassador: Use INFINIT-P29DC for $5.00 off
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sportstats wrote:

The M40-44 group has to be near 300+. How is the start of that swim congesion wise?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It would be nice if they would actually publish an Athlete Guide before everyone sets off for Canada.

-----
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
Which is probably why I was registering 59.67mi as I rolled into T2.

Quote Reply
Re: Mont Tremblant World Championship Swim Start [Eppur si muove] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 on the Athlete Guide. The type A/ADD/OCD in me wants all the details before I set into motion of packing for this trip.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

By the way, one way to extend the waves and have zero overlap is make the outbound riders go around the traffic circle on the right at the bottom of Montee Ryan versus us passing on the left. This should provide 30 more minutes of time and at least more time between age groups, so that all age groups are out of T1 by the time the pros come in. if the last wave is 90 min after the pros,and the swim cut off is 1 hours (is it?), then when the pros come in at just over 2:30, all age groupers are out.

Dev, I've read this several times and looked at Google maps and the course maps. I don't get what you mean by this at all. Do you mean the first traffic circle you hit after leaving transition?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think the issue is the round-about but the entrance/exit of transition.

Fastest male pros have a possibility of 23 minute swim, 3 minute transition, 2:02 bike for a total of 2:28 coming back into transition.
Slowest age grouper has the possibility of 1:08 start time deficit, 1:10 to complete swim, 10 minute transition or 2:28 before they exit transition to start the bike.
Quote Reply

Prev Next